FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unloaded 1 of my 50 round PS 90 mags today and I was shocked on about 8 or so of 50 rounds there was a green color on the primers covering a spot of about 1/4 of primer on some the green was going all around the primer and on a few about 1/3 of primer was covered!

Don't know if this was caused by a sealant or the primer breaking down? None of the green would wipe/scrape off with my fingernails!

I do know on some really old ammo when the primers show green like mold which wipes off it's gone, but this was different, any ideas?

Thank's

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
If you put some pictures up it would be quite helpful in diagnosing your problem.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's, but as I had thought the primer sealant color for this ammo is green and I guess some had spilled on the primers during manufacturing!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Barring some anomaly...You should be Ok with any older FN ammo... most of what I have seen is not older than 2000 anyways. I have some 1990 .308 milsurp that still works well.

Let me share some 5.7 history which is pretty accurate I believe.
This round was developed in the late 80's & original sales of this platform was to Saudi Arabia in ( 1990 )... that would be the oldest rounds anyone could stumble on... I doubt any has ever trickled over to the US... and it would be SS190. I really have never heard of any issues with problem ammo in my short period owning these weapons. EXCEPT of course the plethera of problems that arose from the AE 40 gr.... which is a newer round .

I will say...vz58kid... is getting a well rounded FN education here at FNF... I don't remember anyone with this many questions since I joined this place... LOL

Reactions: vz58kid

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Barring some anomaly...You should be Ok with any older FN ammo... most of what I have seen is not older than 2000 anyways. I have some 1990 .308 milsurp that still works well.

This round was developed in the late 80's & original sales of this platform was to Saudi Arabia in ( 1990 )... that would be the oldest rounds anyone could stumble on... I doubt any has ever trickled over to the US... and it would be SS190. I really have never heard of any issues with problem ammo in my short period owning these weapons. EXCEPT of course the plethera of problems that arose from the AE 40 gr.... which is a newer round .

I will say...vz58kid... is getting a well rounded FN education here at FNF... I don't remember anyone with this many questions since I joined this place... LOL
Almost correct.

From 1990 to 1993 the P90 used the SS90 round. In 1993 they changed the round to the SS190, totally different rounds. The SS195 did not appear until late 2005.

And trying to compare .308 milsurp to anything 5.7x28 is once again apples and oranges

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is that bad? Isnt this the place to ask?

Thank's

James

P.S. Got my REM T3 Yesterday and review will follow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.