FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 10/22 a better host for the sparrow than an AR22? The AR22 is still loud with a supressor on it from what I can tell because of its action type. Is the 10/22 any better as far as how quiet it is? I already have a bolt gun that I am having threaded and I know it will be way more advantageous to use that with a supressor.

Also I was on the fence about going with a Ruger SR22 or a Ruger 22/45 lite for pistol host. I chose the SR22 but haven't bought it yet. I chose it because its lighter and more compact then the 22/45 but will still eat anything and is accurate. Would any of you go with the 22/45 instead?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I love my 10/22 sparrow combo. I have a bull barrel and mine is super quiet. You basically just hear the action. My buddy has the 22/45 lite and it is stupid quiet. I have no experience with an ar22...sorry

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
From my personal experience I hate the Ruger's that I own, I have a 10/22 and a 22/45 MKIII, both are factory threaded and I am very disappointed with these purchases. Seriously, I know how much people hype Ruger and to me their designs are just extremely over engineered to the point that it becomes a problem. i.e. Try fully dissembling a 22/45 and let me know what you think...

Now, I am EXTREMELY happy with their replacements, I cant speak highly enough about the two of them.

The first is a dedicated SBR AR-15, the best part is the NFA lower can be used with 22lr, 223, and my newest caliber 300Blk(in addition to many others). It is a dedicated 22lr 8.9" CMMG barrel with a dedicated 22lr Bolt Group kit. It is a standard upper and a YHM quadrail, this thing is silent, it is just as quite if not more quiet than my 10/22 using the same ammo and suppressor (Sparrow). It is the one on the right:

The only advantage to a 10/22 over an AR-15 22lr is cost, a 10/22 will be cheaper, in my book it is cheaper for a reason. Ruger is also well known for having problems with concentricity on their barrels threads, but CMMG has as well, I just called and requested they check the barrel concentricity before shipping it which they did and it shoots perfect without baffle strikes. What I love most is the modularity of the platform, I can use ANY AR-15 accessory on it and it has a pistol grip, not a rifle stock grip. OH! and the 5hitty aluminum receiver on the 10/22 stripped when I was putting the included weaver rail on it and I didnt even torque them, they were tapped extremely poorly at the factory. I had to drill and tap the receiver and buy new screws which required me to counter sink in the rail....what a PITA

Now, my new 22lr handgun is the GSG 1911-22, which I got for about $215 after shipping and fees from PSA. It is just like my full size 1911's and the majority of the parts are interchangeable. It also comes with a threaded barrel and the silencerco adapter was only $30 from silencershop.com. I have shot it and it is equally as quiet as my 22/45 and I love it, very easy to use and excellent muscle memory based on full size 1911 use. It is also extremely well made and disassembly is a cinch. The only downfall is a screw holds the barrel in place, so full disassembly requires the screw to be removed, but an allen wrench is included, so it is really no issue.

Sorry no pic, but I did put an OD Green Hogue wraparound grip on it and it looks sick!

At the end of the day if cost is no issue, I say do the GSG 1911 and a dedicated AR-15 in 22lr. If cost IS an issue buy the GSG 1911 and a 10/22. Keep in mind that the AR-15 22 is just as compact as the 10/22 "Takedown" when broken down.

Sorry for the long post but just went through all of this and did a TON of research, very very happy with my new 22lr hosts. If I could sell my Rugers and break even I would!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have the 10/22 and the sr22 (and the five-seven) as my sparrow hosts. I think the Rugers are the way to go personally.... But can't argue with the ar22 route.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Sig (gsg) 1911-22 and a Spikes ST-22 dedicated 22 upper already... I was wondering if the 10-22 is quieter than than the AR. From what Samurai is saying is that they sound the same suppressed? I will stick with the AR22 as long as that reigns true. I still want the SR22 though because its much lighter and more compact than my Sig. My dad has an SR22 and he raves about the thing and its reliability and accuracy. I've used his and I like the ergos too... Thanks for the input fellahs I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Will they cycle colibri? I've shot that through a bolt .22 and had to check to make sure it fired, it was so quiet.
No. Colibri isn't designed to cycle a semi autos action. Neither is super colibri. I agree that its super quiet but its not useful past 20 yards from my experience. I have gone through two bricks of the stuff firing it at various objects and it does OK against very light critters... I wouldnt trust it on large game for a second. Where as you know you could use SVRN rounds on large game in a pinch. Of course I have never done that because that would be going against the man and we never do that.... Also Super Colibri spins out of control about 60 feet after leaving an 18" barrel so that's important to know that you're neutering your effective range when you are using it.

If it came down to it and I needed to be mouse queef quiet I would be selecting my bolt gun and match ammo without a second thought. To me the ammo that is marketed as SUBSONIC BUY ME is over priced. You're buying standard velocity ammo and paying match ammo prices... And I'm rambling... Carry on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts