FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to send my black 17s back to FN yesterday do to accuracy issues. I am looking at a 4-6 week turn-around. I hope they will let me know what the problem was, and maybe send me one with an od green upper. lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
what if FN tells you it's the shooter? lol

seriously, good luck getting your rifle back in a timely fashion. I know I wouldn't look forward to shipping one of mine in and waiting...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Was it with just the iron sights or was it with all aiming devices? My irons were not zero-able and since getting the ELCAN I'm on target. Just wanted to see if someone else was having issues with the iron sights off the store shelf.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Was it with just the iron sights or was it with all aiming devices? My irons were not zero-able and since getting the ELCAN I'm on target. Just wanted to see if someone else was having issues with the iron sights off the store shelf.
I was a little disappointed with the irons. I will keep her scoped from now on. I shoot better with the cheapo magpul sight on my Colt AR15 IN 9mm than with the factory SCAR sights.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trust me, I am always the first thing that I critique when something is not working out in my life. The arrow and indian quote applies to alot of different things, lol. I put alittle over two hundred rounds down range making sure that it was not me and not the optics. I know that sounds like alot but I wanted to be 100 percent sure that it was not me. This will take a minute but I will give you ''the scoop'' on what has happened. I bought the rifle new about 3 or 4 months ago and a 500 rounds case of pmc 308 to go along with it. I had very little daylight left by the time I got from the shop to the range so I did a quick zero. I wanted to zero at 25 meters but they only had a 25 yard so i settled for that . I fired a few rounds that were not great but i knew i needed time on the trigger and it was a tight enough group to know i needed to make a windage adustment, so I did. I got lucky and made the correct amount of clicks and it fired three rounds that were touching in and thought that was good enough. I went through alittle spill about the marks not aligning on the irons but that is beside the point. It was good at 25 yards so I thought I would fool with the irons again at 25 meters when i had more light. I had a leupold mark 4 in the safe and decided I would buy a QD mount and swap between it and an aimpoint T1 in a Larue HK mount and after waiting awhile trying to find an ADM Delta mount I decided to go with a Bobro. To make a long story slightly less long I got the bobro, and used the proper techniques and equipment to mount it to the leupold. I dont remember exactly how the first range trip went but it was when I started noticing the accuracy issues. I was shooting 100 yds and I had gotten fairly familiar with the trigger through dry-firing and the shots normally went something like this, Submoa for three shots, (I was amazed) then i had a flyer about 4 inches down and left and I thought that was odd but maybe something wrong with that round. The next group was alittle over 1 moa but was several inches to the right of that group. I of course thought that my scope was not mounted correctly. I fired three more rounds just to make sure and they were about 4 inches apart, so I knew it was either the mount or optic. I removed the mount and checked the torque settings on the mount and they were the same as when I first installed them using the supplied loc-tite. I mounted the scope again and gave the mount a generous push forward to make sure It seated correctly. I fired 4 rounds this time and again there was about 3.5 moa at 100 and then 3 or 4 more groups that were around 1 moa and some were as bad as 5 moa. When i got home i took the mount off and sent it back to Bobro ( which has the greatest customer service that I have ever seen). The mount was sent back to me and i talked to Andrew Bobro himself and he told me that when I reversed the mount I had to reverse something else in the bottom that i didn't, and that everything else on the mount checked out fine. I mounted the leupold again with high hopes but sadly the groups stayed the same so my next thought was either ammo or optic. Before i sent the leupold back i loaded up several rounds of 168 grains sierras and had the same issue with accuracy. I also fired some of the pmc out of my Fal and other rifles and it functioned as expected. My next thought was optic but again, before i sent the leupold off I thought i would try it with my T1 and i had the same type of problems. So I eliminated the optics all together and went to 25 meters with my irons and the groups (when it shot groups) would be about 3 inches apart and then back to the rounds hitting in different places. I once again thought that maybe it was me but I shot my fal at the 25 meters and it was just a ragged hole as was my ar15. I mounted the leupold on my ar and at 100 yards the groupings were about 2-2.5 moa and i put about a box through it firing groups of 5 with sierras. I want to say that all of my rounds were fired from either prone or off of a bench and all were supported with front sand bags and all shots after getthing the mount back were also fired with a rear sand bag as I was previously using my hand as a rear support. The only thing that i could come up with is either I as just a terrible shot with the Scar or maybe there was a torque screw loose on the barrel or maybe it wasnt torqued right to begin with. I hope that i will find out when I get her back. I am NOT and I mean NOT anywhere near a pro shooter but I have had training and i am quite comfortable that my trigger pull was correct. I do also want to say that when It did hold a group it was around 1-1.5 moa but there were a few times that it did shoot sub moa with pmc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts