FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using the light piston for 2 3/4" buckshot and slugs and it works fine. I'm planning on buying some Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" 1 3/8 oz slugs. I would like to us the the light piston as well and the light piston is as it rated for loads less than 1.5 oz. I have never fired a 3" shell from my SLP before so should I use the heavy piston instead even though the slug weighs a bit less that 1.5 oz?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would go with the heavy piston if your going to use 3" magnum loads.

You probably could use the light piston but you will be putting alot more stress on the weapon and possibly shorten the life of the light piston ALOT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't used the heavy piston at all so do need to break in the heavy piston? I have put over 900 rounds through the light piston.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a chance to shoot 3" shells from my SLP

I finally had a change to use the heavy piston in my SLP. I fired five 3" Federal TruBall slugs and five Brenneke Black Magic Slugs. The TruBall really startled the people at the range as it was really loud even with hearing protection on. The Brenneke ones were a bit milder on the recoil compared to the TruBall slugs. Here is the picture of the target. I put is out at 25 yards which is the maximum distance for the indoor range I gi to. The TruBall made a round hold on the Brenneke made a jagged hole and I did not shoot the TruBall well at all. I also fired 25 rounds of the Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot and they cycled fine with the heavy piston as well.

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts