FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that Smith & Wessen and Taurus can sell .410 shotgun revolvers but you can't buy a Rem 870 short barreled pump action 12ga w/pistol grip without alot of paperwork and a 200 dollar tax stamp?

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it were manufactured as a pistol it would be OK.
But since it is manufactured as a long gun, and later converted into a pistol, it requires paper work.
If it has a vertical forgrip it becomes an AOW. But I think the regular pump grip would be OK.
I think I've actually seen pump-action 12g pistols. Rem? might make them for breaching.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not quite. Shotgun-pistols are NFA weapons which fall under either the AOW class or SBS class, depending on configuration.

.45lc/.410 revolvers have rifled barrels, thus are treated like normal .45lc revolvers.

This same reasoning does not apply to rifled 12g shotguns; because they are larger than .50" caliber, you can not build a "12g pistol" that doesn't fall under NFA simply because it has a rifled barrel. If you were to really, really push the subject with the ATF, it would probably go something like this:

"It's not an NFA short barreled shotgun, in fact it's not a shotgun at all! See? It has a rifled barrel!"

"Okay, fine, you wanna play that game? If it's not a shotgun, then it's an NFA destructive device because it's larger than .50" caliber."

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's Casp, I thought that their had to be a reason why no one had to push this issue.

That makes sence to me now.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Why is it that Smith & Wessen and Taurus can sell .410 shotgun revolvers but you can't buy a Rem 870 short barreled pump action 12ga w/pistol grip without alot of paperwork and a 200 dollar tax stamp?
IMO They are just looking reasons to restrict gun ownership :evil: and add amendments...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure does seem that way, cause when it comes right down to it, a shotgun is a shotgun. If you can buy a short barreled black powder smooth bore blunderbus and load it up with shot, and a rifled barreled revolver that fires a shotgun round but you can't (without all the hoopla) buy a short barreled pump shotgun with a pistol grip.

It sure is a head scratcher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts