FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you SBR your PS90 or are you happy with the extra few inches?

• Keep the orginal barrel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still on the fence about SBR the PS90 or not. I just don't see the BIG advantage besides the look and cool factor for a SBR PS90. Ballistics suffer for an already "underpowered" commercial round. You have to deal with all the travel restrictions and additional taxes that come with a SBR and the NFA. You need to engrave your gun. + Spend about $300 on the barrel and the Flashhider + $200 Tax. All this for just about 4" less....

Maybe you can tell me your reasoning for SBR the PS90. Now don't get me wrong, I already have several SBRs (ie MP5), but the PS90 even with the "longer" barrel is just as long as my other SBR.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
SBR:

What is the intended deployment? Mostly CQB.
Now that we know that let us discuss function vs. estehtics.

1. M4 10"
Pros: Cool looking, a bit more nimble, lighter fore end
Cons: Severily reduced wounding balistics, horendous flash, intolerable concussion indoors even with ear muffs. Going full auto (if one has the proper paperwork) is nigh an unsable weapon lest you intend to scare everyone. Much reduced reliability. Cost and paperwork.

2. MP5/Hk94
Pros: Cool looking, much more nimble, length of weapon as intended by the manufacturer, not much gain in wounding balistics with longer barrel, no reduction in flash or Db levels with longer barrel
Cons: None (other than cost and paperwork)

3. PS90
Pros: Cool looking, a bit more nimble (not much), suppressor options
Cons: Reduced accuracy beyond 50 yards, reduced wounding potential (in this cartridge, every ft/s is precious), reduced heat dissipation, bigger flash signature and Db level, slightly more recoil, WATCH where your digits are are all times (same as MP5K), expense and paperwork, less sallable.

Hence I would state that the PS90 has the best ballance for CQB (sans the sights) and urban deployment with it's 16" barrel. It is no bigger than fully extended MP5, lighter, with less recoil and better hit probability. 5.7 vs. hollow point 9mm is a debate only to heat up - so I will not go there sans to say that FN advertises the 5.7 as a better incapacitator than the 9mm.

The PS90 cannot be compared to the M4 family of guns - apples and oranges - no need to even go there.

So for intended purposes, I leave the shroud on. I have milled cooling slots in it (pictures coming soon) which gives the weapon a racier look for those that feel it's juts a broom. The longer barrel gives me a lot more speed on those tiny projectiles, it's not intrusive in CQB at all, I do not have to worry about blowing my digits off (training issue) and I do not have to deal with all the paperwork and cost associated with it.

Now, if you had two PS90, you know what to do.

:lol:

-TH

·
Registered
569 Posts
+1 to what Thermallator said. I do have 2 PS90's and while I've considered off & on having one SBR'd I keep coming back to "it just ain't worth it".
Tomac

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that is what I have been thinking all along. I rather spend my money on a HK MP5 SBR. Now that makes sense to get rid of the long 16" barrel! Thanks, I'll just dye it black and enjoy it as it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well it won't be with subsonic ammo and you will still hear the crack. It does look cool, but for all the money I rather buy a suppressor for a 9mm Pistol....

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I got mine today - I decided not to short barrel it, I think. I don't think its worth the money - around $500 total when U are done, if not more (for the engraving).

I'm satisfied with it as is :) - PLus, I don't wanna have to sell a pistol to pay for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am of the opinion that a OEM PS90 is going to be worth more in the future than it is today. Regarless of how many time you shoot it. I am going to keep one OEM and then buy one to "rig out".

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Well, I don't have the cash to buy two :p

I wouldn't mind an AR next, but with a child coming, this is it. ON the + side, I have all the pistols I want - nothing else out there that interest me :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unless you want to add a suppressor I vote for leave the barrel alone.

I think I've gotten used to the looks with the long barrel :wink: At least it doesn't look like a 16" barreled Uzi :shock: Thank goodness they didn't use the Minimi flash hider or I would have to SBR mine.

I think the 16" barrel is a good feature for the reasons Therm listed: 200+ added velocity. Less flash and blast. All this in what is still a very maneuverable package.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ShipWreck said:
So, HK, what was your final decision?
I kept the barrel the way it came. Better velocity, cheaper, looks just as cool as the P90, and I already have plenty of SBRs for the Close Quarter situation..... :roll: My MP5K is about the same size AND I can shoot full auto with it. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll be buying the SBR from them, and keep my original barrel around. The gun was designed for CQB, and thus, designed with an SBR. As said, when all is done, $500 later you have an even cooler gun that you if you don't do it now, you will probably never be able to do it (in the future).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I say SBR , did mine and I love it. I dont think its hurt accuracy one bit , I shot two back to back 5 shot groups with a scope on mine at 65 yds and the larger of the two groups measured .26 extreme spread with an 11" bbl. Since I was never able to fire a group this small with the factory optic I dont think a reduction in accuracy is a valid argument against going the SBR route.
Any accuracy woes lie in the optic and long unpredictable trigger pull.

On that subject I cannot for the life of me understand why any company would feild a military weapon without a two stage trigger. On any bull pup where the trigger pull weight and length has to be increased to overcome the weight of the transfer bar/linkage to prevent an AD there needs to be a two stage trigger so the end user can reliably tell where in the travel that the firearm will discharge. The fact that this one has a veeeery long trigger pull and breaks without warning makes it nearly immpossible to engage multiple targets rapidly without just snatchin the trigger. All FN needed to do was incorporate a small spring loaded lever or plunger that would impart an additional 4-6 oz of resistance in the last .050 of trigger pull before releasing the hammer and rapid fire hit probability at ranges greater than 20 feet would go up drasticly. the usefulness of two stage triggers in high stress combat situations are well proven and for fn to have dropped the ball on this one just surprises me. I assume this important feature was omitted to apease the american paper puncher market that would have complained about the additional resistance. Wow I am way off topic.

The only SBR related complaint I have is with the original bbl I could shoot the gun with little or no hearing protection which is no longer an option.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts