FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is a disabled shooter and recently he sent me a small project. He has a device that allows him to fire his rifles with a solenoid that bolts to the trigger well and activates the trigger.

This is a typical setup on a typical AR.

Now for the issue, there isn't a setup that works for him on the SCAR16 or 17.

What I had to do is come up with a design that would allow this device to be used on the SCAR.
What I wanted to do is come up with a simple setup that could be used on both the 16 and 17 without needing to be adjusted to fit or multiple plates for each SCAR.

This is what I came up with, one pair of plates that work on both the 16 and 17.

Now all that is left is to Cerakote the plates and send the assemble back to him and he can finally fire his SCARs for himself. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
That's some fine work, Tal. Nicely done.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Nicely done Tal, nicely done, you're a good friend and I'm sure your ingenuity and hard work is appreciated. :?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Good job.

Reactions: Talhoffer

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to Cerakote the parts and have them ready to send back.
I know the parts don't look like much but I think I succeeded in keeping the setup simple and easy to use for him. Really wish I had a waterjet for cutting out these parts, instead everything had to be done with a bandsaw, zipwheel, a drill, bench grinder,a TIG and several hand files but all in all I don't think it came out to bad. :wink:

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
You did a GREAT job Tal,

Long before CNC and Waterjets things were done with the tools you used. I wonder how many folks still know how to do things the "old school" way?

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll have time this weekend to Cerakote the parts and have them ready to send back.
I know the parts to look like much but I think I succeeded in keeping the setup simple and easy to use for him. Really wish I had a waterjet for cutting out these parts, instead everything had to be done with a bandsaw, zipwheel, a drill, bench grinder,a TIG and several hand files but all in all I don't think it came out to bad. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You did a GREAT job Tal,

Long before CNC and Waterjets things were done with the tools you used. I wonder how many folks still know how to do things the "old school" way?
From my experience, sadly fewer and fewer.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
That is sad.

Back in the day my Father made me repair an edger we had that I broke -it was my Sister who actually broke it, but no one has ever revealed that truth- he gave me a stick, two rocks and a seashell, told me I had two hours, grumbled then walked away. Did I mention there was a blizzard in Coral Gables that year? I tossed the frikkin' thing off the boat dock behind the house and told my Dad, aliens abducted it AND his "tools". He was more interested in the tools than edger. No really, true story! :icon_wtf:

From my experience, sadly fewer and fewer.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Very nice work Tal and kudos to you for taking on a project like that. I am sure your friend knows the value of your friendship and work!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hate to be this guy, but is this legal? I thought I remember seeing something about the legality of remotely operated firing systems.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
Tal-- forgive the question but wouldn't a rotating mechanis work if oblong faster to he spin the faster fire on trigger? Would work on both rifles, and you just attach that to trigger of choice?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts