FN Herstal Firearms banner

SLP Mark1 export

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ShipWreck 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I fancy the SLP Mark1. I will use it for hunting and clay shooting. I live in Norway and due to export regulations I have found a broker in the USA taking care of all the paperwork. So far so good.

BUT...Then I got a message from another company saying:

"The Office of Defense Trade Controls, U.S. Department of State will not approve the export of combat shotguns unless they are being exported to a police or military end user"

I contacted Directorate of Defense Trade Control and they wrote: "Sporting shotguns are under the export jurisdiction of the US Department of Commerce".

To whom I then wrote a mail and got a very rapid response:"You must review the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) 0A984 for shotguns to figure out what export controls there are for your shotguns".

I had a look at the 0A984 but I really couldn't figure out if the SLP is in the clear. Wouldn't like to spend 1000$ + export commision to find out that the gun is not exportable.

So question is, is the SLP, per definition, a sporting shotgun? Are there only two categories in which a shotgun can fall, either destructive device of sporting shotgun? Or a third, combat/assault shotgun?

Sorry about the long post, hoping for some help on this! Just a last thing, seems like there are a shortage of SLP's. Any word from the importer about next shipment and when they will hit the shops?

Thanks;
John

See less See more
#3 ·
FN SLP Mark 1 export

Just got the word from the boys in charge at DDTC. The FN SLP Mark1 is classified as a combat shotgun, hence it would require an export license from DDTC.
And a license would only be granted to police or military agencies, not to private individuals. :cry:

BUT having said that, if I get the gun shop to replace the 8 round magazine with a sporting Win SX2 4 round magazine, then it would not longer be a combat shotgun? Or is it not possible to reclassify a firearm by changing the components?

I'll give FN Herstal in Belgium a call to see if they can help me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.