FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Sig Sauer firearm again after an 18 year hiatus which was a P320C. I'm really liking the modular concept of the pistol and have also had my attention captured by another modular based Sig Sauer offering that being the SIG556xi. Similar to the P320 with numerous barrel lengths and calibers. Although Sig hasn't yet brought manufacturing speed up to and inline with marketing I did speak with them last week and the 5.56 variant is currently available as is the 7.62x39 but in less numbers for the latter. Before summer's end they promise the .300 blk will be out. I am aware that the 556xi is an improved relative of the SIG550 which AFAIK is a superb rifle. I'm also aware there were some teething and QC issues with the US made 556 although it would seem that has been satisfactorily address with the 556xi.

Another point and this is actually rather important to me, there isn't much that can be done to the xi ie: triggers, enhanced charging handles and mag releases etc etc. I don't have a problem with that since I tend to spend more time building or modding my 16s and G19, it might actually be nice to have something decent to just shoot now and again. Don't get me wrong here, I have yet to find any assault type carbine that can honestly hold a candle to my 16s but every time I login or peruse the interwebs I find something new, wonderful, shiny and exotic which I must have for my G19 or 16s. Clearly there's no sign of this behavior O'mine abating so I'd just as soon get a 556xi and go have fun shooting it.

Alright, enough of my gun building issues. Does anyone here own a SIG556xi, do you have anything to say about them? How 'bout, anybody held one, shot one, slept with one, hell who knows, get married to one? I need to know, I want brutal honesty and the nitty gritty dirt even if it hurts. Let me hear it, please!

View attachment 36575

·
Registered
876 Posts
I own just about every Sig Sauer pistol and rifle. 556-DMR, 551-A1 10" Swat, 516 SBR, and my baby SAN Swiss 553 SBR. Here's what I predict the Sig 556xi is going to be. A mix between the Sig556R and the bushmaster ACR. I do believe that the Sig MPX and MCX will do well though. My feeling are also based on some facts to. Think about this.... They are supposed to offer different barrel sizes, but they are not releasing a factory SBR version....The 55? rifle system just doesn't work well for calibers other then 5.56. Like I mentioned in the beginning I own and love Sig rifles and pistols, but I'm not going to suggest buying something that's going to make you dislike Sig Sauer again.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have searched everyplace that you mention and only read bad about the US made 556 not the 556xi.

I've heard nothing but bad things about that rifle. Which is EXACTLY why I didn't get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YouTube, Google, Other forums, the info is everyplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to search the Military Arms Channel and see what Mac has to say...

I've also heard bad things. Think Mac, reported bad things as well in his video recently

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be less interested in any other barrel than the advertised 14.5" as for the other calibers, that has my interest piqued. From what I have been able to ascertain the AR/STANAG lower will support 5.56, 7.62x39 when using AR mags and .300 blk. I understand there have been issues with piston operated platforms firing the .300 blk as for 7.62x39 the xi's operating system is very much akin to the AK itself so I'm not sure there would a problem there only with obtaining 7.62x39 AR mags. As for my departure from Sig Sauer 18 years ago, it had nothing to do with anything other than my choosing to rid myself of all .45 acp pistols. There's not a single LGS within 250 miles that has one in stock for me to eye and or handle.

I own just about every Sig Sauer pistol and rifle. 556-DMR, 551-A1 10" Swat, 516 SBR, and my baby SAN Swiss 553 SBR. Here's what I predict the Sig 556xi is going to be. A mix between the Sig556R and the bushmaster ACR. I do believe that the Sig MPX and MCX will do well though. My feeling are also based on some facts to. Think about this.... They are supposed to offer different barrel sizes, but they are not releasing a factory SBR version....The 55? rifle system just doesn't work well for calibers other then 5.56. Like I mentioned in the beginning I own and love Sig rifles and pistols, but I'm not going to suggest buying something that's going to make you dislike Sig Sauer again.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I quickly viewed Mac's videos and he's shooting the 556xi Russian, not the rifle I'm interested in, it has a completely different lower. I'm looking at the 556xi Standard which by changing the barrel will shoot .300 blk then by changing bolt face, barrel and mag -7.62x39 AR/STANAG style mag- will shoot 7.62x39 and of course as standard the 5.56. Any negative reference I'm finding has to do with the "R" or Russian version with its specific lower, could be there's an issue with that version, not knowing honestly afraid to say. If anyone has specific negative feedback on the 556xi Standard I want to hear it. Thanks!

I've also heard bad things. Think Mac, reported bad things as well in his video recently
I'll have to search the Military Arms Channel and see what Mac has to say...

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not at all better than the SIG550? Well this 556xi seems to be batting a big 0. Well then, at least I have my 16s.

Whomever told you that was a liar. It is nothing like the 550 family much less an improved version.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I blame it on SIG USA. Under Cohen's leadership, SIG seems to turn out a lot of crap.

I was one of the first people to buy the 556. Okay, I reasoned to myself, maybe it was SIG's first attempt at rifle making in America, so I got a lemon. Then I found out that a bunch of other people also gotten lemons. Okay, so I was giving SIG some excuses for turning out lemon 556s - well, maybe it was a bad run, first time in the USA, blah, blah, blah.

Next came the release of the 556R and you all know what a disaster that was. By then I started to have doubts. But now the XI with all the troubles...three out of three ain't coincidence.

And frankly I don't buy the diatribe about some of these guns don't work well with the other than 5.56 calibers. If that's the case, then DON'T MAKE THEM!!! Why turn out crap products and sully your reputation?

·
Vendor
1,863 Posts
So I have a slightly different perspective. However I make an aftermarket trigger for the SIG 55x series rifles, so I am not completely objective. Nor do I know a lot about the rifle, as I focused on the Fire Control, and have not spent a lot of time with the rifle doing anything other than trigger testing.

That said, I have the impression SIG launched Gen I of the 556 in a hurry, because Obama had driven the price of evil assault weapons sky high, and SIG figured they could use Swiss sourcing and parts to get the 556 into the market faster than they could start up a new AR model, especially since all AR capacity was tapped out. So I think the initial 556 might have had minor startup problems, but major components were Swiss, which was good.

Then Gen II came along where they tried to replace Swiss parts with US parts, and there were startup problems, and lots of quality issues.

Then Gen II+ or Gen III they got the problems fixed and I thought it was a pretty good rifle. Then the XI came along to use some AR based parts, though I lost track of all the differences. I know the FCG was only slightly different between the XI and its predecessors.

I've never dealt with the R version, other than FCG, so I know it has a stronger hammer spring in order to set off the harder primers.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear'ya, trouble is, I honestly cannot find any noteworthy or trustworthy recent reviews about the 556xi Standard in 5.56 anywhere it's all 556xi Russian which clearly is having issues. I'm hoping more will get to the masses and a great deal more reviews come rolling in. I'll hold off 'til then but I am sold on the concept if not the product. Thanks! :?

I blame it on SIG USA. Under Cohen's leadership, SIG seems to turn out a lot of crap.

I was one of the first people to buy the 556. Okay, I reasoned to myself, maybe it was SIG's first attempt at rifle making in America, so I got a lemon. Then I found out that a bunch of other people also gotten lemons. Okay, so I was giving SIG some excuses for turning out lemon 556s - well, maybe it was a bad run, first time in the USA, blah, blah, blah.

Next came the release of the 556R and you all know what a disaster that was. By then I started to have doubts. But now the XI with all the troubles...three out of three ain't coincidence.

And frankly I don't buy the diatribe about some of these guns don't work well with the other than 5.56 calibers. If that's the case, then DON'T MAKE THEM!!! Why turn out crap products and sully your reputation?

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Art, I did find that you offered an improved trigger for it. I was hoping no one made any aftermarket parts but dammit man, if I do end up pulling the trigger on an xi, I'll surely be pulling a Shooting Sight trigger in it shortly after purchase. And back to gun building we go.....will it EVER end? :lol:

So I have a slightly different perspective. However I make an aftermarket trigger for the SIG 55x series rifles, so I am not completely objective. Nor do I know a lot about the rifle, as I focused on the Fire Control, and have not spent a lot of time with the rifle doing anything other than trigger testing.

That said, I have the impression SIG launched Gen I of the 556 in a hurry, because Obama had driven the price of evil assault weapons sky high, and SIG figured they could use Swiss sourcing and parts to get the 556 into the market faster than they could start up a new AR model, especially since all AR capacity was tapped out. So I think the initial 556 might have had minor startup problems, but major components were Swiss, which was good.

Then Gen II came along where they tried to replace Swiss parts with US parts, and there were startup problems, and lots of quality issues.

Then Gen II+ or Gen III they got the problems fixed and I thought it was a pretty good rifle. Then the XI came along to use some AR based parts, though I lost track of all the differences. I know the FCG was only slightly different between the XI and its predecessors.

I've never dealt with the R version, other than FCG, so I know it has a stronger hammer spring in order to set off the harder primers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've got an early Commando version with the green furniture in 556 and it's been a great rifle and shoots quite accurately. I had one of Art's triggers put in it years ago by a gunsmith friend of mine and it made a real difference in it's accuracy. Thanks Art I believe you were just getting started out when you were making these. It's been quite a few years back, great product I might add. :? I'm not sure about the other caliber rifles though, but there is a sig556 forum you may want to check out on details about the 7.62x39 rifles. Here's an old partial pic of her below.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/thebangswitch/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/sig556.jpg

I bought one of the 1st Sig 556 when they come out in early 07 never had 1 prob. love it but most didn't like its looks, the only prob was it had no sights and it was a few yrs before Sig offered back-up sights for it and any other type of front sight:p would not fit on it! But it is build like a Tank!

The next versions had all type of probs mainly with fold stock brackets and furn breaking!

Still think its a fantastic rifle but then I also like the Zip Gun!:lol::-D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sig 556XI barrels are a far shot from being a quick change barrel system; very misleading advertisement on Sig's part. You would need to purchase an aftermarket Tromix barrel wrench because the barrel nut is proprietary with no expected release date for the corresponding wrench or caliber conversion barrels for that matter. Also, it would be advised to purchase the Tromix upper receiver holding fixture to use in conjunction with a gun vise. Tromix Lead Delivery Systems. 556XI accuracy is less then stellar, averaging about 2 1/2 MOA with match grade ammo, and 5 MOA with surplus. The OEM trigger is gritty, heavy, and feels like it has more stages then a burlesque theater. However, Art's match hammer and sear SIG 556 / 551-A1 Sear/Hammer , in conjunction with the Scorotech trigger spring and alignment kits [email protected] are a must for any 55X rifle. My Gen 3 556R's trigger is smooth as silk, and break like a glass rod at 4.25 #'s. Unlike their Swiss counterparts, the American 55X line have tolerance issues (most but not all), resemble a giant baby rattle when shaken. So one needs to purchase the Zurich wedge THE SIG 556 "ZURICH WEDGE" IMPROVED (x2 ) to take the play out of the receiver and upper. On the plus side, SIG has outstanding costumer service, including free return shipping. So don't lose faith if you get an out of spec lemon that slipped QC, Sig will make it right and it will be good to go once the rifle is property fitted and tested for function.

That said, I love my gen3 556R; its a great beater / trunk rifle, that will not only bring home the bacon, but will pull yours out the frying pan if need be. The beater in the trunk is worth more then two unicorns in the safe. I have 5000 + rounds through mine without any weapon related failures.

The only concern I have is that SIG is constantly discontinuing and phasing out product lines. Even the newly released MCX have 300 Blackout Barrels; where are the ones advertised for the 556xi?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks 00,

That's precisely what I'm looking for....a beater if you will. By the time I'm actually 100% done with my 16s it may well end up like my pre-64 Model 70, too valuable to shoot but I truly can't see that happening with the SCAR. Not really a beater so to speak just something that I don't need to fiddle with and just have to shoot. I've never sought an assault rifle with 1/4-1/2 MOA, if it's able to put rounds in a pie plate at 100 - 200 yds I'm a happy camper.

Sig 556XI barrels are a far shot from being a quick change barrel system; very misleading advertisement on Sig's part. You would need to purchase an aftermarket Tromix barrel wrench because the barrel nut is proprietary with no expected release date for the corresponding wrench or caliber conversion barrels for that matter. Also, it would be advised to purchase the Tromix upper receiver holding fixture to use in conjunction with a gun vise. Tromix Lead Delivery Systems. 556XI accuracy is less then stellar, averaging about 2 1/2 MOA with match grade ammo, and 5 MOA with surplus. The OEM trigger is gritty, heavy, and feels like it has more stages then a burlesque theater. However, Art's match hammer and sear SIG 556 / 551-A1 Sear/Hammer , in conjunction with the Scorotech trigger spring and alignment kits [email protected] are a must for any 55X rifle. My Gen 3 556R's trigger is smooth as silk, and break like a glass rod at 4.25 #'s. Unlike their Swiss counterparts, the American 55X line have tolerance issues (most but not all), resemble a giant baby rattle when shaken. So one needs to purchase the Zurich wedge THE SIG 556 "ZURICH WEDGE" IMPROVED (x2 ) to take the play out of the receiver and upper. On the plus side, SIG has outstanding costumer service, including free return shipping. So don't lose faith if you get an out of spec lemon that slipped QC, Sig will make it right and it will be good to go once the rifle is property fitted and tested for function.

That said, I love my gen3 556R; its a great beater / trunk rifle, that will not only bring home the bacon, but will pull yours out the frying pan if need be. The beater in the trunk is worth more then two unicorns in the safe. I have 5000 + rounds through mine without any weapon related failures.

The only concern I have is that SIG is constantly discontinuing and phasing out product lines. Even the newly released MCX have 300 Blackout Barrels; where are the ones advertised for the 556xi?

Reactions: 00stormbringer
1 - 20 of 21 Posts