Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order my first boxes of rounds online
I read through all the posts and still don't know if i should get 195 or 197
prices seem to be the same

Can't buy locally since they want $25/box

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Well, for a while, all I could get was the 197 locally. I started stacking that up, so I have more 195, and it was all I had for quite some time.

I finally got 1 box of 195 last month, and shot a few rounds off. The point of impact compared to my aim is about the same - so no need to readjust my eotech. So, I can use either ammo.

The 195 is what U would use if U want to use the gun for defensive purposes, or if U wanna shoot beyond 100 yards I think. The 195 has a longer range and goes a bit faster. Also, when I first found 195, it was $2-$3 more per box.

Now that I am buying online - they are generally the same cost. of my 2000 rounds, 1/3 is now 195. But, it's ammo I will hold off on the side. For just regular range use, I'm using the 195.

It's what is sold locally, so I can pick up a box here and there, so I can still shoot and not touch my stockpile (although, I will rotate thru it).

Now, supposedly the 195 with the lead free primer won't last as long stored - some claim that after 10 years, there may be some problems with the rounds.

Did I answer your question? :p Probably not, huh? :p

If its just range use - it doesn't really matter. If U use the gun for hunting small animals - supposedly that is what the 197 is good for. If U want to use the same ammo that you would use for defensive purposes, then get the 195. Or, U can get a little of both like I did :)

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Yea, last time I looked, Midway only have 1 of the 2 ammo types - I forget which one they had.

I order from CMMG all the time. I have ordered several shipments of just a couple of boxes with a magazine, to 250 rounds to 1100 rounds. I have 200 rounds coming in tomorrow that will put me at my 2k. And, I have 2 more mags. That will give me 8.

Since the round is proprietary, and i have a tough time getting rounds locally (my local shop was out for 2.5 months, and now they only have 11 boxes of 197 - at $23 now. The were $19.96 on their last shipment) - I have decided to keep a significant amount in stock. I'd never stock that much of any other round. But its not like I can go to Wal-Mart or go choose from 5-10 different manufacturers for the round. I love my PS90 so much, and have probably close to $3k invested in it with all the crap that goes along with it - I don't want to have a gun that I have no ammo for one day.

Anyway, back to my point... CMMG is great. If I order on the weekend, they always ship out on that Monday. They e-mail me the tracking info, and I can tell when it is coming in. I always get it by the Wed or Thur at the latest - each and every time. I am very happy with their service.

I could have bought my last 200 rounds and 2 mags at the Houston guns how. But the prices were a couple of bucks more on each item, and then there was the sales tax. It's cheaper to pay the $7 shipping, so I just bought from them. 6 of my 8 mags were purchased from CMMG.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i am going to give tanners a call
they are $17.50 a box and $15 shipping for 20 boxes

that seems like a good deal, they are also 1 day shipping from my office.

I wonder if they sell velcro :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
wlcohen said:
I think i am going to give tanners a call
they are $17.50 a box and $15 shipping for 20 boxes

that seems like a good deal, they are also 1 day shipping from my office.

I wonder if they sell velcro :wink:
You won't be disappointed with Tanners. That's where I bought 3 of my guns, and my ammo. You just can't beat their prices!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Barrow's Automotive in Butler, Georgia sells SS195LF and SS197SR for $19.99 if you are in that area.

My groups with SS197SR are averaging 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards versus 1 3/4 inches for SS195LF.

I only tried once, but SS197SR did not set off a 1/2 pound Tannerite exploding target at 50 yards. SS195LF will set it off every time.

If I recall correctly SS195LF has an aluminum core bullet, so it is friendlier to the environment :)

I think I saw one gelatin test on the other forum. That test may have been out of a pistol. I think SS197SR penetrates deeper, but does not tumble. SS195LF tumbles. I'd like to see more gelatin or other media be tested.

I'll prolly stick with SS195LF since I like to shoot Tannerite.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
That's a little cheaper than I paid at CMMG - but not by much. I got my last shipment yesterday. Now I have 2k stocked. I'm done, except for the occassional box to buy to shoot now. That'll be my stash.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1,000 round should last me a while
I don't to the rifle range much maybe 2 - 3 times a year
I mostly go to the indoor handgun range since it's about 5 min. from my house and the outdoor rifle range is about 45 min.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts