FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FN SPR owners like to see pics of your rifle and test targets from the factory along with your groups now with it. What mods have you done? Is it your favorite rifle over them rem 700? I have owned a few rem 700's and have a very accurate 700pss but have always like the control feed of a winchester. I just recently locked in on a SPR A1 308 DBM rifle. I hope to have it in a few weeks. How do you like your DBM if you have one?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
There are a few Bolt action owners here - but not as many compared to owners of some of the other Fn weapons. Just give it a bit more time for an answer I guess...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Stellar accuracy with handloads. I can quit trying and still shoot sub-MOA. I've only had this load out to 600Y, but it's still holding .5MOA all the way out.

With concentration, I'm under a dime at 200Y. I'll post the load below, but with the standard warning that you need to start with minimum stating loads, and work up safely.

SMK175, 44.3Varget, Federal Primer, WW brass. OAL 2.815. Neck sized with a Lee collet die. Load chosen via OCW.

I believe the cleaning is one of the best parts of this rifle. It seems to come clean in a fraction of the time that an unlined steel barrel does.

All dressed up and no place to go

500M off the ruck

As close to zero MOA as I'm gonna try and get.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fargo007 what was your test target your rifle came with group size? How many rds on the test target?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The test target has 4 rounds and measures .80"

It does not say what distance it was shot at, which makes it worthless to me.

HTH,

--Fargo007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My spr a1 dbm 308 that I will get sometime week after next,it has a test target that shows 3 holes in a .80 group. I'm understanding from what I read that they were shot at 50 yards but seen several other peoples that theres look like three holes on some and 4 on some others but read they post to be 5 shot groups so not sure on that part. I hope mine is at least as accurate as yours. I'm sending my finally payment in this wed on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It should be every bit as accurate.

I bought mine second hand, and test fired it myself with federal GMM that was provided. With that at 200Y, I was shooting a 1" group (half MOA).

Don't put so much stock in the test target. Instead, take heart in your own ability to learn the rifle, and make it shoot the way YOU want it to. It's a journey, not a destination.

Please keep in touch and let me know how she works out for you. I had mine out today. Heavy winds with gusts up to 15 or 20. Even so, I was turning in .7 MOA with her. I was experimenting with doping the wind. They're accurate rifles that are well made, and will last a long time.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you bedded your rifle? I am not trying to read to much into it,lol. Just curious since yours was so accurate like a lot of the ones I read about and wondered what the test target was so it give me some idea on mine. You told me a lot that helps. Was the GMM 175 gr or 168 gr? I can't wait to get mine it will be next week sometime. I will let you know how it does. If yours is not already bedded and you do bed yours then let me know how it compares. What torque in inch pounds are you using on the stock screws?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine's not bedded. It's BONE STOCK, off the shelf. The only thing I did to it was give it a spiffy duracoat treatment and park a NightForce 3.5-15x50 on the roof, and turn the trigger pull down a little bit. It's a simple adjustment of two hex nuts.

I torque to specs, which is 65 inch pounds.

I've shot both SMK's in it with great effect. I have one hole groups with the 168's too. I went to the 175 for longer distance performance, but the accuracy potential appears to be the same.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a question for ya fargo007, Since you have the DBM, have you had any feed issues with that type of magazine? I have herd that some do not like it.

BTW, great looking weapon! :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My spr a1 dbm 308 that I will get sometime week after next,it has a test target that shows 3 holes in a .80 group. I'm understanding from what I read that they were shot at 50 yards but seen several other peoples that theres look like three holes on some and 4 on some others but read they post to be 5 shot groups so not sure on that part. I hope mine is at least as accurate as yours. I'm sending my finally payment in this wed on it.
just to chime in but my test target says 50 yards...3 shots

My group on the test target is .38, that is what made me buy the gun.

Acording to the experts (whoever they are) the FN SPR will shoot AT MOST .5 MOA

They are sub .5 moa guns. My test target proves that!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
.38" at 50 yards is .76 MOA.

Remember - 1" (1.047 technically) at 100Y = 1MOA .5" at 50Y = 1 MOA

That's still excellent. These rifles put factory ammo sub-moa. When you get a load right for it, look out baby. I tell people that the SPR and my FS2000 are made by Santa's expert chocolatier elves, stationed in Belgium. When they're not making chocolates for Santa, they go across the street and work for FN Herstal.

As far as the DBM, no issues at all. I can slap mags in and run the bolt as agressively as I want to. The followers have a lip in it that suits single loading as well. Just drop it in there, and it's automatically guided so that the controlled round feed picks it up every time. You don't even have to watch.

The only time I had feeding issues was when I loaded some 175's extra long in search of the lands. They went into the magazine, but didn't have enough clearance. That was my bad, not the rifle's.

In competitions, I'm trouncing people with very expensive custom rigs with an off the shelf rifle. This has been unquestionably one of the best firearms purchases I have ever made.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bravo, Bravo2 (I mean that not redundantly) (but also not redundantly).

I think this is the best off the shelf tactical rifle out there. I know you'll be as happy with yours as I am with my own.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked mine up friday its a spr a1. I have not had time to set it up yet do to I been moving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is my SPR A1 in 308 win. It's topped of with Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 M1 LR/T with illuminated TMR reticle set in QD Warne rings along with a Weaver T36 with the same rings. I took the nearly 4.5 lb trigger pull down to a crisp 2 lbs.

I have shot some factory Black Hills 168 gr match in it and it will print 1" or slightly smaller groups. Handloads using 168 SMK's along with R-15 and Varget that gets me 1/2 MOA out to 500yds. I recently tried some 180 gr SMK's I had on hand. Using IMR 4895, 210M's with Remington brass with run of the mill prep it's shooting consistantly in the .3's with a screamer or 2 every know and then that's in the .1's. So far I am really impressed with the ease of cleaning the chrome lined barrel, it's a snap.

Here's a pic....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts