FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mounted a new Leupy (115292) 3-18x with the cmr-w reticle on this bad boy. (I used the tried and true Larue 111 cantilever mount for it -even though sarge says cantilevers are ****ty)

For all the old pros here - is this scope to be sighted in at
a) 100 meters
b) 200 meters
or
c)300 meters
??????????

For those of you unfamiliar with this particular reticle, here's the breakdown of 'what it all means..'
cmr-w reticle explained.jpg

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It says 50 and 200.

What exact ammo and barrel length is this reticle calibrated for? If you don't have the same ballistics are the hold points going to be just close? The SCAR with the short 16" barrel is probably going a little slow. Do you just hold a little extra?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it's calibrated for 7.62. Barrel length effects are somewhat debatable as you're talking about very minute (a couple of percent) details beyond a 16" barrel with 168g ammo.

farmerted, are you saying it should be sighted in at 50 meters or 200 meters? Realize that 50 meters isn't one of the answers and you will be penalized for choosing incorrectly!!! :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
it's calibrated for 7.62. Barrel length affects are somewhat debatable as you're talking about very minute (a couple of percent) details beyond a 16" barrel with 168g ammo.

farmerted, are you saying it should be sighted in at 50 meters or 200 meters? Realize that 50 meters isn't one of the answers and you will be penalized for choosing incorrectly!!! :)
Leupold manual says both...http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tactical-Milling-Reticle-Man.pdf?d37ffd

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hint: page 32.

farmerted, I'm afraid you've already lost 2 points here!!! (it would have been -3 but you did provide the awesome .pdf manual link!!! thanks for that! :) )

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have mounted a new Leupy (115292) 3-18x with the cmr-w reticle on this bad boy. (I used the tried and true Larue 111 cantilever mount for it -even though sarge says cantilevers are ****ty)

a) 100 meters
b) 200 meters
or
c)300 meters
??????????

For those of you unfamiliar with this particular reticle, here's the breakdown of 'what it all means..'
View attachment 21830
I also use this reticle. The reticle is callibrated to a bullet weight of 175 grains. Not a good choice for SCAR's slower 1:12 twist rate. By reloading, i've been able to get shorter 155 grain very close to the reticle's holds. Anyway, the manual says set the center dot (inside horseshoe) at 100 meters. Slightly shorter than 100 yards. It also says some shooters then re-adjust at 300 meters so that any variation on either side is minimized. Does this all make sense? Let me know if you have questions.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

Great answer - thanks! You're absolutely right!

I have had good luck out to 600 yards with 168g ammo using the SCAR with this scope.

Knowing the twist rate of the 16" barrel and knowing that this reticle is based on 175g ammo, I was hopeful the 168g would work out alright.

I haven't had time to try and reach out to 1,000 yards. I've only had the gun and glass for about 2 weeks now and it's just an absolutely fantastic combo SO FAR.

I'll report back when I can confirm if the hashes are still accurate the farther out I shoot with the 168g.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mark,

Great answer - thanks! You're absolutely right!

I have had good luck out to 600 yards with 168g ammo using the SCAR with this scope.

Knowing the twist rate of the 16" barrel and knowing that this reticle is based on 175g ammo, I was hopeful the 168g would work out alright.

I haven't had time to try and reach out to 1,000 yards. I've only had the gun and glass for about 2 weeks now and it's just an absolutely fantastic combo SO FAR.

I'll report back when I can confirm if the hashes are still accurate the farther out I shoot with the 168g.
Hope you've got some good loads to push 1000yds+, and high BC bullets. Either that or something that's tolerant of the trans-sonic shift. I haven't had time to get my chronograph out, but since my accuracy nodes were below max loads (I'm shooting 168gr A-Max, Winchester brass, and Varget), looking at Quickload, around 800-1000 is 'danger zone' for the trans-sonic boundary. I'll have to chronograph to know for certain, since QL isn't tuned for this rifle so I don't know how accurate its predictions are, yet. Nice looking scope, let us know how it shoots at longer distances and your load data!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hint: page 32.

farmerted, I'm afraid you've already lost 2 points here!!! (it would have been -3 but you did provide the awesome .pdf manual link!!! thanks for that! :) )
I don't have the scope and think trying to load ammo to fit a ballistic reticle seems backward rather than just using a mil/moa reticle.

Maybe they changed the manual from the one online. Page 32 and 33 below.

LEUPOLD CLOSE MID-RANGE RETICLE WITH WIND HOLDS (CM-RW)
The CM-RW reticle is a natural progression of the very popular CM-R² reticle featuring the inclusion of wind holds, as well as additional ranging features. The CM-RW reticle is comprised of a 0.5 MOA center dot surrounded by a 5.0 MOA inverted horseshoe for a perfect combination of precision and speed. There are two versions of the CM-RW available. One representing 5.56/.223 class ballistics, and one representing 7.62/.308 class ballistics. The two MIL scales built into the reticle design - hash marks on the horizontal stadia and the vertical scale on the left side above the main horizontal line - can be used for both calculating distances and measuring objects downrange. The tic marks on the vertical stadia serve a dual purpose, allowing the user to quickly estimate the distance to 18” targets while serving as precise holdover points for targets between 300 and 1200 (900 for 5.56/.223) meters. The horizontal bars down the left side of the reticle are also 18" long at the distance indicated, and additionally there are 4"x4" squares located 12" above this horizontal line to allow for additional range estimation options. For best results, the CM-RW reticle should be zeroed at 200 meters, allowing the center point of the reticle to also serve as a 50 meter aiming point.

I also use this reticle. The reticle is callibrated to a bullet weight of 175 grains. Not a good choice for SCAR's slower 1:12 twist rate. By reloading, i've been able to get shorter 155 grain very close to the reticle's holds. Anyway, the manual says set the center dot (inside horseshoe) at 100 meters. Slightly shorter than 100 yards. It also says some shooters then re-adjust at 300 meters so that any variation on either side is minimized. Does this all make sense? Let me know if you have questions.
A simple mil reticle seems it would be a lot easier to use. With Nightforce velocity reticles you're supposed to call in with your ballistic information to see how the reticle corresponds to your ammo. Think it'd be easier to just know the info for you ammo and dial or hold. You can use different ammo then and use your data book.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope you've got some good loads to push 1000yds+, and high BC bullets. Either that or something that's tolerant of the trans-sonic shift. I haven't had time to get my chronograph out, but since my accuracy nodes were below max loads (I'm shooting 168gr A-Max, Winchester brass, and Varget), looking at Quickload, around 800-1000 is 'danger zone' for the trans-sonic boundary. I'll have to chronograph to know for certain, since QL isn't tuned for this rifle so I don't know how accurate its predictions are, yet. Nice looking scope, let us know how it shoots at longer distances and your load data!
Right. I'm finding the SCAR is good to around 600 with the smaller bullets that it prefers. Above 600, you really need a quality heavy barrel hunting rifle. A long range precision rifle would even be better!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm not an accomplished long range shooter, but I think simple reticles w/ know holdovers and BDCs are best out of 400-600 yards. Beyond that I'd want a solid MIL reticle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dr. Hoy Toarder,

I have several of the Mk6 3-18's in various reticle configurations and the TREMOR is my least favorite reticle configuration. However, if you are a TREMOR fan - you might just love it. It's truly a fine piece of glass with ANY reticle. However, the CMRW is certainly not (yet at least) my favorite of the bunch.

Clear as mud, right? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
the CMRW is certainly not (yet at least) my favorite of the bunch.
When we make statements like this, we should qualify with a reason, pointing out our unique purposes. The purpose of the CMRW reticle is quick target ranging and engagement. There are no calculations; just point and shoot. This reticle is matched well for the SCAR platform. I think the reticle is perfect for the purposes of lawful defense, run and gun competitions like 3-gun, and hunting fast moving targets like hogs. It's not the best reticle for longer range benchrest shooting so if this is what you mostly do, then other reticles would certainly be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Reactions: mark1070

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking at the Mark 6 with CMR-W 7.62 reticule and I find discrepancies in the muzzle velocity for this reticule. Some sources say 2575, some 2600, and others 2650. I'm still looking for definitive answer. I guess I could call Leupold.

But about the SCAR 17 and heavy bullets - mine shoots M118LR clones (with both 175SMK and 178AMAX) well under MOA. The 178AMAX is about all I shoot through this rifle.

I had a 5-shot group at 200 yards this past Saturday right at 1.5" using a Mark 4 1.5-5 with the 1MOA dot, SCAR 17, and 178AMAX M118LR clone.

I really just want to know if this reticule is going to work for me with the short 16" barrel of the SCAR.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Your bullet will just drop faster than the reticule is set for.

·
Registered
660 Posts

a) 100 meters
b) 200 meters
or
c)300 meters
??????????

View attachment 21830
"For best results, the CM-RW reticle should be zeroed at 200 meters, allowing the center point of the reticle to also serve as a 50 meter aiming point."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts