FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Guess if I really want one I better get it while I can. I heard that Saudi Arabia just put in an order for 98,000 FN 5 seven's. Has anyone else heard this.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes, I do not know the exact #, but yea, the just ordered a bunch.

I've had mine for a month, and I like it a lot - and this is from a guy who wasn't interested in them a few months ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is a very interesting pistol. I think its a must have for any collection. They are very fun to shoot and quite accurate. Get one while you can, you wont be sorry. Im glad I did. A PS90 is next for me after I get my AR45 built.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I handled one for the first time this weekend.

I admit I'm very intrigued with it.

Two things beyond the price have me hesitant, and both relate to the ammo.

1. Is the 5.7x28 cartridge going to be available on a long term basis? We all know there are those who will try to ban this round when/if they come to power in a few months.

2. Is the 5.7x28 a capable self defense round? Is there enough real world usage info to be able to really be sure about it?

I'd really hate to spend $800+ and end up with a very unique can plinker.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
BlitzPig said:
1. Is the 5.7x28 cartridge going to be available on a long term basis? We all know there are those who will try to ban this round when/if they come to power in a few months.
I doubt it. Its been tried in the past and never happened.
If it does go through then I'm sure FN will release a SS195 replacement like they did when the SS192 was getting attention.

BlitzPig said:
2. Is the 5.7x28 a capable self defense round? Is there enough real world usage info to be able to really be sure about it?
Everything that I have shot at, I am assured that I will trust it in SD/HD.
The added Level II vest penatration helps too when you come across an armored thug that bought his retired police vest off eBay for $50.
If you live in a medium/large city then you know what I mean.
If you don't think bad guys wear armor too then you are living in the wrong decade.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm slowly paying on one... Thought I'd have it out before now..
But life hits ya in the face sometimes... :-0

I doubt the round will ever be banned. But the 5-7 pistol might be eventually. They do already have a Bill drafted, but it hasn't gone anywhere...

Yet...

That M-5 looks good on there Ship!

:shock:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the responses gents.

I spoke with a guy I know that owns a Five Seven and his answer to my question about the pistol and the round made a lot of sense. Paraphrasing a bit: "If the first one doesn't stop the bad guy, the next five that were accurately placed because the pistol is so good at fast follow up shots will..."

I begin to see the light.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sorry, my camera broke, but you really want to get the can for it from gemtech. TONS of fun. very little muzzle climb with it on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I want a fake can for mine!!!

:?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I'd get a fake can for my PS90 if they didn't mark up the barrel a bit.

The day I get mine all scratched up, THEN I'll get a PS90 fake suppressor.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow.

I cannot believe how polarized people are about the Five-seveN.

I've been poking around a few other boards and some of the threads are like a war zone. All because of the debate over the round's effectiveness.

It's as heated as when I purchased one of the early Glock 17s back in the mid 80's.

Seems like two camps, the old school, "if it's not a model 1911 it isn't worth considering" Col. Cooper types of guys, and the very pro 5.7x28 supporters.

Are there any real world stats/reports of the round's ability in self defense or police usage?

I'm not trying to belabor the point, just doing my homework.

I have absolute faith in the firearm itself. If it is remotely like my FNP 40, and I must assume it is, then it will be a flawless weapon operationally.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yes - any thread discussing the 5.7 on another forum always breaks down with the same round haters always jumping in, over and over again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts