FN Herstal Firearms banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Sig does need to clarify about the Brace its only legal if not shouldered, which was legal but not any more and many dot know this!
Sig is under no obligation to since they never advertise the brace as something people can use as a stock.

I suspect that Sig probably do want someone to be the sacrificial lamb on this so ATF's determination can be challenged in court (they can't initiate it since again it's a misuse of their product). A law really isn't a law unless it's enforced, and currently there's nothing Sig or we can do until someone get charged, at which point I and anyone (Sig probably) who wishes to overturn this arbitrary ATF ruling should donate to that person's cause.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well lets see one makes Vids about Brace talking how good etc.. and as of 2 days ago make a 15 min vid saying how the BATF could/would not change the status of the Brace, next day new BATF letter comes out and all Vids go Poof and an apology is posted about misleading about BATF and now Guaranteeing that SIG will take this to Court asap, which they have not and this controversy is now going on 4 months!

What do u call that??????? Mac does usually make decent Vids but always seems to be full of it!
English wasn't your best subject, was
it?

·
Vendor
1,990 Posts
Never mind, we can close this thread. I've solved it.

I used Merriam-Webster, the same dictionary the ATF used, and looked up 'shouldering'. As a transitive verb - 'to place or bear on the shoulder'.
So I looked up 'shoulder' - the laterally projecting part of the human body formed of the bones and joints with their covering tissue by which the arm is connected with the trunk.

Lateral means side.

So your shoulder is the part of your body where, if you draw a vertical line up the side of your trunk, the shoulder is the part that projects away from your trunk.

Well, anyone who knows how to shoot knows that placing the butt on your shoulder really hurts. The proper way to hold a rifle is to place the butt against the upper part of your chest, inboard of the shoulder joint.

So it is only illegal if you actually place the brace on your shoulder, but not if you place it on the upper part of your chest.

Really. It's in the dictionary. Look it up.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Features:
Fits all pistols equipped with an AR-style buffer tube 1.0" - 1.2" in diameter.
ATF compliant*
Veteran designed
Made in USA
Quick and easy to install

* ATF has reviewed this product and determined that attaching the SB15 to a firearm does not alter the classification of the firearm or subject the firearm to NFA control

Quote!

Read part about not altering the classification or subject firearm to NFA control! WRONG 100%!
It's still legal to use as it was designed to be used.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Justin, there is a letter floating around that states that misusing it doesn't change classification. Another letter states that if you INTEND to build a firearm for using the brace correctly, you're ok. The second letter in no way adresses the first. Look around the web, they're out there.

Edit: lol quoting Clinton, somehow, I don't think she would agree XD
I know all about the letters. I was simply stating that according to the LAW as it has been written it was always illegal to use it as a shoulder stock. It doesn't matter what the ATF wrote in a letter because they don't make law. Let me put it to you this way....Remember how Obama said "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" and it was untrue because the LAW passed doesn't have previsions that would let you keep your current health care plan. Same thing basically! The ATF can send you a letter saying it's ok to sell guns to the Mexican drug cartels, but it's still against the LAW and you can be prosecuted under state and federal laws. I completely agree that the ATF wrote those approval letters and should be held accountable for writing them.

I'm sorry if I came off as being an a-hole. I deal with LAW vs opinion from law enforcement agents all the time and it gets old quickly.....Here's a quick story I'm talking about. A county police officer wanted me to convert his personal M&P 15(AR-15) to select fire/full auto. I explained I couldn't because it was illegal and he had a temper tantrum about it. Telling me he knows the laws and he could have it because he was a law enforcement officer.....civilian laws didn't apply to him...blah blah. I even tried to explain how he could go about getting what he wanted through his department. It was like talking to a wall. He finally left me alone after I gave him some sites where he could get all the parts needed. I would have turned him in but he's a friend of a friend etc and didn't want to deal with harassment/retaliation from his PD buddies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You didn't come off hostile, no worries. This is a friendly conversation/discussion. I understand your POV, but what I guess I don't understand is this law your talking about. The brace was cleared by the Atf for being just that, a brace, not a stock. The following opinion letter(s) supported that, and additionally, stated misusing it still makes it a brace, not a stock. Could you reference which law you are talking about so that I may better understand? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
You didn't come off hostile, no worries. This is a friendly conversation/discussion. I understand your POV, but what I guess I don't understand is this law your talking about. The brace was cleared by the Atf for being just that, a brace, not a stock. The following opinion letter(s) supported that, and additionally, stated misusing it still makes it a brace, not a stock. Could you reference which law you are talking about so that I may better understand? Thanks!

The Jan 16th letter states: "Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked!

Note the part (misapply Federal Law)!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
So? Sig says nothing about using the brace as a stock or shouldering it. Again, Sig is right in stating that ATF doesn't consider attachment of the brace on AR pistol a re-classification of the weapon. It's ONLY when the user misuse the brace as a stock does the ATF consider re-classification. Bottomline is you were absolutely in the wrong when you claimed that sig braces are no longer legal and that Sig needs to stop selling them. Just admit it and move on.
Never said they no longer legal, they are if not shouldered but when 1st sold the "Letter" stated even if shouldered still legal, but now no longer the case!
So they need to now Clarify that they are illegal if put on shoulder etc.. and 1could get 10 yrs. in joint!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.