FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody at the office gave me this knife. Pretty neat, appears to be a bayonet actually. My question is what is the funky hunk of metal for at the end of the sheath. The piece with the groove and some metal things protruding. I noticed the hole in the blade fits over one of them.

Knife Challenged Drew

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that mentioned online but Im not grasping how it works. I didnt try it with the strap removed from the sheath and maybe that the missing detail that would allow the knife to move in the correct orientation. Ill try it again tomorrow when my allergy meds wear off.

·
Banned
328 Posts
The lug on the sheath goes in the hole in the bayonet - wire goes in the slot and the bayonet rotates across it like scissors. The "top" edge of the knife (the one with the least distance between the edge and the hole) faces towards the slot and does the cutting. The sharp edge of the knife would be facing back towards the pouch on the scabbard.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well I hate to say it, but it looks like S&W took the New USMC bayonet and added a wire cutter. How innovative of them. :roll:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
actually more research reveals its a direct copy of this
Well there ya go.

Lets see S&W made a copy of the 1911, A copy AR-15, a copy of the Glock, and now a copy of the USMC bayonet. Did they downsize all their engineers? I haven't seen an orignal idea come from S&W in..... well.... a very long time.

They need to get some young inovators in there to push things into the future or they will soon go the way of winchester.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Does Winchester even make gun's anymore?

The only thing I see from them is ammo.

Also, that wire-cutter set up looks like the emergency seat belt cutters I've seen. That's kinda what I thought it was at first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts