FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just $hits & giggles and in lieu of a anther zombie movie coming out (28 weeks), what is the most likely SHTF scenarios most likely to happen in the future? Disease, petulance, nuke, terror attack, government attack or total financial collapse?
Who stocks up on….
Food?
Water?
Money?
Ammo?
Are you going to bug out or in?

Are you going vest or vestless? :lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, unless things change, the rainforest, which supplies somewhere around 80% of the worlds oxygen supply I do believe, will be depleted in 40 years. It also houses over 50% of the known plant and animal species in the world, and is additionally responsible for a great number of cancer medications which come from the plants. Not much sense in having a vest on if you can't actually breathe. :roll:

And no, I'm definitely not an environmentalist tree-hugging hippie. I may have long hair and wear a bandana sometimes, but I'm no pacifist.

·
Vendor
5,789 Posts
:grin:
All set here. Got water wells, Live right on the ocean for plenty of lobsters and fish, Guns and ammo and booze for barter when money means nothing. Wood stove and generator so I can power my wide screen T.V. :eek:

NO MORE TAXES!!!! Woo Hoo!!! At least for a few years then the government will build back up. Maybe I'll run for the local mayor at that time to keep the taxes low. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Setzer77. I think any SHTF scenario will be the result of a natural disaster, weather it's on a large scale or small scale. I tell people, look at what happened when people got in line to buy a PlayStation3. People shot, stabed and fist fighting over a crapy (PC based platfrom is way better) console. Imagine if those lines were over bread and water.

CHICAGO TYPEWRITER I don't know if you post on this site. Judging from your post you probably do. If you don't check it out it's right up your ally.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am well prepared for anything short of human wave attack, artillery strike, or massive change in climate.
My staple foods come from my garden and hunting. So if the economy crashes, or the highways close, I'm all set.
I have stores and catches of food, ammo, booze, toothpaste, fuel, tools, ect, ect.
I have a nice defendable homestead, but also have a backpack (bug out bag) I can grab if I need to evacuate.

I believe that my well-being is my personal responsibility... I don't count on the law or civilization to keep me fed and safe.

I've been called paranoid, but really, I don't worry. It doesn't take much time, or money, to put by enough food and supplies for a year. And it doesn't take a huge investment to have things in place to become entirely self reliant, as far as food and shelter goes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, I don't care about zombies, that for sure (Why should I kill something already dead anyway?). What I care about, are things that can really happen. I changed the Heating System of my house to an electrical one (Generators here), and now I use the old oil tank for storing fuel. I have a car, that would be suitable for emergency situations (H1). I have a bomb proof room (had to be built into almost every house that time), and enough food for about 1 year if needed. Now, as I also use that special room to store my guns, that fits into the concept of being prepared.

But, if it should happen, that zombies should attack, I can still take one of my swords (200+), and cut them in pieces. They wouldn't be any closer to being dead, as they were before, but they have a hard time chasing me with there legs sepparated from the rest. ;-)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Closest I have come to SHTF was after a hurricane and we were without power or running water for 8 days. Never needed ammo or guns but it was comforting to have if needed. As far as being prepared...no money, not much gas in cars, no food supply, no water, two small children. I guess I'm an optimist :roll:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
in the mind of a madman

Love the zombie site!

TEOTWAWKI - Wha? Huh?

I don't store allot ammo.
I do have my fair share of guns (8 function, 3 retired)- not as many or as good as Reaper! (That collections rocks! :shock: )
I think here in the states having thousand of rounds and hundreds of guns only puts a target on you.
I don't store more than a weeks worth of food right now. How ever I've been contemplating starting a storage because I don't know if this country could take another true terror attack or actual disaster and get back on its feet very quickly anymore. We have communist country owning most of our debt and forking all of our jobs and money over to them and what’s left over is going to the Arabs to fund more freggen extremism in the Muslim world! Not to mention all the nations that oil now think they have the power - Russia, Venezuela, Iran, UAE, Niger are all on borrowed time in their tyrannical governments! Too much pressure building and something has to give! Pretty soon I’m going to be working the first week of the month to pay for gas back and forth for the rest of the month! But yea invest in the stock market, your money is safe there! Everything is FREAKING GREAT! Nothing bad will happen and if does the government will take care of me right?

I don't have a vest, I have back packs. I don't plan on buggin out short of nuclear war. No I'm not crazy, but I do think these days more than ever with the extremely destructive power at a very few men’s finger tips and the precarious times we live in that it's prudent to be prepared. As a historian I also think with the loss of the greatest generation that the world has forsaken the lesson learned and the books and movies have glossed over the absolute horror, carnage and total devastation of the first four decades of the last century. And for better part of those wars the biggest advancement were better planes and artillery! Not hundred kiloton nukes that do everything they are programmed to do no matter what after the button is pushed! In a nutshell the individual human life with opinions and potential that go with it are way undervalued in these times.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't bother preparing for a disaster. I really don't think myself such a Solid-Snake-esque type that I'll be able to shoot any looters that come near me and escape to the wilderness. Remember folks, it only takes one bullet or one car crash to kill you. I don't prepare, I don't stress, I don't even contemplate. I feel it's pointless.

That all said, I do have quite a number of firearms, but I don't have them for that purpose, they're just mostly my hobby.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: in the mind of a madman

CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
... the books and movies have glossed over the absolute horror, carnage and total devastation of the first four decades of the last century. ..
ain't that the truth! Being a student of history myself I realize how fleeting times of peace and plenty can be.

TEOTWAWKI stands for the end of the world as we know it

it took me a while to catch onto that mother of an acronym

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
It's hard to keep posts on this topic short.

I have tried to plan for three possible situations. Getting caught away from home, having to hold up at home, and being at home and needing to leave.

Living near the Texas coast, weather and social unrest are the things I have mostly planned for. Each vehicle has bottled water, duffle of clothes, and a bugout backpack full of the bugout stuff. This in case you get caught away from home. Supplies are enough for one person for 3 days.

At home... water, mre's, medical, supplies for 2 people for one month.

If we need to leave, we load the house supplies and the kits from vehicles we are leaving behind into the 4x4 and off we go.

The one thing people most often do not think about is a plan. Sure, you have supplies... but what are you planning to do, and where are you planning to go? At what point do you make the decision to move or sit still?

Maps, GPS, magneto radios, and compass, are important, but I also have places to go to. (to friends and family houses) I have a couple of places in north Texas, Indiana, Iowa, and Washington state. It depends on what is going on and how far I decide I need to go that will determine which plan I need to use and when.

TA

1 - 20 of 38 Posts