FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
What's the recommended minimum distance for shooting steel targets with 5.7x28 from an FN PS90?

I shoot handgun calibers like 9mm as close as 7 yards (from pistols, not carbines), but rifles/carbines are generally suggested to be out as far as 100 yards minimum. Those are typically high-powered centerfire cartridges, though. I know people shoot pistol-caliber carbines much closer, but I probably wouldn't get closer than 30 yards. I'm just not sure about 5.7x28, though. It's a high-velocity cartridge, so I don't want to do anything wrong.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I routinely shoot at 25 yards but my 25 yard steel target is angled down (top Leaning toward me) that way all the shrapnel is directed downward. This is 197. I shot at 35 yards one time at a straight up down steel target and not only did I see a good size chunk of projectile ricochet off of the dirt next to my foot but I cought a tiny sliver of jacket in my hand. Make sure the target is angled down.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
We have done 25 but that just seemed too easy and became boring pretty fast . So we just use the pistols @ that range.
It is such a flat shooting round that reaching out past 100 was more of a challenge.
Just my .02

·
Registered
325 Posts
so I don't want to do anything wrong.
What could possibly go wrong? Here, hold my beer.
Shot some tannerite once with the five seven, was just determined to do it and kept moving closer and closer, ended up about 20 yards away. Turns out, you can fix stupid.
But I do shoot steel at 20 yards, standing at an angle to it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Our local range allows only pistols on the steel on the 12 yd and 50 yd ranges. However, rifles (and the PS-90) is allowed to shoot the steel at 100 yd.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of different answers so far. The key is safety for me.

I'd like to have multiple steel targets at varying distances, so I was hoping to be able to shoot maybe at 25, 50, 100 and so on. If it isn't safe, I won't do it.

·
FN Supporter
435 Posts
A lot of different answers so far. The key is safety for me.

I'd like to have multiple steel targets at varying distances, so I was hoping to be able to shoot maybe at 25, 50, 100 and so on. If it isn't safe, I won't do it.
As long as the steel is smooth you should be fine. NEVER shoot steel that has been cratered by rifle fire at pistol distances.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also, I'm sure you already know this, but EVERYONE present MUST wear good eye protection anytime you are shooting steel. A bit of copper jacket coming back and hitting you will generally not even break the skin, but if you catch a piece in your eye, it could be a very bad day!

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
I got hit once in the leg shooting steel with a 1911 back in the 1990s. I was wearing shorts. I backed the hell up after that, and never did it with shorts again. I just had a tiny cut, but it scared me at first.

·
Vendor
148 Posts
I would say about 35 yards, as long as the steel is slanted and or hanging from chains. As others stated NEVER shoot at a steel target with little "volcanoes" in it. And nothing makes better volcanoes than an AR with M855 / green tip. It will go it the hole, turn, and come right straight back at the shooter. If your steel has these holes in it they are easy to fix. Just grind down the part sticking out so it's flat, then fill it with weld and grind again. If you really feel the need to get close, shoot wood or a paper target in a wood stand.

If your using M855 I would stay back at least 50 yards, and the steel needs to be hanging from chains and / or slanted. If you see or hear things coming back twards you move back. It will all depend on how your steel is held, 100 yards is your best bet though. The real problem comes when your shooting pistols and someone takes a shot at those steel targets that have been shot with the AR. You now have targets that return fire!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would say about 35 yards, as long as the steel is slanted and or hanging from chains. As others stated NEVER shoot at a steel target with little "volcanoes" in it. And nothing makes better volcanoes than an AR with M855 / green tip. It will go it the hole, turn, and come right straight back at the shooter. If your steel has these holes in it they are easy to fix. Just grind down the part sticking out so it's flat, then fill it with weld and grind again. If you really feel the need to get close, shoot wood or a paper target in a wood stand.
How far away is safe with the volcano'ed steel and 855? 100 yards? Or do you mean never? (Mine's hanging on chains)
edit to clarify the question: asking about shooting previously volcano'ed steel with new 855 from 100 yards, not pistols or pistol distances.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My range won't allow 5.7 to be shot at steel. They say the velocity is too high and will ruin the plate. I'm not an expert, just passing along what I have been told.
I just have mild steel and have shot at it with 197 and 198 from the PS90 and it barely leaves a mark on 3/8 scrap pieces. Their range, their rules I guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I shoot AR500 plates that are angled down and hanging from chains.

When I shoot handgun cartridges (i.e. 9mm, .38 special, et etc), the closest I shoot is 7 yards. I typically shoot pistols at 7, 10 & 15 yards. If it's a pistol-caliber SBR or carbine, I don't get closer than 15 yards, but I'm usually out at 35 to 50 yards. I shoot rifle cartridges at 100 yards, no closer.

I'm still not sure what the safest minimum distance is for shooting the 5.7 cartridge from a PS90. I was assuming the closest distance that's still safe is 50 yards, but there are a lot of different opinions so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts