FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ha guys, I bought this gun about 3 months ago and still haven't fired a single round from it. I'm just getting around to cleaning it so I can take it to the range. I noticed a lot of wear on the slide and barrel, I'm not worried about it! I was just wondering if this was normal for a brand new FNX.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Im finally taking it out this weekend. I can't wait to shoot it. I just thought it was odd having all those wear marks but I'm not worried I guess! I'll be putting more on it.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
no problem, more than a few folks have noticed, mentioned and asked...I can't give you the answer as to why....not sure if it occurs during the factory test fire or not but I can my marks haven't gotten much worse after the first 700 rounds.....enjoy it this weekend!

Thanks guys! Im finally taking it out this weekend. I can't wait to shoot it. I just thought it was odd having all those wear marks but I'm not worried I guess! I'll be putting more on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, same here. I had wear marks that looked almost exactly the same. I think it is machining marks since I have seen many of them look exactly like that. I have been regularly lubing where the marks are. After about 800 rounds they are definitely worse but still nothing to worry about. Have fun and enjoy. I have been loving mine. Gonna try to colorfill it this weekend and planning to get the JathTech safety and Trijicon HD sights for it soon. I'm also looking forward to some of the other stuff that JathTech is planning to come out with. I emailed him last week with a question and he responded within a couple hours so I am looking forward to supporting his shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I kept the slide racked for awhile. All my mags drop free empty and loaded! It don't seem to have any of the problems that some people have had. Can't wait to shoot it, it feels so natural and comfortable in my hand.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My gun must have a slightly better fit that yours as mine does not show quite that amount of finish wear with 750 rounds through it. The FDE finish does seem to wear off a little faster than the black that's on my FNP-9 (although the FNX has angled edges where my FNP-9 does not and that caused it to get slightly rolled edges-although it doesn't affect function at all, just buttery smooth now with 8500+ rounds through that one)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
All normal. As some already mentioned, we got the pistol new out of the box like that.

Reactions: Raider

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I just got one that don't fit perfectly. I like to keep my guns looking as new as possible and it looks like it's had 500 rounds fired through it! Especially the barrel, it looks worse in person than in the picture but oh well, I'm just going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As many others have said on here, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as it is just rubbed off finish, and you still have a smooth surface without any deep grooves or scratches. Mine had similar signs of wear on the barrel, particularly in areas where the slide makes slight contact when racking back and forth, near the muzzle and near the ejection port. In a way, it's a good thing, because it is probably evidence of quality control in that your gun was factory tested. About 500 rounds so far for me, and still shooting straight without any malfunctions. I just apply a little bit of lube in those areas every time I clean just in case.

barrelwear.jpg extractorwear.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts