FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shorter front sight for my FNX .40? The POI is way lower than POA. My caliper measures around .215 high but would like something around .195 or so. A shooting bud says to just mill down the front but even with the long dead night sight, I don't think that's a good idea.

Bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there a shorter front sight for my FNX .40? The POI is way lower than POA. My caliper measures around .215 high but would like something around .195 or so. A shooting bud says to just mill down the front but even with the long dead night sight, I don't think that's a good idea.

Bill
The FNX 45 front sight is .002" shorter than FNX40, and both use the same bevel for the groove that's machined into the slide for the sights.

Are your sights OEM from FN? If so, are you using 'combat hold' and covering the target's bullseye with the center dot of the front sight? All of my FNS40s are accurate using this sighting pattern and it's how FN designed the sights to work. I ask if they are OEM because the below specs and different than what you measured.

Product Description
•••••
Description: FNS/FNX-40 Night Sight Set. This sight set is manufactured by Trijicon for FNH USA.
  • Front Sight Height: 0.273"
  • Front Sight Width: 0.130"
  • Rear Notch Width: 0.136"

Description: FNP-45 / FNX-45 Night Sight Set. This sight set is manufactured by Trijicon for FNH USA. The Tritium inserts allow for low light acquisition. All FNH USA sights are t be installed by a qualified gunsmith.

• Front Sight Height: 0.271"
  • Front Sight Width: 0.115"
  • Rear Notch Width: 0.125"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, factory sights AFAIK. The .215 is to the top of the dovetail. .272-.273 to the bottom. My hold has been a target hold, top of front sight even the the center of the bull. I will try what you suggest and see if it helps. Thanks for your help.

Bill

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, factory sights AFAIK. The .215 is to the top of the dovetail. .272-.273 to the bottom. My hold has been a target hold, top of front sight even the the center of the bull. I will try what you suggest and see if it helps. Thanks for your help.

Bill
Gotcha. Overall sight height (including the base, that sits in the landing) is the height to use for reference.

The target hold you shared will absolutely result in the lower point-of-impact. You should see better results when you adjust to combat hold. Look forward to your report, after your next outing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shooting off a rest was much better yesterday but still all over the target shooting unsupported. I guess I need massive amounts of practice shooting it off hand. Funny as I don't have this problem with my Springfield 1911 RO target sight .45

Distance is 25 yards on a 24x24" B8 pistol target.

Bill
Precision sports Circle Arrow Shooting sport Recreation

·
Registered
8 Posts
I note that the FNX pistols have dovetailed sights. If a lower front sight or higher rear sight should be needed, replacement should be easy. Don't know it for a fact, but FN may well have different-height replacements available

·
Registered
249 Posts
Shooting off a rest was much better yesterday but still all over the target shooting unsupported. I guess I need massive amounts of practice shooting it off hand. Funny as I don't have this problem with my Springfield 1911 RO target sight .45

Distance is 25 yards on a 24x24" B8 pistol target.

Bill
View attachment 167687
That's much better than you initially reported. Did you use the combat hold, with front sight's dot over the bulls eye?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts