FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for an 'improved' AR and have narrowed my choices to the SIG556 and HK416 (the gas system requires the AR to be constantly cleaned, whereas gas piston systems are more reliable under 'abusive' treatment :shock: ).

I've had a hard time trying to find an opportunity to shoot either of these and would like to hear some reviews from users before I plunk down a kilobuck and half.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, as far as I know SIG (Only have a P220, P226, SG550 and SG552), the 556 is no "improved" AR for sure.

The SIG 55x series are basically AK Design ;-)

·
Banned
55 Posts
Sigarms SIG-556 is a bastardized version of a SG-550 with AR furniture.
Current reports are warning people to stay away from the first generation SIG-556 due to the fit and finish not being up to par with normal Sig products.

H&K HK-416 is not avilable for civilian sales.
Some Class 3 dealers have been selling the upper recievers to get around this prohibition and if you look hard you may find one for sale. Average sale price for a complete HK-416 upper reciever is currently around $5000.

There are about 4 companies (Bushmaster, POF, L&TM, Colt) that make their own gas-piston AR-15. So, if you want a HK-416, you should look into these. Currently, the Bushmaster and POF versions are the more popular ones. Reports on the reliability of the non-H&K gas-piston ARs are mixed.

If you are looking for current production gas-piston 5.56x45mm rifles, check out the Robinson Arms XCR. Very reliable and well made. MSRP is comparable to the SIG-556.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Definitely build an HK416 clone (appearance and function). The Sig 556 looks like a poor knockoff of the Sig 550. Even a Beretta AR70 look better than the latter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Sig 556 fit and finish is really second rated. Every one of them that I have handled at shows felt cheap. The upper rattles on top of the lower. One new one even had rust on it. And, for that price tag (every dealer out there charging at least a couple of hundred bucks above the already steep MSRP), at least put some decent sights on it. :roll: I can never see myself paying for it more than what I'll pay for a quality basic AR.

About the HK416, I doubt you'll be able to get your hand on it anytime soon.

Get the gas piston upper from POF-USA, slap it onto a standard AR lower, and you're good to go. Here's my POF upper/RRA lower. Man, I love it. :D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I would dearly love a H&K 416 I hope that they can get semi-auto versions to civilians somehow and soon.

I have a 556 and like it pretty well. It has a couple issues. First it has a canted rail which SIG is going to fix as soon as I send it to them. Second it's not as accurate as I hoped but that might be partially rail related. It didn't come with sites but if it came with ones like on my FS2000 I would have replaced them anyway.

On the postive side the 556 is a smooth shooter with an excellent trigger. If it was as accurate as some of my AR's it would be my favorite Semi-Auto rifle. It's very easy to customize the buttstock because it takes AR buttstocks. It uses AR mags which is a big improvement over the original whose mags are $50 and up. The forend may look a little different but it makes it very easy to add a bipod, light and/or other accessories.

So far from what I've read the people who actually own 556's like them quite well. Most of the criticism seems to come from those who don't and/or have other preferences anyway.

If at all possible go out and shoot a 556 and see what you think of it for yourself before you buy one. I think you'll really like it but you should make your own decision..............................DJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts