FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I shot the thing for the first time last weekend. I used the standard iron sites and an Aimpoint CompML. I shot at paper as well as steel. I went out as far as 200 yards, but stayed mostly at 100. I brought it in as close as 50, too.

1.) What a neat gun! Lots of looks from those around me, and many requests to handle/shoot it. It was universally liked by everyone there.

2.) The standard iron sites pretty much suck, but I was able to get pretty reliable hits at 100 yards on my swinging 5" steel target. I didn't like how far down they make you get on them. I suppose that's good for maintaining your spot weld, but I found it to be restrictive and didn't need that sort of cue.

3.) Using the Aimpoint, I was able to get rapid fire hits while standing on steel at 200 yards. "Ting-ting-ting..." all day long. Nice. Groups on paper were every bit as good as my M4.

4.) At 50 yards, this thing was a blast. You could basically point the weapon in the general direction of the target and get a very satisfying "thunk!" in return. Rapid firing while moving yielded hits as well. It's comfy, if a bit bulky, and points naturally.

5.) I was worried that the weird trigger would throw me off. It doesn't have a crisp let-off like an AR, so I was thinking I might have a hard time with it. Honestly, I didn't even notice it while shooting.

6.) The magazine release worked nicely. Mag changes while moving were easy, once I got used to reaching behind the trigger group! (This is my first Bullpup.) My hand naturally went right into the release and the pull-out was smooth if a little forceful.

7.) Recoil seems no more or less than an M4, although it feels VERY different. You don't have that "springy" feeling that you've come to expect (and love) in an AR, but it's manageable and has its own character.

8.) Ejection is interesting. As most of you know, the FS2000's bolt pulls out the fired case, HOLDS ONTO IT, angles it upward, then pushes it forward into the ejection tube. The forward momentum of the mechanism propels the case with enough force that it travels the length of the tube, hits the ejection port cover (if closed), opens it up, and exits pretty much forward. If you're pointing up or for some reason the case did not make it out, then next one will usually push it out with it when it comes. In this way you can actually get a round or two in there over time, and you may be surprised when you lean forward and a couple come spilling out. Most of the time the cases come out on every shot, but not always. I didn't really notice it while firing, so it's not annoying or distracting.

9.) I and the others with me put a good 400 rounds through it. Despite the fact that I didn't clean it at all after buying it (it had some styrofoam from the box in it), I didn't have a single malfunction of any kind. I was shooting Spanish SS109 ammo exclusively, although it felt so solid I don't think it would have mattered as long as the ammo I was using was of decent quality.

I really like this rifle, and it's going to become one of the few "shooters" in my collection of mostly wall-hangers. I may get used to the ergonomics of it, but I think I'll always prefer my M4. Variety is nice, and it's a great rifle, but there's something about the M4 that makes it feel like it's a part of me, and I just don't feel that with the FS2000. I may revise that feeling over time, and I'll let you know if I do.

We also shot my FNC, AKM, and Ruger PC40 carbine at the same time. Pretty much everyone liked the FS2000 the best, although my niece liked the AKM. Go figure!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Really nice review. I have had mine for about 2 months and put about 1K rounds through it and its interesting that I feel the same way about my 10.5" AR. The FN is a lot of fun and I absolutely love it but there is just something about picking up an AR and pulling the trigger. Maybe I am just so use to an AR its in my comfort zone? Maybe in time that will change.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great review! I mirror your feelings exactly with exception of the AR comments. The FS2000 is the first .223 semi auto that I have owned, so when I pick up an AR, I feel like IT is strange. The first thing I notice when I pick up an AR is that it is front heavy compared to the FS. This, for me, makes it harder to hold on target. I'm sure if I had started on ARs I wouldn't even notice this.
I find the FS2000 to be an amazing rifle and a blast to own and shoot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts