FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to put 200 rounds of FMJ and 16 rounds of JHP thru my FNP9 today...

Strangest range session I have ever had.

First - the gun feels nice. But, all U guys know my love for the P99 A/S by Walther. The Walther has the FNP beat in ergonomics... Sorry...

However, in SA mode - the accuracy of this FNP rivals my accuracy with the P99. I was super impressed...

Now, the strange part. From the first shot - EVERY case hit me in the face. I was shooting CCI Blazer Aluminum... I thought that maybe the lighter, aluminum cases was the cause. So, I bought 1 box of range ammo. No luck. Still did it. And, ALL three mags failed to lock the slide back...

However... all is not lost... I figured I'd be calling Bob at FN next Monday... Well, around the 120 round mark, the mags started to lock the slide back. In the beginning, they only locked the slide back 1 out of every 3 mags. Then 1/2 the time. And after 120 rounds - it locked back EVERY time.

Also - after about 150 rounds, only 1 out of every 4 or 5 rounds were hitting me in the face.

By the end, it was only maybe 1 out of 10....

That is strange. I've never had a gun do that before...

What I THINK may be the cause... I have heard that the FNP's recoil spring may be TOO strong, until the gun gets broken in. I had forgotten this. The word from people who occasionally got jams in their new gun was to lock the slide back for 2 weeks. That was to help break in the recoil spring, and the problems usually went away.

I forgot about this... And, to be honest - no one has reported this before (my issues) - at least not that I can remember. I assume that my 2 issues were due to the recoil spring pulling the slide back to fast. And, after some rounds, the problems lessened.

So, I won't be sending the gun back afterall. I expect that on my next trip - these problems will go away. But, strange...

I didn't save any targets, as I was focused on these other 2 issues. But, the gun never jammed, and it is VERy accurate. I'd say that the P99 and FNP9 are the 2 most accurate 9mms I've ever shot - and I can tell you that I have owned MANy guns over the years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting.

I bought my FNP used, so I really can't contribute my experiences, since it was already broken in.

If your reporting is accurate, and we assume it trends will continue, then yeah, the issues will probably go away.

Keep us updated. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hope it does straighten out. My FNP9 and M both almost put the brass in a neat little pile about 6-7' away at my 4 o'clock position? Have 8 mags for 9 & 9 mags for M & never had failure to lock. Good luck!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forestranger said:
Hope it does straighten out. My FNP9 and M both almost put the brass in a neat little pile about 6-7' away at my 4 o'clock position?
Well, towards the very end - it started to do that 7 times out of 10, and 1 or 2 times, it threw them to the 7 o'clock area.

I'm keeping the slide locked back for a week or so.

Now, the JHP casings did not hit me at all - even in the beginning. Only the FMJ casings. Weird...

·
Registered
873 Posts
What JHPs were you shooting?

If they were hotter than the FMJs that might account for the more reliable function on a non-broken in weapon.

Glad to hear your accuracy findings are in line with what most of us have reported on FNPs.

Do try to bear in mind the price difference between the FNP and the Walther as well. I still think the FNP series represents a great value for the dollar.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was shooting WWB JHP - I researched the round last year - and I just keep that in all my guns now. Price is right, and the performance is comparable. But they are heavier rounds, and also probably a little hotter, like ya said.

The gun worked 100% - nary a jam. Usually hat's an issue with a break in of a gun. THese things were just strange. But, I'm just happy that they seems to be going away.

I hope to meet up with Tex Armadillo next month. Guess I'll bring the FNP and put 100 rounds more thru it to see how it shakes out.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mray4198 said:
Hey Shipwreck. Just curious, did you experience any of the dreaded gouging of the slide like I did?
Not yet - I haven't seen a good pic of it, though - on other people's guns. I just looked at the pic of a black slide someone posted on another thread here - but the pic is too dark, and I can't see any details on it.

I just racked the slide 200 times just now - I should be good to go next time I hit the range :shock:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had a similiar experience on my FNP-40. It needed one range session of break-in time to get the slide to lock back properly. Functions flawlessly after that. Same goes for the shell casings, although I only had maybe 2 or 3 out of a 100 rounds hit me on extraction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Shot mine today! Absolutely loved it.

Got it home to clean it and....is it just me or does stainless steel show GSR like nobody's business??? Holy cow. I cleaned it for about a half an hour (I am a perfectionist).

(I picked up "GSR" from watching CSI. Cool huh??) :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My FNP slide is black - but I do have some hard chromed and slainless slides - yes, the grime shows up more on those...

·
Registered
912 Posts
ShipWreck, . . . . I found your statement, about your FNP's accuracy, to be interesting. You said that you were more accurate with it than your P99. In one of my threads, looking for an accurate 9mm, you mentioned getting a P99. I have an FNP-9 and have found it to be pretty accurate. I'm just wondering, now, if something like a CZ would actually BE anymore accurate than my FNP-9? Perhaps not. :-?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Any modern pistol has the capacity for very good accuracy when fired from a machine rest. The problems arise with the meat servo interface.

:-D

If you are comfortable with weapon A, and not with weapon B, you will probably shoot weapon A better, regardless of their mechanical accuracy potential.

I don't shoot my CZs any better than my FNP 45. However, I shoot both of them better than many others.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Orion said:
ShipWreck, . . . . I found your statement, about your FNP's accuracy, to be interesting. You said that you were more accurate with it than your P99. In one of my threads, looking for an accurate 9mm, you mentioned getting a P99. I have an FNP-9 and have found it to be pretty accurate. I'm just wondering, now, if something like a CZ would actually BE anymore accurate than my FNP-9? Perhaps not. :-?
Well, I stated that it "rivals it." I never claimed it beat it. BUt, its close. Very close.

Not sure what to tell U about 1 gun vs another. I have owned quite a few handguns since I bought my 1st in 1993. None have shot as well as my fullsize P99. The FNP9 is almost the same.

But, I have owned some handguns that others claim are their favs. So, I think ya just gotta find the gun that works best for you.

I still like the user adjustable sights of the P99, and many other features as well.

However - I may make this FNP my new CCW. I've been carrying my P99c since 2005. Its my fav subcompact (but I still like the fullsize P99 better) - but obviously, I shoot better with a larger gun.

Its about the same size as my P99 - but I don't wanna tear up my P99 by carrying it - and it is my nightstand gun. But, unless I'm wearing something where I must have the subcompact - I think it makes a great concealed carry

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hey Blitz, . . . do you find the grip angle and feel of the FNP and the CZ pistols to be fairly close? Perhaps that may have something to do with you being able to shoot them both about the same.

Anyway, thanks for your input on that. If I got a CZ and ended up not shooting it any better than my FNP, I would find that as a tragic "waste of money", . . . . because I could have used it on something else. . . . . like more ammo to become more profecient with the FNP-9. :?

·
Registered
873 Posts
The CZ and FNP 9 or 40 are very similar. The CZ is a bit better, but not by muxh. The FNP 45 is very much bigger, but still good. I think the FNs have a little shorter double action trigger reach than the CZs do, but I've never actually measured it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If I went with a CZ, though, I'd get one from Angus and have a single action trigger installed.

I may forego that, though, since it may not gain me much on accuracy, over the FNP-9, and stick to finding a good carry piece.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ShipWreck your range trip was indeed weird! I am glad things are working themselves out. I myself did not have any of these issues with any of the 3 FNP's that I own. Glad you found out it was accurate!

·
Registered
102 Posts
my FNP-40 did the same thing, wouldnt lock the slide and hit me in the face but they both fixed themselves within a range trip. every now and again some weird things happen for instance the last time i went to the range i came home and had spent casings in each of my front pockets. now thats accuracy for you :-D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts