FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thiought I'd ask this question to see what ya'll think. Do you prefer or not prefer to shoot with gloves on.

I'll tell ya my preferences. If its cold out then I want gloves but as a pure like or dislike thing. When I shoot pistol, I don't like gloves but when I shoot Rifle/Carbine I do. I know thats probably backwards but with a pistol I like to feel the action and with gloves on the grip slips a little esp. when shooting single handed. With rifle or carbine, I have both hands on the weapon and it's seated on my shoulder, not to mention cheak wield.

So what do ya'll prefer?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm the same way devildoc. I have shot my pistol with gloves, but it didn't really help, and if I ever need to use it for self defense, I'll never have shooting gloves on. I like gloves for rifles/carbines for some reason. I don't know why, but I just do.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
No gloves for me... in fact, that's something I train... getting my gloves off and then drawing.

Zhur

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll use gloves for cold and heat, but only when I have to.

Although, if you're running an AK, there are all kinds of sharp corners and edges that will gash your hands and fingers if given the opportunity, so I wear gloves when at a training course or if using one heavily.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting input from all. Thanks.

When I do wear gloves, I tend to use Military issue flight gloves, mostly because I have a crap load of them. The leather on the palm side is thin and the burn resistant nomex backside breath well so my hands don't sweat. Also the long sleave's on them make them easy to get on and off quickly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea but i'm in the air force and those thing tend to rip at the fingertips with average use :lol:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I know what you mean. I went though several par's while I was at the Wing. LOL

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
raven11 said:
yea but i'm in the air force and those thing tend to rip at the fingertips with average use :lol:
That dancing milk carton thing cracks me up every time I see it.

I just purchased a pair of underarmor gloves when I was going to the one AFC game in December. Man do those suckers have grip. They look like the gloves that the wide receivers use with the rubbery mesh on the palm and fingers. It handn't occurred to me to try them whilst shooting. I will have to try that.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
In Florida only when I test fire ammo that I develope for obvious reasons. I do not like gloves. When I hunt up north in nothern New Hampshire in the middle of winter I usually only use a pair of wicks for protection unless I am stationary, then I have to use gloves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried gloves and the only ones I like are the Oakley Assalt glove. They feel good and fit my hand just right. I picked them up from Oakley Military Govenment sales before I retired from active duty.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I use Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. Kevlar gloves (slash and cut resistant) when I shoot the semi-auto carbines.

I use 5.11 Tactical or Uncle Mike's shooting gloves for pistol usage. I use Mechanix gloves when shooting shotguns.

I wear gloves all the time. It started from riding dirt bikes. You eat it one time with bare skin, and you'll wear gloves from then on.... :?

I wear nitrile gloves when cleaning guns or wrenching on cars, motorcycles, anything mechanical. To me, it is all about safety -- no finger injuries or absorbing chemicals into your bloodstream. :shock:

I wear Mechanix gloves when I am driving, too. People look at me like I am a poser or a phony, but I don't care...black cars can get so hot you can burn your hands on the shift knob metal inlays...plus, once I open up on them and play them a little tailpipe music, they know why I wear them (hint: your hands really start to sweat anywhere above 120 mph).... :lol:

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
HK SD9 Tactical said:
In Florida only when I test fire ammo that I develope for obvious reasons. I do not like gloves. When I hunt up north in nothern New Hampshire in the middle of winter I usually only use a pair of wicks for protection unless I am stationary, then I have to use gloves.
New Hampshire cold? NAH!!!

Gotta go further north than that for COLD. Like Canada or Alaska, now that is COLD!!!

I know what you mean, since you are from Florida. I am in Mass., so I am climatized to this area. Except for that darn cold damp rain...

Boy do I hate that. :???:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts