FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says I am shopping for a scope. It has been years (many) since my last scope purchase. Boy have things changed in the optics world. I am typically a red dot or iron sites kind of guy. Well I am in the middle of building a rifle and need to decide on a scope for it. It is a 458 socom on a ar platform. According to all my 458 buddies 1-4 or 1-6 or 1.5-7 these type lower range scopes are what I should be using. It is for all intensive purposes a 200 yard or less round. I am looking to spend $500 or less. I have been gathering parts for this build for over a year so I am in no hurry now. If I need to save up a little more money I will but would rather be sub $500 if possible. I do like the reticles that start out bigger then get smaller (duplex I think they call them). I know so little about scopes honestly I am a little overwhelmed. Went to the gun shop to look threw a few and saw some that were very clear and nice but had strange to me reticles I cared not for. Anyways if you have any hints, suggestions, or general schooling when it comes to scopes please share.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Also consider a low power fixed magnification scope, say in the 3x or 4x range. I believe Super Sniper makes a couple of models like that

Reactions: sldcountry

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do you guys think of the new vortex optics crossfire 2 with v brite reticle that is suppose to be coming out soon? $300 msrp
1=4 power with 30 mm tube

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do I want bdc reticle? I will be shooting sub and supersonic as well as suppressed and unsuppressed
do i want 1 inch or 30mm tube
do I really need a lighted reticle

·
Registered
76 Posts
For all intents and purposes, try one of the US Optics with an illuminated reticle. If I had $$$ for two scopes, I would definitely get the SR8. At its lowest power on the FFP, the reticle looks like a red dot. Zoomed in, it looks like a holosight.

If you're anywhere in Houston, I'll introduce you to the local distributor. He'll definitely give you a deal.

...oops i just did a google search and it's at 2k. Check it out anyway. If you end up liking Vortex, my distributor sells it too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts