FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have a progressive reloader or a press.... dont want one right now.

What I would like is a "Hand Press" and dyes to reload 5.7x28 and .50BMG and .50AE... my most expensive rounds.

1) Are there dyes available for the Lee Hand Press?

2) Hypothetically speaking, is there a kinetic hammer available to pull the bullets out of a standard SS197 round?

3) If a kinetic Hammer is not available for 5.7x28, okay... once fired brass, how do you remove the primer and install a new one? Does it need to be sealed with laquer?

4) I like the other guy's comment about reloading with SS109 or some other .223 FMJ round. Hypothetically, will they work? Work well? I'm not here to debate legalities, just curious if HYPOTHETICALLY it would work. I cant find any SS190 around here, with my LEO badge and ID I would be legal to carry AP rounds in my PS90 or FiveseveN.

I dont want to reload a hundreds of rounds... just a few dozen for personal duty use.

Suggestions? I figured it'd be cheaper and easier to pull the bullets out of the green tipped .223 SS109 and/or reload them into new or once fired 5.7x28 brass.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Mark,

Hope I can help-

I have no experience with the .50 BMG or the .50AE..at least yet.

I am with Esteves on the kinetic Hammer - plus I don't really like the idea of smacking a round on the ground- with the primer facing down-the bullet aiming up- towards the location of your head.

1)- I havn't found dies for any of the Lee presses includig the hand one..still looking. Not sure if RCBS or Hornady ones will work on them either?

2&3)- Yes, there is- need the 22 collet, but again I don't like the Kinetic Hammer. Just this morning, I did a product and price search for another user- the RCBS bullet puller and collet for use with a single stage press costs $31 from Midwayusa, the 5.7x28 Full Lenth die set is on sale for $24 from them as well. I have pulled over 6,000 rounds with this unit- still going- the hammer will fall apart after a few hundred. A single stage press is not expensive- check out Midwayusa.com or Midsouthshooterssupply.com for prices.

4)-Check out the link that abpt1 Posted: http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=166 In here is my input on the use of the SS109. The SS109 only needs to have the lead removed and replaced with another substance. I have done this and have them available for sale under the "WTS" topic, "NEW type of 5.7x28 ammo for sale" thread. They work VERY WELL !!! once they are in the correct weight range of 32-34 grns. I also give LEO discounts.

Hope this helped-
Regards

·
Registered
96 Posts
the kinetic puller has the bullet facing down not up.

I have a dillion that 10 plus years old and it works fine. Speed and no bullet deformation of any kind is a benefit of the hammer type.

·
Registered
636 Posts
commander zippy said:
the kinetic puller has the bullet facing down not up.

I have a dillion that 10 plus years old and it works fine. Speed and no bullet deformation of any kind is a benefit of the hammer type.

+1 i love the kinetic puller....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used a Lee hand press for about 20 years. I haven't worn it out, but it is getting a little loose!

I like it for sizing and expanding cases outside, when the weather is pretty, or expanding cases inside while watching TV. (I don't like to size and decap indoors, due to possible primer dust.)

It will handle the 5.7 x 28, and should handle the .50 AE. I have loaded .50 Beowulf on mine, but will not do so again, as it is too much of a strain. It handles pistol size cartridges quite well, and normal rifle cartridges fairly well. It is not physically large enough to handle the .50 BMG, though.

It is slow, and you really need the Lee hand primer to go along with it, but it works. I prefer to charge my cases and seat my bullets on a single stage press, so I can fill a block and then observe the powder level in each case. This is nowhere near as fast as a progressive press, but since part of the process is done while watching TV or sitting in the sun, I don't mind. When the time comes to dispense powder, I have no interruptions, and totally dedicate myself to that task. No reason why this approach would not alwo work with the hand press.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, I admit that I was going to offer a spirited defense of the kinetic bullet puller. :roll:

Mine has gone through many hundred, possibly several thousand rounds. When I was a poor man I actually pulled bullets from the dirt cheap but unreliable Egyptian 9mm that was available at that time. Plus, I have used it to erase several reloading mistakes over the years.

I admit that I have never tried to pull the bullet from a 5.7 x 28 mm case. So, I went upstairs, and proceeded to do so. The bullet puller broke on the second smack! :oops:

I will buy another one. They do have advantages. I do agree that one should always wear eye protection when using one. It is necessary to have some thing really heavy to strike against. I use a chunk of lead that probably weights 20 pounds.

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention. Yes, the Lee hand press uses conventional 7/8 x 14 dies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts