FN Herstal Firearms banner

Shooting Sight striker

11208 Views 71 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  Taylor214
Got the new Shooting Sight striker from Art today. It looks MUCH more substantial than the factory striker. Shipped super fast and installation was very simple. Took maybe 10 minutes only because that little pin is a pain to line up lol. I'm really looking forward to putting it through its paces !
Gun barrel Trigger Video game accessory Gun accessory Electric blue
See less See more
Reactions: 5
21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Very nice striker. Noticeable difference in the trigger feel. Highly recommend.

Note: mine is not compatible with the apex trigger, won’t reset.
Strange.
Apex technical support says the geometry of the shootingsight sear is different enough from factory that it isn’t compatible.
Apex technical support says the geometry of the shootingsight sear is different enough from factory that it isn’t compatible.
I might be missing something, mine seems to work.
Reactions: 1
I have a gun that a customer just sent me with an Apex trigger, where the trigger won't reset sometimes . I'll be trying to diagnose what is going on. If it failed all the time, I'd line up with the Apex explanation that it is a geometry change. But it does not, it is only occasional. And it works with the factory trigger just fine. Customer stated it never happened in dry firing, only when he loaded a mag, and even then, only on the first shot.

I have managed to duplicate the problem a few times, but not consistently. The trigger resets 'mostly', but not quite far enough that the safety pops forward, so when you go to pull the trigger, the safety locks.

I'll be spending more time digging into what I think is going on, and I'll report back what I find.
I have a gun that a customer just sent me with an Apex trigger, where the trigger won't reset sometimes . I'll be trying to diagnose what is going on. If it failed all the time, I'd line up with the Apex explanation that it is a geometry change. But it does not, it is only occasional. And it works with the factory trigger just fine. Customer stated it never happened in dry firing, only when he loaded a mag, and even then, only on the first shot.

I have managed to duplicate the problem a few times, but not consistently. The trigger resets 'mostly', but not quite far enough that the safety pops forward, so when you go to pull the trigger, the safety locks.

I'll be spending more time digging into what I think is going on, and I'll report back what I find.
Just FYI: On the phone they mentioned that they have a “new current” sear. And when I sent them a picture of it they confirmed “yes that’s the new one”.

They were very helpful and tried multiple ways to troubleshooting while keeping the shooting sight striker in the gun. They even offered to send another kit but I told them to wait until I got a factory striker to try.

They recognized your striker from installed pictures without me divulging anything about the gun having a new striker.
Just FYI: On the phone they mentioned that they have a “new current” sear. And when I sent them a picture of it they confirmed “yes that’s the new one”.
Would ya mind posting a picture of the top and bottom of the sear?
Would ya mind posting a picture of the top and bottom of the sear?

I’m not going to take it apart right now but maybe in the future.
See less See more
Guitar accessory Bicycle part String instrument accessory Font Musical instrument accessory

Original Apex Tactical Specialties sear for the FN 509

Household hardware Font Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

original FN 509 sear
See less See more
I own a stock FNS 9 bronze slide that has the “upgraded” striker from FN. I’ve got about 1000 rounds through mine and it still feels gritty. I will post my results here with the new shootingsight striker once I receive mine! Just placed an order.
I own a stock FNS 9 bronze slide that has the “upgraded” striker from FN. I’ve got about 1000 rounds through mine and it still feels gritty. I will post my results here with the new shootingsight striker once I receive mine! Just placed an order.
Still going to be gritty because the striker has very little to do with the resistance and grit in the trigger.
Still going to be gritty because the striker has very little to do with the resistance and grit in the trigger.

it would seem the striker definitely makes the trigger pull smoother.
I'm glad I popped in here and read this thread before buying the SS striker. I have two 509Ts that are fully Apex'd with two very different triggers. I was hoping the SS striker would help with the 509 that has poorer trigger.
I'm glad I popped in here and read this thread before buying the SS striker. I have two 509Ts that are fully Apex'd with two very different triggers. I was hoping the SS striker would help with the 509 that has poorer trigger.
The SS striker I bought 100% improved my trigger pull on my old FNS.
I have gotten mixed reviews. Some people have said my striker works fine with their APEX trigger, a few people have had problems. I'm looking at it, but have not diagnosed the issue yet. Best I can say is that I offer money back guarantee on my products, so if it does not work, there is no financial risk.

As to the striker being part of the gritty feel of a trigger, it definitely is. The round channel in the slide that the striker rides in is drilled. Maybe they also run a finish reamer, but in either case, the cutting tool is rotating like a drill. This means the surface finish in that channel will have little ridges running in a circular direction in that channel - ie perpendicular to the direction of travel of the striker. Since the striker spring acts along the centerline of the striker, while the sear pulls back on the 'tail', which is below the striker centerline, the resulting forces will create a torque, making the tip of the striker want to rotate down, and the back of the striker rotate up. Result is that the top rear of the striker is being pushed against the tool marks of the drilling operation, so you get metal on metal contact dragging the striker across a rough surface. Hence the grit.

Glock and the S&W M&P solve this the same way I do: I have a teflon insert, they have plastic caps on the ends of their strikers, so you avoid metal-metal contact. The plastic-metal sliding is much smoother.
See less See more
Ran 200+ rounds of steel case Winchester today.

not a single problem or hiccup with the SS striker. Ran like a sewing machine.

Trigger Air gun Motor vehicle Gas Machine gun
See less See more
Art,

I received my SS Stryker last night and it did not work with my Apex trigger. I swapped the Apex sear out for the OE sear and it worked as advertised. I even swapped an Mcarbo spring kit in it and it worked even better. I have a 9mm laser snap cap and the Stryker has enough force to set off the laser. I'll come back with a range report to let everyone know how everything works.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
So I diagnosed the problem: on the customer's gun, the sear was occasionally not engaging the striker tail when the slide cycled, which would also mean the trigger would not reset. The tail on my striker is slightly shorter than factory, to reduce 2nd stage creep. It appears that some Apex sears also sit lower in the frame, either by design, or due to manufacturing tolerances. So between these, you can get a combination where there is almost no overlap. Then, insert a full mag, so the magazine spring is pushing the slide up versus the frame, and it is an issue.

My strikers are machined, the Apex sears are bent steel, which I know is not as precise, so my guess is that this is simply a tolerance stack up issue, and why some people saw an issue, others did not. Dunno if my customer's gun is old or new sear, so more digging is in order to fully develop a solution, but at least I know what the problem is.
See less See more
Reactions: 3
@ShootingSight

I absolutely love the SS striker but I was wondering about something, not sure if this has been covered before but do the Teflon rings on the striker wear down or have any risk of breaking? Not sure if they were a removable wear part or what
Have not cycled it to the point of failure. It is not pure teflon, but a teflon containing polymer that is used to make bushings for shafts, so it is wear resistant, and I imagine it will be many thousands of rounds before an issue could appear.
Reactions: 2
21 - 40 of 72 Posts