FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks interesting

SIG556 Pistol features a 10” military grade cold hammer forged barrel, chambered in 5.56mm NATO, with a twist rate of 1 in 7”. The flash suppressor uses a standard .5 x 28 TPI thread pattern, ensuring compatibility with after-market accessories. The optional flip up front combat sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. The receiver is made of high strength steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® finish. The Picatinny rail features an SIG SAUER Mini Red Dot sight that works in concert with the optional front combat sight. The trigger housing is machined from an aircraft grade aluminum alloy forging with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The pistol comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger, ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. The pistol ships standard with (1) 30-round magazine. The P556 is compatible with M16/AR-15 type magazines.

Caliber 5.56mm NATO (.223 Remington)
Length 21.5″
Barrel Length 10″
No. of Grooves 6
Rifling 1 in 7″
Weight w/o Mag 6 lbs 7oz

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Too bad it looks nothing like the "official" SIG photos that were released a couple of months ago.
Now I don't mind the looks of the current version, I only wish it would have atleast one rail on it...I'll have to wait and see if they offer a SIG 556 Pistol SWAT soon.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
The 556 Pistol was designed with SBR in mind. Hence the side folder locking notch on the receiver (which is not on some of the 556 Rifles).

·
Registered
265 Posts
devildoc said:
I-7 twist barrel, bad idea. They should have went with 1-9 twist.
Why?

The 1/7" will stabilize anything from 50 gr. JHP's to 77 gr. OTM's, and will shoot M193 55 gr. and M885 62 gr. stuff just fine.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Fast twist 1-in-9 and 1-in-7 barrels work fine with heavy bullets, but lose about 20-30% accuracy when using the standard 55 gr. projectiles, which were designed for slower 1-in-12 type. I think that those who are not getting acceptable accuracy from their A2 “fast twist” barrels have a clear choice: use heavier bullets or change the barrel. 55 gr. ammo is cheaper and there is alot more available. 1-9 is in the middle, sort of.

·
Registered
265 Posts
To be honest, I've only noticed a difference in accuracy using 55 gr. ball out past 150 ~ 200 meters, anything inside of that, and no appreciable difference at all.

All of my 5.56mm rifles, with the exception of the 1964 Colt SP-1, have 1/7" twist barrels.....2 Colt 16" barrel AR's, one Arsenal SLR-106FR AK (cold hammer forged barrel :shock: ) and my Daewoo MAX-2.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
In for pics and range report!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Only a small number have hit the dealers so far.
My dealer could have got me one but I had to preorder it first.
Since I'm waiting for them to release one with rails, I passed on the first batch. Now since the Dems are in control, I may try to pick one up here soon and let you guys know.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Well hurry up!! :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have one on order, but my dealer said they were told "maybe 45 days" from Sig. :cry:

Seems they are pretty popular given the current climate. They would be even more in demand if they had a decent 552 style or quad rail handguard.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
So... if you slapped a wire stock on this, it would make it an SBR wouldn't it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had one and returned it , ended up adding another FN (FS2000).

The honest to god truth is, unless you are going to SBR it, its almost useless. And you cant add a foregrip or its an AOW.

I had the new one with the quad rail. Its shoots great, but there isnt a useful shooting position, again, unless you add a foregrip or a stock.

My .02

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Welcome and great post! Two fs2ks? NICE :?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts