FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a silencer that would work well for both these guns such that it could be easily swapped between them?

I know Gemtech makes one specifically for the FiveSeveN. However, I assume its thread mount so that doesn't seem great to use w/ a PS90.

Gemtech also has said the G5 works great for PS90, even attaches to the P90 style bi-lock muzzle device. They've also said it was designed to produce lower blowback which can cause extreme wear and cracking of the take down button. But how would the G5 work w/ the FiveSeveN? Does the FiveSeveN have a locking barrel/breech that requires a piston to work w/ a silencer?

Other than these two all the other options from popular manufacturers would seem to be their stainless rimfire cans or their 5.56 cans. I don't want to use a rimfire can on the PS90 due to small volume. I imagine a 1.5" diameter 5.56 can would cover the FiveSeveN sights though.

Help me out here.

ETA: after writing my questions I'm beginning to think 2 different silencers may be the only practical solution... Damn, this project is starting to blow out the original "budget".

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The Gemtech will work on the FsN and the PS90. You just need an adapter for the PS90.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
nothing to add except for the fact that I took the Gentleman's advice below and ordered a "few" Gemtech SFN57 suppressors and I can't wait. If you choose to go this route I think you will be very happy!

Is there a silencer that would work well for both these guns such that it could be easily swapped between them?

I know Gemtech makes one specifically for the FiveSeveN. However, I assume its thread mount so that doesn't seem great to use w/ a PS90.

Gemtech also has said the G5 works great for PS90, even attaches to the P90 style bi-lock muzzle device. They've also said it was designed to produce lower blowback which can cause extreme wear and cracking of the take down button. But how would the G5 work w/ the FiveSeveN? Does the FiveSeveN have a locking barrel/breech that requires a piston to work w/ a silencer?

Other than these two all the other options from popular manufacturers would seem to be their stainless rimfire cans or their 5.56 cans. I don't want to use a rimfire can on the PS90 due to small volume. I imagine a 1.5" diameter 5.56 can would cover the FiveSeveN sights though.

Help me out here.

ETA: after writing my questions I'm beginning to think 2 different silencers may be the only practical solution... Damn, this project is starting to blow out the original "budget".

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
The Gemtech will work on the FsN and the PS90. You just need an adapter for the PS90.
This is correct. The thread on the pistol is M10x1 so you would just need a PS90 SBR adapter with M10x1 threads. They exist. The G5 would be way too heavy on the FsN. The weight limit there is about 8 oz., IIRC.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Mark didn't you say once some 9mm cans are rated for the 5.7 as well? Been wanting to try that with my gemtech multi mount but been to scared to. PM with info if need be. thanks

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
This is correct. The thread on the pistol is M10x1 so you would just need a PS90 SBR adapter with M10x1 threads. They exist. The G5 would be way too heavy on the FsN. The weight limit there is about 8 oz., IIRC.
I think it is closer to 11 oz IIRC. I was researching this when I got my Evo 9 to see if it would work on the FiveseveN and it does with no problems. The Evo 9 comes in at 9.7oz.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
I think it is closer to 11 oz IIRC. I was researching this when I got my Evo 9 to see if it would work on the FiveseveN and it does with no problems. The Evo 9 comes in at 9.7oz.
In looking back over my notes I find the first can I tried on a FsN was a titanium can that weighted 9 oz. It did not work 100% until 5 shots had been fired then it was great. Also if you just loaded 15 it was fine. That said, on some guns it might have worked 100%, especially if the gun has been shot a lot and is a bit "looser".

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Mark didn't you say once some 9mm cans are rated for the 5.7 as well? Been wanting to try that with my gemtech multi mount but been to scared to. PM with info if need be. thanks
While I don't want to put words in the mouths of other suppressor manufacturers most 9mm cans should be fine on the PS90 SBR or FsN. Look at it this way. The purpose built GT can has an aluminum tube and aluminum baffles. Most 9mm cans have aluminum tubes and aluminum baffles and a much bigger bore clearance hole. That means even less back pressure and heat build up. I have fired thousands of rounds thru cans of this type on PS90 and P90's with no ill effects. All that said, check with the mfg. before you do it, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Does suppressing the FiveSeven really make a difference? I know suppressing a 7" AR pistol doesn't do much. Does suppressing make it hearing safe?

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Does suppressing the FiveSeven really make a difference? I know suppressing a 7" AR pistol doesn't do much. Does suppressing make it hearing safe?
Yes, with a good can it's hearing safe. There's still a sonic crack but with the light bullets used in the 5.7 it's much less than a 5.56 or 7.62. With sub-s it's just silly quiet.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Sweet-- I'm waiting on the sparrow too- it is small and light right? I was surprised at it- ever find out about the new vs old sparrow?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Sweet-- I'm waiting on the sparrow too- it is small and light right? I was surprised at it- ever find out about the new vs old sparrow?
it is very small and light especially for being stainless steel, ~5" long and only 6.5 ounces.

Yeah the old ones are I think a steel-alloy and aren't really sold anymore, the newest and best one that has been around for a couple of years is the stainless steel one. It is the only one made to accept the 5.7 round, the original steel one cant.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Mark I asked gemtech and they said not to use my multi mount on it, but then again I am sure they would love me to have to buy their dedicated can also. I agree with you that the math adds up, 9mm can should be safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts