FN Herstal Firearms banner

Slide returning with mag insertion.

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ATL_Matt 
#1 · (Edited)
Feel slightly retarded asking this. But I finally got my FNX-45 to the range, and noticed that if I insert the mag with some force, or even bump the bottom of the mag with my palm after gently inserting it, that the slide will release on its own.

Ran about 4-5 mags through it like that, not even really thinking about it. I just thought "ooo, I like that"

Upon thinking about it some more today, I checked my manual to see if there was any mention of this 'feature', but no. Also did a little Googling before posting here, to see how common it was, and found lots of other brands doing the same thing.

Nowhere did I find that its actually something mentioned by companies, that the pistol was designed to do.

Anyone know if I should be worried about tearing something up by doing so? I havent yet stripped down the pistol to see if any of the smaller parts are being hit.

On a side note though, the edge of the mag release protrudes into the magazine tunnel, which allows the front of the mag to catch on it, if its not put in a certain way. Think I may have to pull the release out, and bevel the edge.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not a design feature, but it is a common on in many pistols...especially polymer framed ones. It's nothing to worry about from a wear and tear angle, though.

Reactions: Six
#3 · (Edited)
Before you go and do a refit to the slide stop, check your pistol for an empty chamber, insert an empty magazine into the well, then rack the slide hard. Did the slide stop seat fully into it's notch in the slide or did it just seat part way? If just part way, maybe that's why bumping the magazine dislodges the stop allowing the slide to trip. Could also be caused by a tight fit between the slide stop and the frame restricting full movement of the slide stop which likely will disappear after you break in the pistol. While you're at it, compare the magazine follower height with all of your magazines. Do any of the followers appear a bit lower than the others? Could you be limp wristing the last round? Please do not take this as criticism of your pistol or shooting technique. My intent is just to try and help you locate the source of your problem. By letting us know how this turns out, someone will come up with a fix.

#5 ·
Marshall Kane, Im not going to try refitting anything with the slide stop. I just had to bevel the mag release where it was catching. Seems to be a documented problem. Pretty lazy on unloading my mags, but I can engage the side stop fully. Insert a mag with some force, and it will still drop the slide.

Was a little concerned at first, but seems all is good. I personally like that it does it, and its actually fairly consistent here. Only have about 80 rounds through mine.

#8 ·
This...
it took my M&P about 6-7k rounds to get here but I like it for both competition and tactical. Saves a step that I often fumble with - short thumb I guess. Honestly wish all my guns would do it but my main competition guns are CZ and they don't from my experience. Best

#7 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. I have one Glock 19 that will do it on occasion.

Now, I once had a Colt series 80 that would reliably drop the hammer when a magazine was inserted. That IS a problem.:confused0068mf8:
One of a couple reasons you'll never see me with a 1911 again. There's a hole in the bedroom wall of the house I used to live in. Thank God it was a rural place...no neighbors. I was young and dumb. Discipline hadn't really set in so well. Age is a good thing sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.