FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ladies and gents!,

Currently, I am friends with an FFL dealer and can get firearms at dealer's cost and recently raised the funds for a SCAR-H (17S). I'm really torn on whether I should fork up that large amount of cash for one, or set the money down on a few other firearms that might do about the same. I'm a bit antsy about getting it for the cool factor, but have heard the rumors across the web. I have no experience with a SCAR whatsoever and nor do any of my friends (to include the FFL friend of mine). I would just like to know what the good and bad of the SCAR-17 is or if it's even worth it to get the 17 over the 16. I've been deciding on both and know that the 16 would be cheaper to shoot, accepts more magazines, and has much less recoil. I've heard the SCAR 17S has a tendency to screw with optics due to the recoil impulse, so would getting the 16 be a better choice because of this? I like both, can afford to get one but not the other, so saying "get both" will not help at the moment! The price I'd be paying is $2525 out the door with no tax or anything like that for a SCAR-17S FDE model. I've heard that's a good price, but I figure it's cheaper than most used SCARs out there, so I might as well jump on it while I have the chance if the SCAR is a worthy buy. My concern is with the polymer and plastic stuff on the rifle since I've heard stories of the stock feeling flimsy and cheap. Anyone have issues with their SCAR? I'd like to hear all of the good and bad before I drop the load of cash into my buddy's hands this week. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, akitainu, I just wanted to make a new thread because that one was a bit dated, so I wanted to see if quality has changed or if any implementations were made.

Actually, I apologize, I for some reason did not see that thread, I thought it was another. But browsing through it, it seems like most of the concerns were with optics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone here recommend the 16 over the 17? Or would everyone just get the 17 and be done with the .308 caliber? If I get the .308 and like it, chances are that I will sell my Tavor IDF for a SCAR 16 haha.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I would keep your tavor, Buy the 17 and save up for the 16 (if you want one) . I personally think that the scar platform is nice/ok in 5.56 shines in 7.62x51.

·
Premium Member
9,513 Posts
I got the 16 first, just because it was a lower start up cost for me (had lots of mags and 5.56 ammo). But I had every intention of getting the 17...and did, five months later.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would keep the Tavor, but I don't think I'll ever be able to hit anything with it. Lol, feels too darn "different" for my liking. Took me 3 different range trips to get it zeroed with that IDF Mepro21 on there. Or so I think it's zeroed, haha. I'll have to bring it to the range again to double check.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone here recommend the 16 over the 17? Or would everyone just get the 17 and be done with the .308 caliber? If I get the .308 and like it, chances are that I will sell my Tavor IDF for a SCAR 16 haha.
.308 battle rifles are becoming a thing of the past. Get one while you still can.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was really tempted to get a SCAR 16 before a 17 but the only issue is that they are out of stock from my friend's distributer list. I know I qualify for Military pricing from FNH, but the wait is ridiculous to save $150ish more than what my buddy gets them for at dealer cost. I really want the 16, but since I just talked to my buddy and he said the SCAR 16s are sold out and no ETA on more stock, I'm stuck with getting the 17 after all. Anyone know how hard it would be to trade the 17 for a 16 plus cash or something in the event that I don't like the SCAR 17 over a 5.56?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
I was really tempted to get a SCAR 16 before a 17 but the only issue is that they are out of stock from my friend's distributer list. I know I qualify for Military pricing from FNH, but the wait is ridiculous to save $150ish more than what my buddy gets them for at dealer cost. I really want the 16, but since I just talked to my buddy and he said the SCAR 16s are sold out and no ETA on more stock, I'm stuck with getting the 17 after all. Anyone know how hard it would be to trade the 17 for a 16 plus cash or something in the event that I don't like the SCAR 17 over a 5.56?

I can help.

Read my signature line.

-SS

·
Registered
465 Posts
It will hold that value. From what I see on gunbroker if you ended up selling it (you wont) someone would be lucky to get one for that. If you took 100$ hit it would move FAST imo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SgtStryker, I would, but unless I can get a better deal than $2525 on a FDE Scar 17, I'm probably going to stick with my buddy. No offense. I don't remember what his dealer cost was on a 16, but I'll have to ask him and see. What would Mil pricing be on a 16 if I were to go through you for an FDE model? I'm assuming the long wait will be in effect as well?

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
SgtStryker, I would, but unless I can get a better deal than $2525 on a FDE Scar 17, I'm probably going to stick with my buddy. No offense. I don't remember what his dealer cost was on a 16, but I'll have to ask him and see. What would Mil pricing be on a 16 if I were to go through you for an FDE model? I'm assuming the long wait will be in effect as well?
Can't quote publicly on LEO/Mil pricing. EMail me on the Stryker site and attach a copy of your creds.

No waiting - FDE 16 LEO Mil 16S - one left.

SS

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would decide what the rifle's ultimate job is, and then make my decision. Other than for economical reasons, I couldn't see a need for me to buy the 16s. Money not having been a factor, I went with the 17s. My 17s is not my plink and play rifle, as I've got the .22 caliber stuff for that. I'm having fun with it but it's ultimate purpose is provided for in the U.S. Constitution.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sent an email through your site. As for creds are you referring to a copy of my CAC?

You do know that copying CAC cards is unauthorized right?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
There are plenty of great 5.56mm combat type rifles. Not too many with the 7.62 type. That's why I went with the 17S before I went with the 16S and other 5.56mm rifles.

As far as the 17's recoil impulse knocking scope mounts loose...I think that's more of an operator's error than anything else. For heaven's sake, it's a .308 semiauto rifle, not a .500 Rigby Safari Gun.

Yes, the plastic parts are cheesy and I'm not happy with the factory buttstock. Maybe one of these days somebody will come out with a solid steel or aluminum buttstock for it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts