FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Alright so my Scar 17 is currently on layaway still until Jan 15 (unreasonable impatient but trying to be reasonably responsible and do the whole payment thing on it instead of blowing a huge chuck on money outright), and I have a question from those who may have already done so reguarding throwing a short barrel set up on it!

So mine is the standard barrel length (16in IIRC), and I plan to use it as a more DMR style with longer-ish range engagements. So my question now is, how are these with the short barrel on them? I feel like with a weapon that has the accuracy like this weapon system does, why make it for more close quarter engagements when say you could do what it seems everyone and their grandmothers are doing with the SBR AR styles? Obviously when it comes to whipping weapons around corners and quickly engaging targets is mostly going to come down to the operator of the weapon's skills in such matters, what makes this worth making an sbr and giving up on the extra range?

Personal preference only? It seems like you're giving up a lot throwing a short barrel on one of these, having 10 less rounds then most 5.56 rifles, and overall bulkiness compared to most AR platform sbrs. However considering a lot of SOF guys are running and gunning with these with short barrels there has to be some significant upside?

Can anyone lend me their knowledge or personal experience with a short barrel for one,to help me decide if Im going to invest in a short barrel upper for this or go the AR route!

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do it, do it, DO IT!

I'm huge fan of SBR's. If you're not planning on strictly long range, the 13" would serve you well for most needs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was unaware about the ability to swap out the barrel thats a pretty cool feature. So thats a plus side obviously but how much accuracy at mid level ranges will be lost from swapping out the 16in barrel with a 13in?
(By mid range talking around 4-600 give or take yards. Ball park estimate on what this weapon is capable off, just going off of the accuracy from the POS M16A4's ive been issued, at 500yds and am assuming the 17 will, I would hope, out perform them with ease)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mid-range, I'd be willing to bet none. Long Range is where you might see it.

A friend of mine out here is an 18B (SF Weapons guy). We were going over his gun which has an Elcan 1.5-6 and 13" barrel. We were talking about it's accuracy and he said they were shooting at a 24"x24" steel target at 1100m with their .300WM XM2010's (which is a pleasure to shoot suppressed) and he broke out his MK17CQC and once he got his hold, rang that steel with almost all 20rds.

Granted he is one of their snipers, but with the right ammo and the training, the platform held it's own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Accuracy, per se, should not suffer with a shorter barrel. Velocity will. The 308 is typically capable to 800 or so yards - the distance where its velocity goes sub-sonic.
The SBR will reduce velocity thereby hitting the sub-sonic "barrier" sooner than the same bullet/charge out of a longer barrel. What range this is depends on your muzzle velocity, ballistic co-efficient etc. 400-600yds you should be OK.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well very well then, I was unaware of how it all worked, for some reason I just always assumed a shorter barrel meant less accuracy at range but the velocity makes a more sense. Well this might be swaying me to looking into a shorter barrel for it then.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just always assumed a shorter barrel meant less accuracy at range but the velocity makes a more sense.
It does, but the reason is because of the velocity. You will lose 150-200 feet per second per inch, so that additional 500-600 feet per second could make you reach the transonic (unstable and often inaccurate) speeds 200-300 yards earlier based on the specific load you are using. I personally do not see the need for a close-quarters combat rifle(the only reason I can think of for losing the 3 inches besides appearance) in the .308 caliber as there are better rounds for that purpose. You start using .308 for home protection you will shoot not only through your entire house, but also your closest neighbors. For anything in .308 I would consider getting a 20 inch barrel before I would look at a 13 inch. .308 really shines in that 400-600 yard range. A 13 inch barrel would likely work at that range, but you lose the extra velocity (which also impacts energy). I understand the .308 for combat use, but in that case the government is going to issue me the gun, and it better have the 3 position fun switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think people"me included" contemplate a 13 inch barrel not just for looks. But a more manageable length of the overall weapon. I was thinking of a 13 inch barrel with a can would be cool. Most places I have to shoot are 300 yards or less.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love me some SBR's. If I get a Heavy, it'll be stamped as quick as I can after. It's just a handy size with more than acceptable accuracy for the majority of what you'd need.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I got my 17 I knew I wanted to shorten the barrel to 13 inches unfortunately for me CA does not allow SBR's and so it seemed impossible. But after some research I found out that a BE Meyers FH permanently attached would make my barrel 16 inches so that's what I did. My reasons for the shorter barrel was to have a dual role shtf rifle that would allow me to use the rifle for distance and close up work against 4 and 2 legged threats. From what I have read the 13 inch barrel will give me between 300-600 meters of effective range which is more than enough for what I would need. My rifle has a 1-4 elcan specter dr scope with a tango down fore-grip and a socom insight m3 light. The rifle is light and effective even more so than some of my other set ups. If you do a search under my name I posted a pic of the rifle when I finished it, I am going to take it out for the first time this week to get the data on the 13 inch barrel so I'll post the results later.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Isn't it true it takes a lot to get a class 3 license?
You don't get a license, you get a tax stamp. You're not becoming a dealer, you're just buying/making an NFA weapon. Submit a form 1 or 4 personally or as a trust/LLC, give the BATFE $200 and let the wait begin.

·
Registered
498 Posts
It does, but the reason is because of the velocity. You will lose 150-200 feet per second per inch, so that additional 500-600 feet per second could make you reach the transonic (unstable and often inaccurate) speeds 200-300 yards earlier based on the specific load you are using. I personally do not see the need for a close-quarters combat rifle(the only reason I can think of for losing the 3 inches besides appearance) in the .308 caliber as there are better rounds for that purpose. You start using .308 for home protection you will shoot not only through your entire house, but also your closest neighbors. For anything in .308 I would consider getting a 20 inch barrel before I would look at a 13 inch. .308 really shines in that 400-600 yard range. A 13 inch barrel would likely work at that range, but you lose the extra velocity (which also impacts energy). I understand the .308 for combat use, but in that case the government is going to issue me the gun, and it better have the 3 position fun switch.
It's nowhere near 150-200 fps/inch for a SCAR 17. Depending on the round you are shooting, the SCAR 17 will lose on average 55 fps/inch when going from the factory 16" barrel to the factory 13" barrel. I have chronographed a few rounds with both barrels and will do more when I have time:

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/57431-scar-17-muzzle-velocity-info.html

Shooting the Hornady 155 grain OTM through the 13" SCAR 17, it has a muzzle velocity of 2400 fps and doesn't go transonic until 800 yards. With the 16" barrel that same round goes transonic at 900 yards, so with that particular round going with the shorter barrel only impacts your max attainable distance (velocity-wise) by about 100 yards.

I've shot my 17 out to 650 yards with the 13" barrel with some very promising results. It's much nicer having the shorter barrel when you put a suppressor on it. But I agree if you were looking for just a DMR type rifle gain all of the muzzle velocity that you can with the longer barrel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts