FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New poster here and a brand new FNP-45 owner! Last night after I bought it I noticed it was VERY difficult to push down on the slide release lever to release the slide from the locked back position. I sent an e-mail to customer support late that evening and imagine my surprise when when I had an e-mail reply at 8:30 this morning from an FNP rep stating to call him about this issue.
I called him and he stated that they are in the process of rewriting the manual stating that this is a slide lock lever and the best way to release the slide is to pull the slide back slightly with your weak hand and then release the slide. I guess it will probably be labeled a "slide lock lever" instead of "slide release lever".

Anyway, his method works great and after I cleaned it and put a light film of oil on the lever and catch surface it works much easier as well. Kudos to FN for great customer service and I'm excited to take it to the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed this as well with my 45 while trying to work the release with my strong hand thumb... From coming from a SigPro I always had to use my weak hand thumb to knock the slide release (EDIT... Opps this was the hammer drop, still the same point I posted below, just to hard to hit the lever with my strong hand thumb) so I tried the same thing with the 45 and sure as can be it works very well.

Give it a try, I'll see if I can explain how (I hope you know what I mean, words aren't good for this sort of thing, pics will do much better).

When doing a mag change with your weak hand slide in the mag and then roll your weak hand up to your shooting grip position, but before the grab, take your weak hand thumb "pad" and hit (push) the slide release. Sorry I did my best to explain :oops: . This way is much faster then taking your weak hand all the way up to rack the slide then taking back down to the 2 hand hold, I would bet you could save a 1/2 second or maybe even more... But it goes without saying, use what ever way is fastest/better for "you".

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am able to release the slide lock with whatever hand I am shooting it with.
But I do not chamber a round this way normally.

Grab it from the rear and let er rip.
On my semi auto rifles I use the charging handle the same way to chamber a new round instead of trying to push down on the BHO. I can do it but I don't.

You have the recoil spring working against it, which you have noticed is pretty stout. Repeated use may cause the parts to wear into each other a little to much and it won't lock back when empty.

Besides if you just emptied 15 rounds of 230 gr hp's and you absolutely need that extra half second or so you have big problems.

These are combat/duty pistols not race guns.
:cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
powermad said:
I am able to release the slide lock with whatever hand I am shooting it with.
But I do not chamber a round this way normally.

Grab it from the rear and let er rip.
On my semi auto rifles I use the charging handle the same way to chamber a new round instead of trying to push down on the BHO. I can do it but I don't.

You have the recoil spring working against it, which you have noticed is pretty stout. Repeated use may cause the parts to wear into each other a little to much and it won't lock back when empty.

Besides if you just emptied 15 rounds of 230 gr hp's and you absolutely need that extra half second or so you have big problems.

These are combat/duty pistols not race guns.
:cool:
powermad said:
Repeated use may cause the parts to wear into each other a little to much and it won't lock back when empty
I would have to say I see that being very highly unlikely... If you think about it, just the force of the slide stopping on the "release" when the mag was empty would make this wear happen... I am sure the release (well in this case, slide stop) is a very hard part to wear out.

powermad said:
If you are in a gun fight (lets use a Police officer for an example, because I will agree if a civi just emptied 14 in a gun fight they should be able to back off or they are dead) a 1/2 second could be 2 more rounds coming your way from the BG, 2 more bullets to find there target. Time, means everything when bullets are flying, don't even discount .10th of a second when something is coming at you 1000fps, do everything possible to improve your time to fire... No need for me to prove to a reader of this post that there has been many fire fights with Civilians/Police/Military/BG that shoot "many" rounds (and reloaded) and no one got hit, but what if that 1/2 second would have saved you or the good guy? Remember that 1/2 second could be 2 more shots from "you". "What ifs" mean so much when it comes to life and death, I will do what ever it takes to make sure I can put a bullet in the air at its target as fast as possible, if for anything, to make sure I can say "What if" the next morning.

Shooting at paper is nothing like shooting at a person... If anyone thinks they will do the same while hitting a target (hitting the X spot all day) when confronted with a life or death stand off, well, they are Dead wrong... Try this, run in place for 5min, now shoot at your target, now take that feeling/shot and times it by 100+, now you are a bit closer to what a life or death shot will be like... Everyone just remember, this isn't a FPS game, there is no re-spawn to fight again if a bullet fines you ;) .

As I said above... "But it goes without saying, use what ever way is fastest/better for "you".

Way off subject of this thread, so I will let this go, I have said my piece. Be safe and do what it takes to see the Sun the next day.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Was an empty magazine in the gun when you tried to release the slide??? You would be fighting the magazine spring trying to release the slide that way. I had no problem releasing the slide of an FNP45 at Bass Pro Shops when I was playing with one, of course the magazine wasn't inserted, just asking.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is all part of a learning process for me. I always though the standard way to chamber a round when the slide was locked open was to insert the loaded magazine then push down on the slide release lever. Obviously, this isnt correct and the proper way is to pull back on the slide and release.
My method wasnt to increase speed in a battle situation or anything like that, simply lack of proper knowledge.

Well, off to the range in a while and I'll let everybody know my thoughts and impressions. My only real comparison will be to my Springfield XD40 so defintely not an apples to apples comparison but it will give me a good idea as to which I like better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first handgun was an XD-9. My second was an FNP-9. My third was an FNP-9 USG. Today, I sold the XD. :D I also really like these weapons. In my opinion, for the price they can't be beat.

As for the slide release on the 45, it's pretty much worthless. While you aren't necessarily wrong to use the slide release, it's just not ideal with the FNP-45. The 9 and 40 are completely different. I don't totally understand why they went with that tiny little tab on the 45.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I normally use the slide release lever on my pistols. When shooting outside with gloves, then I yank the slide back to chamber a round. I will most likely go to this method.

I can easily (on an empty mag) work the slide lever on my FN45 with my strong hand (right). However, I just cannot (at this point) do so when shooting weak hand.

I am trying to convert to shooting left handed, as I am left eye dominant. I suppose with practice I could get the motion down, but I know that the "slide yank" technique works more positively in more situations.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
While I use both, I tend to think that sling-shotting the slide to release it would be a better gross motor skill to utilize if you were under stress.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I've heard from professional pistol shooters (1911's) that it is generally easier (and faster) to "sling shot" the slide to load a new round as the release tab can be dfficult to reach/find when under stress and is a bit harder to create muscle memory for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts