FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first FN pistol so I was pretty excited to see the compact version come out. I've had it for about three weeks now and love just about everything about this pistol except for how I am shooting it.

It feels good in the hand. It's a good looking pistol. I just can't seem to shoot it well.

My first few magazines with Remington PMC were low at 7 yards.

A few days later I had a friend over that is an experienced shooter and wanted to see what he thought about my new pistol. He was shooting even lower.

We each had one or two holes in a plate at 7 yards out of each mag we shot. This was with a box of Monarch steel ammo so we were blaming the ammo.

This weekend I was able to get out and test the box of the Monarch versus a box of Perfecta to try and see what the problem was.

Here is a picture of what the Monarch looked like at seven yards. I switched to the Perfecta and it was almost exactly the same with them hitting in the 8 ring and to the left. I even had someone else shoot and they were low and left as well.

Each of these shots were slow and concentrating on the top of the sites being lined up across the top of the green.
2015-04-13 10.59.54.jpg

I then shot off a bench and resting the best I could on my jacket. It could have been better, but each shot was slow and I was concentrating on how I pulled the trigger. It looks better, but still a little low and to the left for 7 yards.

2015-04-13 11.00.39.jpg

I just saw the post about cleaning up a gritty trigger. I don't necessary feel my trigger is gritty, but something is going on and it's looking like how I am squeezing the trigger.

Would you agree this is completely me?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
small guns are hard to shoot. I don't know what your experience with guns with stubby grips are, but I find them harder to shoot, and it takes practice not to shoot low. Are you shooting low with the 17 round mag too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
in my experience the shorter the grip and the shorter sight radius is makes me want to shoot low. I think with a little practice you will be OK. My fns9c at 15 yards is dead on if I take my time and do my part.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It also bears mentioning (just in case you didn't know) that FN handguns use a Combat (Center) Hold for targeting, not a Six O'Clock sight picture. I say this because when I let someone else try out my FNS, it throws them off nearly every time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am a lefty and I have the exact opposite issue with my FNS-9 (not the C). My groups looked just like yours only to the right. I ended up going to a range that had a competent smith and he started drifting the rear sight until I got it where I wanted it.
As for the "low part", keep in mind that FNS pistols (for the most part) utilize a "combat hold" or "center mass". On your next outing, align your sights (equal height equal light) and put the front dot on the center of the target instead of the target being on top of your sight. Just a thought...but each gun is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I will go back to the range this weekend if there is a break in the rain and just use the full size magazine to eliminate my grip as playing a part in the problem.

The resting shots were with the full magazine, but I was getting low shots with the full magazine when I first started. At that time I was still thinking it was the ammo and by the time I switched to the perfecta I had used all magazines and didn't see a change in accuracy.

Site picture.....I was using the "cover up" hold because it was hitting so low. My sites were equal height and covering the green. I drew a line on the first target across the top of the green where I was aiming. Everyone that I have let shoot has used the 6 o'clock hold and hit a foot under the target.

I'll give it a good cleaning and oil the contact points as per the gritty trigger thread and see if I see any changes and report back what I find.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am a lefty and I have the exact opposite issue with my FNS-9 (not the C). My groups looked just like yours only to the right. I ended up going to a range that had a competent smith and he started drifting the rear sight until I got it where I wanted it.
As for the "low part", keep in mind that FNS pistols (for the most part) utilize a "combat hold" or "center mass". On your next outing, align your sights (equal height equal light) and put the front dot on the center of the target instead of the target being on top of your sight. Just a thought...but each gun is different.
^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

At 7 yards, I have hold the front sight near the top of the target, nearly covering the entire target. After shooting 6 o'clock hold for years, it still takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just bought a FNSc 9mm the other day and put 300 rounds thru it over two range sessions.

I love it, amazing little carry gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was cleaning my FNS 9c and found a nice little surprise. Not even a full two boxes of ammo and the finish is already gone. I would have expected it to last longer that that.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was cleaning my FNS 9c and found a nice little surprise. Not even a full two boxes of ammo and the finish is already gone. I would have expected it to last longer that that.
I've got the same mark on mine. I think it's just brass from the casing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at the picture it looks like that, but in person it's looks like a scratch and the finish is gone. More silver than brass. I worked it with Red's bore cleaner if it was brass, but no luck.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That's brass. Leave some CLP on it for a while and it'll come off. The finish FN uses is quite good in my experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sub compact pistols are just harder to shoot well. I had a Glock 27 for a while and never did get to where I liked it. I decided to go back to my 23 and I shoot it great. I'd say you are suffering from a small pistol, they will never be a target pistol no matter what you do to them..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sub compact pistols are just harder to shoot well. I had a Glock 27 for a while and never did get to where I liked it. I decided to go back to my 23 and I shoot it great. I'd say you are suffering from a small pistol, they will never be a target pistol no matter what you do to them..
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I'm use to a 1911 and other hammer pistols.
This is my first striker fire and I actually feel like the 9s are harder to shoot more accurately.
I rented a M&P 45c and 9c at a range before deciding to buy the FNS9c. I hated the triggers in the m&ps and my accuracy with the 9c was horrible yet I was stacking holes with the 4" 45.

Well here's my update.
I couldn't get to the range, but I can do a little shooting in my yard from time to time. We live outside city limits, but all the neighbors try to keep the shot count down.

I changed to the smaller backstrap and just used the full size magazine. I also had given it a good cleaning and have been working the slide and trigger to break it in.

I do think it's getting better and hopefully they will continue to get tighter and keep moving closer to my point of aim.
2015-04-19 17.58.25.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has been my experience (Glocks for the first time) that "Low Lefts" for a right handed person, and "Low Rights" for a Lefty are normally trigger control issues. Also in my case it was more apparent with my Glock 34 than my Glock 19, (Longer barrel = more time to jerk it further off line". Luckily I haven't had this problem in quite some time and have no issues with my new FNS-9C other than the POA hold but I will get used to that. My point being: Try to do everything that you can with training before drifting the sights off the slide..... Best Luck!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I let the range instructor shot mine at 7 yards the first day I shot it. He put 3 rounds in the same hole. Total hole size was about a 1" slash after 5 rounds.
It is not the pistol. It is one's technique.
I don't shoot as well as the instructor.
I do get similar groups with my FNS9 and 9C.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts