FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone who might know someone at Smith & Wesson that might be able to help me.

So I have a Smith & Wesson 22A pistol. I know it's a cheap .22LR pistol, but I feel a company should treat customers with the most expensive items the same as customers with the least expensive items. Well the pistol was sprayed with some kind of black gun paint from the factory. Over time the paint has worn in the usual area's and started to flake off. Like scratch the paint off with my finger nail. So I decide this pistol needs to be blued/parkerized/Cerakoted. The problem is that all the ATF markings are laser engraved super shallow and to make matter's worse whatever paint they used was put on thick and the laser engraving is almost 100% in the paint and not in the metal frame. I call the my ATF branch office seeking some advice over the phone and get the same answer I thought was correct. The original maker is the only one who can re-engrave pistol basically. I take lots of pictures and call Smith & Wesson customer support and explain the issue and they kindly email me a prepaid FedEx label. I write a very long detailed letter about the issue drop it and the pistol in a box and ship it. About 2 or 3 weeks later I get the pistol back and a letter inside that says test fired pistol and functions properly. I'm kinda ticked that I wasted my time writing this long detailed letter with pictures and stuff. So I call them up again and they look up the case and say "it worked correctly when we had it, if you want I can send it back in". To which I reply it has always worked correctly it's the required ATF markings that are the problem. The engraving to shallow! So now the customer service rep re-sinds his ship it back offer and asks me to send detailed pictures to his email. I do it and receive an email back stating the serial number has been tampered with and they will not do anything......I'm pretty ticked off now. I bought the gun brand new and have the receipt with the freaking serial number on it. So I call again and speak with another CS rep and he says send ME the pictures and let me inspect the engravings. So I send real nice hi-res photo's explaining I fear if I remove the paint the serial will go with it. So that email goes out. No response of course so after a week I re-send it and everyday after that I send "did you get my email, emails" He finally responds with we engrave firearm markings to required ATF depths, sizes, and letters. So I'm thinking I was worrying about nothing. I put some nail polish on a cotton ball and wipe the serial number area.......Yup you can probably guess what happened next. The serial number is 99% gone. You have to hold the handgun just right in the light to see faint serial number and ATF markings. I called my local ATF branch and they very kindly transfer me to someone in the tech branch. The agent says the engraving first of all should have been engraved in the metal first then painted. Since there is a possibility the paint may be too thick and cause depth in metal issues. He also explains the manufacture is required to laser engrave, engrave, stamp all the markings at minimum .03 inches deep and gave me the specific laws to mention to smith and wesson. So I call smith and wesson again and get transferred this time to the "compliance" department this time. I'm told to leave a voice message because they are out for lunch and will call me when they get back. No call back of course. I call again and asked to be transferred to the compliance department and the new customer service agent basically tells me off. He wants to know the issue before he transfers me, so I explain to which he says he's worked for S&W for over 20 years and they have never had a firearm leave the factory that wasn't the required ATF depth. He then explains how a laser works and that it's impossible for it not to correct. To which I kindly reply with a question. So if the laser is supposed to engrave .03" deep and for sake of argument you have .06" of hard dry paint on the frame how deep would that laser engrave in the metal? He mumbled and said fine I'll transfer you to the compliance department (Voice Mail).
So does anyone have any idea's? Phone numbers of people who can possibly help me? Insight? Anything?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Last I knew Kate Fredette was the CSR manager for S&W, but going through her was about useless as tits on a bull. I actually had to write the president of S&W, James Debney to get anything done.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish Smith & Wesson would re-engrave it. I wished they did it the first time I sent it to them when the paint was still on and completely visible with the contrasting black and white. They did nothing when I sent it in. Then they accused me of altering the serial! WTF!!!! Which I did not...Bought the gun new and have receipt with serial. Then said it was the required depth. Then when I removed the paint with nail polish and a cotton ball and the serial disappeared told me to basically pound sand it's my problem now. It really upsets me that I'm going to have to turn it in to the ATF to be destroyed since S&W screwed up when they manufactured it. The sad thing is they could easily fix it, but they must hate me. It sucks for folks that follow the law even if they disagree with the law. When given the choice of F-it or turn it in to be destroyed I unfortunately will turn it in to be destroyed. Even though I probably have more of a chance of being hit by lighting then and government agent ever inspecting for serial number but I will be the unlucky one and get 10 years in prison.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heck maybe the ATF will pay me a little something so they can markup the price and sell to criminals. J/K It sucks that I live down south because we don't have "no questions asked gun buy backs" if I lived up north I could probably turn it in and get enough money to buy a brand new one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it's in the safe, for an emergency SHTF situation, and only that....just sayin..

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don't you just have the serial number engraved?
Only person who can legally re-engrave is the manufacture. According to the law if I was to re-engrave it I could get 10 years in prison. ATF views re-engraving as bad if not worse then obliterating the serial number. I asked the ATF why and it made sense. Only thing worse the no serial is a fake serial. Either used to turn "hot" stolen guns legit, make fake collector guns, or to make "dirty guns" clean guns. The agent told me about a case where this guy was buying guns that were stolen, had murders on them, etc from gangs super cheap and re-finishing/re-engraving them with fake/legit serial numbers and selling them to gun/pawn shops. The shops ran the serials and did everything right. The guy was selling so many constantly that it raised eyebrows. Especial when one of the shops called other shops and asked if they bought guns from so and so. Then that shop called the ATF and they launched an investigation and discovered the guys whole operation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am having similar issues. I emailed about a 642 that the metal was basically deteriorating and the finish or clear coat was pealing off. I was given a shipping label. That was about 5 weeks ago. I called and and was told it would be a couple months before they get to it. That the finish is only warrantied for a year and that its been over a year. That I will get a detailed quote and that if I accept cost, it would be another couple months before refinish is complete. So I am looking at 3-5 months and they are ignoring the whole deteriatint metal part. Just concentrating on the finish which is not under warranty. I am bummed. My experience is definatly disappointing.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am having similar issues. I emailed about a 642 that the metal was basically deteriorating and the finish or clear coat was pealing off. I was given a shipping label. That was about 5 weeks ago. I called and and was told it would be a couple months before they get to it. That the finish is only warrantied for a year and that its been over a year. That I will get a detailed quote and that if I accept cost, it would be another couple months before refinish is complete. So I am looking at 3-5 months and they are ignoring the whole deteriatint metal part. Just concentrating on the finish which is not under warranty. I am bummed. My experience is definatly disappointing.
WHAT? That's crazy. It's either blued or stainless. It shouldn't have a clear coat. Sounds like it needs some rust preventative oil. Though if it's oiled regularly and cleaned it shouldn't rust. The only time I see guns rust is when I completely remove the bluing or sand blast it and leave it for a couple of days. It's a light iron oxide powder that wipes off with a rag. If the metal is deteriorating from something other then rust it's a manufacturing defect. Period! If S&W gives you crap I would politely ask if the gun is basically designed to be used once or twice then left at a crime scene and when they bag it as evidence it disintegrates helping ensure you aren't caught?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it's in the safe, for an emergency SHTF situation, and only that....just sayin..
If you want a good .22 and don't want to spend a ton trade it towards a buckmark
First, builtbyob I've thought about it....but I'm re-getting my FFL, have a large collection of NFA items and honestly I am a scared of breaking the law. Second, Hank Hill I've got a Browning Buckmark and LOVE it. I added a new threaded barrel, picatinny rail, wood grips, red dot, and a bunch of custom work. It's a tack driver! So most fun to shoot. But it's a browning not a S&W. Difference in quality is like comparing a FN SCAR to a M&P AR-15.

·
Registered
47 Posts
WHAT? That's crazy. It's either blued or stainless. It shouldn't have a clear coat.
It's a stainless model but make no mistake, there some some type of clear finish that was pealing off in small sheets. It was wiped down daily with Break Free CLP. I can understand standard wear on a firearm and don't expect manufactures to warranty a scrap or scratch on the finish but when then entire gun is basically deteriorating and this firearm was carried in a holster or belly band the entire time and cared for, that's a different story. This is just what the receptionist told me at S&W. I have yet to get an official response from someone who has actually examined the firearm. It's been over a month so hopefully another month I will get a response and know how to proceed. It is frustrating though. When I sent in pictures and got the response with the shipping label I was feeling pretty good about their customer service and thought they would make it right. Then after speaking to this woman and hearing the time frames and likely resolution, it made me rethink my want list entirely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts