FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm sitting here bored to tears, surfing Ebay, and looking at shoulder rigs for my FNS-40.

Does anyone have or use one, and do you think they are worth having...I already have IWB holsters and a belly concealment holster.

What do y'all have or use??

· Registered
1,990 Posts
I love a shoulder holster for winter time. I also like it while shooting in the desert. It's more comfortable than carrying on the belt IMHO. But as a note, when you carry via a shoulder holster in winter, you're forced to keep your jacket on...so it's not for every occasion. I need one for my FNS Long slide, and one for my Glock 35. I used a rig that was made for an HK, but after adding a beavertail to the Glock, that holster won't snap closed. Even the holsters MADE for Glock won't work with the beavertail on it. So I'll have to get one special made or just check out what might work amongst an array of rigs. I definitely prefer a shoulder holster that fits a little too tight, in case the retaining strap comes unsnapped...and yes it can happen if you're actively moving around doing things. I won't use a shoulder rig unless it has a very tight fit. I'd prefer a little extra effort to pull it out than to risk it falling out in the event the strap unsnaps. I think most people wear them canted more upwards than I do, and that would reduce the risk of it falling out if the snap popped off. But I find I can conceal well without fear of printing with a more downward cant. But I personally love the shoulder rigs. On the occasions you can use it, it's a very comfortable option. I'd say it's worth the money and effort to have in the options list of which way to carry.

· Registered
130 Posts
OK, so not sure why the need/want for shoulder holster, but here's my "unsolicited 2 cents"!
:)
shoulder holster has no tactical applications. you're never going to clear it in time for self defense compared to on your hip at 3 o'clock. not to mention a fair chance to muzzle your off-hand arm in process.
I have ONE(1) shoulder holster, and I only use it when hiking/backpacking in area where I want my S&W .44 revolver for something that might be in woods that's big enough to eat me. At least that size round will deter the animal and I practice enough with it to be able to hit what I'm aiming at. for hiking, this kind of carry or a cross chest rig are probably more comfortable than being on your hip...but I also realize it's still a slower draw, but my concern in woods are 4-legged predators, less so the 2-legged kind...but I usually have a knife on my belt, another in my pocket, and a back up gun in my bag.
So....just my 2 cents...shoulder holsters look cool, would certainly use the restraining snap or other safety the rig has on it....but I wouldn't carry it that way often.
Best of luck to you!
:)
CJ in AZ

· Registered
173 Posts
I have a Galco Miami Classic that I wear when we take long road trips. It's a way faster draw in the car than anywhere on my belt. The Galco was fairly expensive but it's well designed, made from good leather and should last a lifetime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.