FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although snow on the ground and foggy I needed a Hi-Power fix. Put about fifty rounds down range. I am consistently 6 inches low at 25 yards. I prefer a 6 o'clock hold which would make this even worse. I have a Vigilante which has the welded front blade and dove tail combat sight at the rear. What is the proper technique for correcting my POI to a six o'clock hold?

jim

·
Registered
278 Posts
What is the proper technique for correcting my POI to a six o'clock hold?
jim
New sights. You could file down the front sight some to get the elevation POI sorted, but there isn't very much front sight so file on.

Don Williams might be able to build you an original-looking rear sight that's tall enough to fix your problem. He's done some great work in that area.

Other than that, you're pretty much buggered.. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Schnauzer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I thought Burgs but hoped I was missing the obvious. I'm caught in a pickle. I really like the low profile look of the rear sight plus I often use this girl as my CC. Taller rear sight also equals hanging up on clothing. For combat firing no sight is needed so I may try lowering the front and adjusting my sight picture for target use and be a happy guy. I think before doing any whittling I will shoot some off a bench rest tomorrow and make sure it is just not me pulling them down. I removed the "magazine safety" but she still has a pretty firm trigger pull. Thanks for taking a look Brother.

Jim

·
Registered
278 Posts
It still might be worth a call to Don Williams if the benching proves it is off. The photos I've seen of his rear sight work looks very original.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry it took a bit to get back to you Jim…Wife’s having bad back spasms, had to deal with that.

I see Mr. Burgs…and you, have already pretty much sorted out possible options so I’ll just add my $.02.

First and foremost…as you suggest, VERY carefully bench it. Get a better feel for your POA v. POI.
WADR, concentrate on the fundamentals as you do :wink:.

Sight correction computation: Error in inches (6) divided by the distance to the target in inches (900) multiplied by the sight radius in inches (nominal 6.5) = .043 inch difference at the sights. In your case with the impact being 6 inches low @ 25yds, you must either shorten the front sight .043 inch in order to raise the muzzle…and as a consequence the POI, or install a .043 inch taller rear sight to accomplish the same end result.

Hope that adds to the discussion…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning sub-moa. As I have said many times you are not just a pretty face. That is some pretty fancy syphering. Thank you very much. I am going to bag and bench today. Will get back to you with precise results. I am also going to duplicate my shoot with my duty weapon. S&W 659. Want to see if it is me pulling it down. I had cataracts in both eyes removed last year and a vitrectomy done on my dominant eye so that may be a factor too. Mind set is to be meticulous and not jump to any conclusions before just filing material off the sight. I will keep you advised. Thank you again for your advice.

jim

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks, but good looks? :lol:

Good Lord Jim, I'll cease whining about my declining eyesight :cry:

Let us know how your range trip works out :icon_e_biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Results are in and so am I. Cold out there. Burgs & sub-moa check Private Message

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures of today's adventure.
image.jpg
1986 Vigilante
image.jpg
S&W 659. Used as control. A lot of experience with this pistol. Duty weapon for years and now CC.
image.jpg
Short notice range. Measured muzzle to target. 75 feet. Conditions? Not bad for late Jan.
image.jpg
Shot the 59 as a control first. I know pretty much what to expect on a given day.
image.jpg
Shot two clips from the Hi-Power and made a minor adjustment for windage. This is the result following that adjustment.

All the the data is being analyzed by the crack team of Burgs & sub-moa. Preliminary repot indicates that the Hi-Power is perfect but I'm not.

jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know why these photos ended up rotated 90degrees. How do I fix that? I'm in the same pickle as with my shooting. Common denominator?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If someone knows how to post these pictures properly and is willing I will email them.

Thanks,

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts