FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FS2000 are very expensive, we all know that, so in order to raise cash I was thinking about selling a gun. I have a broomhandle mauser that is probably worth an FS2000. I don't want to shoot the Mauser that much, so it is a safe queen, but an extemely cool gun. It will also appreciate in value( with no sentimental value). What do people think about selling the broomhandle mauser to get an FS2000? :?:

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I'm always forced to sell something to buy a new gun because of my wife :p

I've flipped my entire collection a couple of times over the past few years. I kinda wanna sell my USPc and Glock 34 to buy an AR now :p

U will get people who say not to trade/sell any gun U have. But if its just a safe queen anyway - why not?!?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
AR is a superior platform to the FS2000.

FS is heavier and bulkier. Factory accessories are prohibitevly expensive as is the rifle itself.

I can have 3 M4's for the price of 1 FS.

Besides - it's unproven and it may have the same bugs that the XM8 suffered from.

-TH

·
Registered
163 Posts
Broomhandle or FS2000?

Honestly, it's a tough decision. You need to ask yourself how much you want to hold on to a collectable VS a more modern piece that you might shoot more.

I have sold things in the past to buy other things, and sometimes regretted it and sometimes not. Broomhandles are cool, and are fetching some pretty decent coin, but will you want another one? And if so, will you be able to afford one?

These are the questions you have to ask yourself. However, I just bought an FS2000, and I'll tell you, even though spaceguns are generally not my thing, it is way cool!

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I haven't really deciced on the FS2000. But I am starting to think about an AR type rifle. I still have trouble justifying the cost right now for FS 2000. Seeing pictures of the FS plus the desire to get something new , make me want one, but the finances are an issue. Maybe I'll wait a year and see if it is more affordable for me.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Well, I have a deal pending on my Glock 34 - I hope to have an AR in about 6 months. It's about 1/2 the price as the FS2000. I already broke the bank on my PS90 and the accessories on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
AR's are not that expensive

Shipwreck,

You can put together a basic M4/AR rifle for around $600. Federally, an individual is allowed to assemble or manufacture 1 firearm per year without paying the 11% excise tax that is a large percentage of retail cost.
Essientally, a stripped lower reciever is around $125, depending on what brand and spec you buy. Olympic Arms has long since revamped their production, and is making a quality mil spec reciever for $125. All you have to do is have it sent to a dealer, who will file the appropriate 4473(registration) on it. A complete parts kit, less the stripped lower reciever is between $450 and $475, again depending on configuration, and is not restricted, so you can have it sent right to your house. The kits come with everything you need to have a rifle together in less than 1/2 hour. The uppers are all assembled, and fully headspaced and test fired. Sources include Model 1 Sales, and M&A parts, and both advertise in the Shotgun News. I believe M&A offers a discoutn for Law Enforcement and Military folks, 10% if you qualify. Of course, check with local/ State regs before assembling a no-ban rifle, as there are some states that still have an assault weapons ban.
What does this all mean? It means you can save yourself a serious chunk of change by building it yourself, which can be applied to accessories, gas for your car, or keeping your wife off of your back for spending tons of money on a gun. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Appreciate the info. Someone else made me the same offer/gave me that info on another site.

I am looking at a RRA specific model. I consider myself to be a very knowledgeable handgun person, but I don't know a whole lot about ARs. I have been researching some stuff and learned what brands to look at first. But, I've also read in MANY, MANY places that a newbie shouldn't try to assemble an AR. I've seen that from many places.

And actually, I am not interested in doing so. I know the exact configuration I want, and am just waiting til I have the few remaining pennies I need to get it.

Thanks though :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
YES- get a FS2000 ASAP!!

Septo,
Here is my 2 cents....

I have owned more than 7 different AR's simultaneously. Of these I put three of them together from only parts to a completed weapon. I fired the M4 while in the Military and had a chance to fire many more AR platforms from other federal agencies. I sold off ALL my AR's and revamped my entire collection. Even though TH and I are friends I would have to disagree with him regarding the AR. The M16/AR15's have one major draw back..the gas mechanism- IT SUCKS!!! the whole gas tube idea with the fouling going back into the action is a terrible design. I am not a die hard fan of the AK, but I have respect for it. No one can argue how reliable it is and the main reason is due to the use of a piston within the action.

Look at all factors.....I choose the FS2000 because it offered what I felt was the right combo.....uses AR mags, bullpup design, top rail, PISTON driven, accurate and etc.
Here is a FACT: I could never leave any of my AR's uncleaned after shooting 200-400 rds at the range and expect it to work perfect if I took it out again in a few weeks. This is not the case with the FS2000 nor any piston driven weapon. I haven’t cleaned my FS2000 after the initial go over from the unpacking - I fired 900rds through it...200-300rds at a time with a week or two week period of use in between- not one problem. IF after a few more hundred rounds and no problems... I will clean it and then baby the hell out of it.
*Side note- I did the same to my PS90.....It went past 2000rds with out a glitch..I couldn't handle it any longer and I broke down and cleaned it. To me, reliability of a weapon is more important than any other factor and is one major reason I revamped my entire collection.....I became so frustrated and tired of hearing my shooting buddies rip me for owning an AR along with the harassment of not owning a more reliable and cheaper AK like theirs. They only respected my loyalty I had to the AR after time and time again of misfires, jams and etc.
I can go on and on. My opinon..save your cash..sell what you must..get the FS2000 ASAP! don't wait - the FS2000 may go the direction that the Steyr Aug has. Now, if you still want an AR-then spend the extra cash and either get the new piston mechanism installed or buy one with it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Now, me and Wildeye are friends - and I do agree with his assesment of the fouling problem. This can be greatly reduced with proper ammo, proper lube AND a chromed bolt. I have shot in excess of 800 rounds through my AR without any issues. I am however anal about cleaning, and that is maybe why I have yet to get mine fouled up to the point it would fail feeding ammo or extract it.

Back to the FS200. What I mean by superior platform is ergonomics. Face it, these are going to be definitive drawbacks:

1. Mag release / relaod
2. Trigger pull
3. Safety engagement
4. Lack of rails to put all the cool stuff onto
5. Too much plastic

Now, when I say too much plastic - I do not mind owning a PDW in plastic -cause face it - it's a CQB weapon for a limited engagement. A battle rifle has to withstand a BATTLE. The spaceguns just does not strike me all that BATTLE ready.

If I wanted a piston driven rifle and not one offer by the AR variants, I would jump at this: SIG 556

They reatil for around $1,100. You can have 2 SIGs for the price of 1 FS2000. So SIG can produce a top rate battle rifle at 1/2 the cost of the
FN - tell me why?

At 7.8 lb - come on ... the SIG is a much, much smarter purchase.

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=35&productid=114

IMHO boys and girls.

-TH

·
Registered
268 Posts
If they sell the FS2000 w/ the 1.6x optics for a reasonable price, around $1400-$1500, I'd be interested in getting one for the novelty factor.

Otherwise the AR15 is still the best weapon system I've ever used. It's affordable, easy to service, gets the job done, and extremely modular.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Thermallator said:
Now, me and Wildeye are friends - and I do agree with his assesment of the fouling problem. This can be greatly reduced with proper ammo, proper lube AND a chromed bolt. I have shot in excess of 800 rounds through my AR without any issues. I am however anal about cleaning, and that is maybe why I have yet to get mine fouled up to the point it would fail feeding ammo or extract it.
I know zero about Ars, but have been reading up on them a lot. And, I plan to get a RRA AR later this year with a chrome lined barrel.

I have not seen anything about chromed bolts. What company makes the guns w/ that stock? Anything else U can tell me, advice wise?

·
Registered
163 Posts
FS2000 Vs AR

I agree with Wildeye's original assessment, the AR's gas system sucks. If you look at successful small arms in recent history, they are gas piston operated, the Garand, M14, AUG, AK, FN49, and the FAL, to name a few. The AR's gas tube does lead to excessive fouling, and while home firearms enthusiasts are prone to be anal about keeping their investments utterly spotless because they have nothing better to do, the solider on the front does not have time to worry about a super duper cleaning when he is between fire fights, and should not have to worry if his rifle will function when he needs it to. Patriot Ordnance has tried to remedey the AR's shortcomings by ripping off the FAL's gas system, and while this has made it a lot more reliable, it comes at the price of a ridiculously high sight platform.

I have been using the AR professionally for 7 years, and though it is issued to me, and it works on the home front, I dread the day when I will be sent overseas to use it, or if someone hops the fence at work. As to being able to accept "all those cool accessories", well, thats just downright foolish. Accessories may be working in the desert for now, but I guarentee you, the first engagement we go off to in a jungle or other wooded environment, all that BS will be the first thing to go away. All you need is a wait-a-minute vine to snag your precious flashlight or your stupid laser, and while you are trying to extricate yourself, the bad guys lay waste to you.
The shortcomings of the FS2000, such as the mag realease being tight are negligible. We are being taught that magazine control is better than just dropping mags as you run around in a firefight. It is reliable, will more than likely be further accesorized to satisfy the yuppies at home, and will be proven with time. Remember, the AR was accepted the same way when it came about on the shirt tails of Wood n' Iron rifles.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Re: FS2000 Vs AR

gregg877 said:
I agree with Wildeye's original assessment, the AR's gas system sucks. If you look at successful small arms in recent history, they are gas piston operated, the Garand, M14, AUG, AK, FN49, and the FAL, to name a few. The AR's gas tube does lead to excessive fouling, and while home firearms enthusiasts are prone to be anal about keeping their investments utterly spotless because they have nothing better to do, the solider on the front does not have time to worry about a super duper cleaning when he is between fire fights, and should not have to worry if his rifle will function when he needs it to. Patriot Ordnance has tried to remedey the AR's shortcomings by ripping off the FAL's gas system, and while this has made it a lot more reliable, it comes at the price of a ridiculously high sight platform.

I have been using the AR professionally for 7 years, and though it is issued to me, and it works on the home front, I dread the day when I will be sent overseas to use it, or if someone hops the fence at work. As to being able to accept "all those cool accessories", well, thats just downright foolish. Accessories may be working in the desert for now, but I guarentee you, the first engagement we go off to in a jungle or other wooded environment, all that BS will be the first thing to go away. All you need is a wait-a-minute vine to snag your precious flashlight or your stupid laser, and while you are trying to extricate yourself, the bad guys lay waste to you.
The shortcomings of the FS2000, such as the mag realease being tight are negligible. We are being taught that magazine control is better than just dropping mags as you run around in a firefight. It is reliable, will more than likely be further accesorized to satisfy the yuppies at home, and will be proven with time. Remember, the AR was accepted the same way when it came about on the shirt tails of Wood n' Iron rifles.
Excellent post Gregg. No dispute here - I'm not an accessory junkie either - but back to my original thought. Why the FN and not the Sig?

In my opinion, the only advantage the FN has over the Sig is length. All other advanatges belong to the Sig. So as a fighting platform - I feel that the Sig is a superior weapon.

I will definitely pick up the SWAT version, with rails and 16" BBL.

IMHO

-TH

·
Registered
857 Posts
I got an AR - just becuase of the history it has with this country
I just feel it's one of the guns i like to have in my collection

I would also love to have an FS2000 but can't seem to find one so i bought a PS90

.. still will buy an FS2000 when i find one

·
Registered
163 Posts
F2K VS Sig556

Thermallator,

Just finished doing a little reading on the Sig 556, and for less money, it is a nice rifle. As to having all advantages over the F2K except for length, I just don't see it. Both have 1:7 twist hammer forged barrels, both have a gas piston positive locking rotating bolts, both weigh 7.8lbs with an unloaded 30 round AR mag, and both have a decent sight to bore axis for optics. The polymer tri rail that is included on the sig is not enough to warrant "better than" status. Like the F2K, the sig is based on something else and has been re-engineered for the civillian market, and is not proven.

On top of that, the Sig is not available to all. Despite the sunset of the 98 crime bill, there are several states that are still enforcing a ban on assault style weapons. I happen to live in one. For me personally, I have always liked the bullpup platform, could not afford the AUG, and was never fully satisfied with the PS90. The F2k is not considered an assault weapon by definition, and IS available to all. The fact that I could own one without legislative BS was a deal breaker for me.

Does that make one better than the other? Well, no, it's like trying to argue which truck is better, Ford, or Chevy? Me, I drive a Toyota.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Re: F2K VS Sig556

gregg877 said:
Thermallator,

Just finished doing a little reading on the Sig 556, and for less money, it is a nice rifle. As to having all advantages over the F2K except for length, I just don't see it. Both have 1:7 twist hammer forged barrels, both have a gas piston positive locking rotating bolts, both weigh 7.8lbs with an unloaded 30 round AR mag, and both have a decent sight to bore axis for optics. The polymer tri rail that is included on the sig is not enough to warrant "better than" status. Like the F2K, the sig is based on something else and has been re-engineered for the civillian market, and is not proven.

On top of that, the Sig is not available to all. Despite the sunset of the 98 crime bill, there are several states that are still enforcing a ban on assault style weapons. I happen to live in one. For me personally, I have always liked the bullpup platform, could not afford the AUG, and was never fully satisfied with the PS90. The F2k is not considered an assault weapon by definition, and IS available to all. The fact that I could own one without legislative BS was a deal breaker for me.

Does that make one better than the other? Well, no, it's like trying to argue which truck is better, Ford, or Chevy? Me, I drive a Toyota.
Now you have a good point. Availability. I live in UT, so I have issues owning either - and thus will get the Sig. For those that have to deal with the "Protruding Pistol Grip" BS - the FN makes sense.

I still have to wonder where FN gets off charging 2.5K considering the Sig has more metal to work and fit. Cause they can I guess.

The other factor here is cost/value perception and marketing. If the Storm for example was marked up at the 2K prices and had limited availability, I think it would garner a much more sought after status than it enjoys today - and this is what I think has happened to the FS2K.

Barring any BS restrictions, the FS is 2x the money, mostly plastic with inferior trigger pull and safety on/off ergonomics and no ligher than the Sig or the AR. When the price drops to $1,500 or the commiecrats get into power in '08 (whichever comes first) I will get one.

In the mean time - I'll get 2 556 SWAT sidefolders and have money left over for a big mack.

:lol:

-TH

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Septo, hope you are reading these posts. TH and gregg877 are providing excellent info.

I like the SIG 556- I was at the 06' SHOT SHOW and molested them along with every other weapon I could get my hands on. HELL, I spent so much time at the FN booth I thought I was working for them.....now this is a dream. I even got to touch the newest AUG's one last time. I considered getting the SIG 556, but like gregg- I am a die hard bullpup guy. So much so that I am conjuring up a new hybrid of a bullpup shotgun- and once done I hope to find a forum to post pics and info of it.

I have been into weapons since my Daisy Red Ryder. Up until a few years ago I never had the cash to buy what interested me, so I spent hours reading SOF, G&W and the 1st of the now six editions of "The Gun Digest Book of ASSAULT WEAPONS" if you have never picked one up, then you MUST!!! These books are one of the best if not the best weapon references out there. These are my Bibles on weapons.
Anyhow, in the 1st Edition -1st topic is the Steyr AUG- this did it in for me. I only wish I had the $650 cash back then!!!! Then came the 3rd Edition and instantly I knew I wanted a P90, all my friends and family thought it was ugly and weird...not many if anyone knew about it till......yes you got it....f**king Stargate.
Anyhow back to the FS2000, I completely agree with gregg877 about the function aspect in all environments, and I also agree with TH about the stiff price. I had to weigh my options and kept reminding myself about how "I should of" with the Aug. So, there was no way I was going to let it happen with the PS90 and the FS2000. I am now lucky enough to have a friend that owns a Gunshop and has an Aug which I have shot and was able to get it out of my system. I only wish Israel -IMI would bring a factory to the US and we could get our hands on the Tavor!!!!

If you are not truly into using a bullpup platform as a battle rifle, then you are better off at looking at the SIG 556 and any on the list gregg gave, and as well as my recommendations....Beretta AR 70, a Galil and my favorite a RobArm XCR . Here is a ref I use in addition to the Gun Digest of AW...
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as00-e.htm

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey wlcohen-

If you want a FS2000 for $1800 then contact Ray Tanner Jr. at TannersSportCenter.com he has them available and if not he can get you one with in a few weeks guaranteed!!!! I can't say enough positive info about him/family and his crew. Tell them I sent you, he will hook you up.
He was the only one that got me my PS90 by the first week of March 06' while I was waiting on.....and STILL am on.... the list from Impactguns.
Regards,
Wildeye111

1 - 20 of 44 Posts