FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Saw, that video. I went straight to yours and silencerco's web site to see if the 9mm end caps were for sale and no luck yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
summary:
CAN
muzzle dB
@ear dB
Oct-9
Oct-45
Oct-45K
Oct-45:9EndCap
Oct-45K:9EndCap

the @ear numbers seem strange to me, particularly for the 45 series.
Oct-45 is quieter than the Oct-9 at the muzzle but it's louder at the ear? by 9dB?
45K gets quieter at the muzzle with the 9 end cap but stays the same at the ear?

personally i'd like to see the sound spectrogram at the peak; or even better, an animation over time.
also, i think it would help to see a graph of the loudness over more shots (10, 15, 20?). i feel that the industry's too hung up on single number shot averages. a graph of 10 shots would show the first-shot-pop and also show whether the can gets progressively louder, as would be the case with sealed designs.

thanks for the video. i've noticed the host has changed numerous times during the four year time span. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the reason for 5 shots is that if you do more shoots the FRP gets lost in the average. You can tell how good a silencer is by how close the shots are to each other. Also 10 shots on a video would get boring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I asked 2mo ago if I could run a 9 endcap on mine and was told no.

where can I buy this and what discount are you offering members here? Free shipping at least I hope

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

where can I buy this and what discount are you offering members here? Free shipping at least I hope
I never said that they are coming out. We just tested it to see what the response was and how it performed. We always have free shipping on our site FYI.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Until an ATF letter is produced allowing this it's still a no-no. As for where to buy, no one is actually offering it....yet.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
They are doing it, I don't think they would try different end caps if they thought it was illegal. Anyway does anyone know if there is a ruling to cover this question?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is not legal to have both end caps unless you have both silencers. This was more of a test than anything else and there is no official word as to if or when they will be released.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So when you did the test with the Saker 7.62 with the Saker 5.56 end cap if you didn't own both suppressors you wouldn't be able to do that? I knew you couldn't have spare baffles laying around but I was unaware you couldn't have the different end caps.
It is not legal to have both end caps unless you have both silencers. This was more of a test than anything else and there is no official word as to if or when they will be released.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Unless things have changed very recently end caps are silencer parts and you cannot have extras. But it's a different situation with the Saker because of the maad brake ( www.store.silencerco.com/products/maad-brake ). The brake takes the different end caps that also just happen fit on the saker. So they aren't considered a silencer part because they are actually parts for the MAAD brake which isn't an NFA item.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless things have changed very recently end caps are silencer parts and you cannot have extras. But it's a different situation with the Saker because of the maad brake ( www.store.silencerco.com/products/maad-brake ). The brake takes the different end caps that also just happen fit on the saker. So they aren't considered a silencer part because they are actually parts for the MAAD brake which isn't an NFA item.
100% correct

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was reading your industry thread over on arf, and saw that y'all said with new suppressor purchases one could also get the 9mm endcap. Would I have to purchase the endcap before my form 4 gets back from the ATF or could I purchase the end cap when I go pick up my Octane45HD from the store in Austin?

I believe you all sent my form 4 the week of the 16th in Feb. and my check was cashed on the 23rd.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Then why aren't the other end caps ilegal? Lots of people have 4 different theaded ends. Talk about retarded

Not retarded - If the guts of the suppressor can be removed from the tube (you could change the caliber of the suppressor guts) (most of your pistol) and can remove the endcap as well...there is the problem....and that rub of having 'extra' silencer parts i.e. the endcap(s) ALOT of room here for criminal intent and well getting over of Uncle Sugar and not paying additional tax

Since the rifle suppressors (the guts are welded in place) cannot be removed - but the endcap can - (bonus since you are changing the exit aperture) not the registered caliber of the rifle suppressor....there is no problem

Your head hurt yet? That's ok - go read thru some of the ATF Tech Branch rulings if you wanna make your head really hurt ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts