FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 5-7 handgun today - put 200 rounds thru it. It's sure an expensive eater :D

Anyway - I did have to adjust the sights. BUt, after I had it dialed in where I thought it should be, I benched it on sandbags, and it shot right in the bullseye.

I need to keep practicing with it - like I had to with my USPc. At 5 yards, I hit the bullseye great. At 7 yards, my groups open up a few inches. But, I'm still learning the trigger.

I shoot no other handgun better than my P99 - so I judge pistols by that standard. I still shoot my P99 the best, but the 5-7 shoots as accurately for me as any other gun I shoot. So, I am satisfied.

Everyone talked about the low recoil - so I expected it to be a tad over a 22 in recoil. Actually, it's almost about the same recoil as a 9mm. And wow - there is a flash out the front - especially with the 195 :)

Anyway - I have a new nightstand gun. I like the rounds lack of penetration thru several household walls. That's why I sucked it up and got it. Very nice to have the rear adjustable sight too.

Nice gun!!!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Everyone talked about the low recoil - so I expected it to be a tad over a 22 in recoil. Actually, it's almost about the same recoil as a 9mm. And wow - there is a flash out the front - especially with the 195 :)
+1
You know everyone says that but I would have to agree with you.
It feels like 2/3 the recoil of a 9mm Glock and very close the 115gr 9mm in a good gun.

Glad you like it, it'll start to grow on you :D
And Congrats!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats! I'll have mine soon ... but I'm still jealous. I would like to hear more about what your 1st impressions are though. It's interesting to hear considering that I'm getting mine in about a week.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good report, thx! Agreed about the recoil (isn't it reported as 2/3 the recoil of 9mm?) Now, try shooting it at 100yds and you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was! Keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
17 Posts
interesting report Shipwreck. I love mine. Love it. It shoots so easily and well for me I'm putting sick groups up at 25 yards with the regular sights.

just did this to it.

Just put a cheapo 2X red dot sight on it for now to see if this crappy rail mount will hold a zero. If it does this will be hella fun for 50-100 yard plinking.

I think anyone that's on the fence about buying this gun should get one asap.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not a 100 yard shooter - sorry. My eyes are not the greatest, and I have a tough time at 100 yards with my PS90.

I suppose if I had a huge gong I might be able to hit it at 100 yards. But, the only gun I can shoot decently at 15-30 yards or more is my P99. Any other gun I shoot, I'm only decent at 7-10 yards. Been that way all my life.

I doubt I'd even hit the paper with the gun at 100 yards.

The next time I shoot my PS90, Maybe I'll try the 5-7 on the 25 yard range. I suppose I could do 100 yards resing on a sandbag - but never freehand.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I am not a 100 yard shooter - sorry. My eyes are not the greatest, and I have a tough time at 100 yards with my PS90.

I suppose if I had a huge gong I might be able to hit it at 100 yards. But, the only gun I can shoot decently at 15-30 yards or more is my P99. Any other gun I shoot, I'm only decent at 7-10 yards. Been that way all my life.

I doubt I'd even hit the paper with the gun at 100 yards.

The next time I shoot my PS90, Maybe I'll try the 5-7 on the 25 yard range. I suppose I could do 100 yards resing on a sandbag - but never freehand.
I generally stink w/handguns at any range but the big surprise for me was that bullet drop w/the FN57 seems to coincide at 100yds so plinking at 100yds needed little if any holdover (holding dead-on at 100yds w/a pistol??? Unthinkable!) Was never able to come close at 100yds w/any other handgun.
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Tomac said:
Agreed about the recoil (isn't it reported as 2/3 the recoil of 9mm?)
I always hear and read that people say its 1/2 the recoil of a 9mm.
I personally think its more like 2/3 the recoil of a 9mm.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
_Uriel_ said:
interesting report Shipwreck. I love mine. Love it. It shoots so easily and well for me I'm putting sick groups up at 25 yards with the regular sights.

just did this to it.

Just put a cheapo 2X red dot sight on it for now to see if this crappy rail mount will hold a zero. If it does this will be hella fun for 50-100 yard plinking.

I think anyone that's on the fence about buying this gun should get one asap.
Keep us updated on this please!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I guess it also depends on what type of 9mm you are comparing it to as well.
Say a Glock, SIG, or Kimber?
I've shot .45acp 1911s with less recoil than a Glock 19 9mm.
So I guess it depends on what gun you compare it to.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, honestly, the recoil between a Beretta 92FS, a HK USP and a Walther P99, all in 9mm, gets progressively moreas you change guns in that order. So, what 9mm handgun you are shooting CAN affect recoil. To me, it felt sorta like shooting my HK USPc.

I didn't switch between a 9mm and back to the 5.7 - buit the recoil was more than I expected based on what everyone has said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts