FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chocolatiers did a fine job on it, but once I took it apart I have these concerns that I'll beg you to alleviate:

1 - The bolt carrier appears to ride metal on plastic as far as I can tell.

2 - The disconnector, hammer, and pretty much entire trigger pack is plastic.

3 - The 'switch?' It's also plastic, and appears vulnerable. The whole thing held together with little belgian nuts 'n bolts.....

4 - Gas rings??? This I really didn't expect at all, and it left me somewhat crestfallen. I though they were a thing of the past...

If anyone has links to a torture test that was performed on these, or any other expression of its toughness, round count, or longevity please share...

Thanks,

--Fargo007

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
There is a message or post floating around here somewhere - someone has gone thru something like 10k rounds or close to that before some part broke...

·
Registered
43 Posts
And, he admits that it was something that he did, so, the tally continues to go up on the plastic gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's up to 15K now. :shock:

Okay, I'm feeling a lil' better, thanks brethren. But having not taken it apart in two halves, I'm wondering if there is *any* metal inside that the bolt carrier rides on? It just doesn't make sense to have metal ride plastic.

Can somebody take me across the street on that?

I actually have a keg of belgian abbey coming to the meister today, to celebrate the arrival of the rifle. I might back it up with some guylian chocolates.

--Fargo007

\

·
Registered
114 Posts
ah, i thought you meant actual Belgian Abbey beer (Westvleteren, Chimay, Westmalle, etc), not Belgian-style beer brewed in NJ. :)

my experience is limited to the real deal. ;)

but enjoy!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The imports use a different keg adapter which is expensive, not to mention that if you could find chimay in a keg here, it would probably be a year old and stale.

The Flying Fish is brewed right across the river, and when served in the proper glass is nearly identical to some of the actual belgian dubbel's.

Now Leffe blond on the other hand..... There's nothing here that compares to that.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seem like a lot of money for 90% plastic parts
don't buy it then...

but they are pretty reliable as one member on here has put over 15k round through his without a system failure.

·
Registered
857 Posts
cabrito said:
don't buy it then...

but they are pretty reliable as one member on here has put over 15k round through his without a system failure.
Oh I still want one! :?
Gonna get one when the price goes down, they want $2300 here in the great state of MD

I jumped on the PS90 and paid $1800 now they are $1600 in this fantastic state

·
Registered
111 Posts
wlcohen said:
cabrito said:
don't buy it then...

Oh I still want one! :?
Gonna get one when the price goes down, they want $2300 here in the great state of MD

I jumped on the PS90 and paid $1800 now they are $1600 in this fantastic state

$2300?!? have you tried the classifieds here, on ar15.com, or even gunbroker.com

there are plenty for just under $2000.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wlcohen said:
cabrito said:
there are plenty for just under $2000.
Not here in the great state of MD
have never done the gunbroker of out of state purchase yet
may have to give it atry
What you need to do is forge a relationship with an FFL, tell him you're a collector, and you want a standard transfer rate from him. If it's a store, then you also let him know you'll be buying your reloading supplies, hoppe's, targets, patches, and all that other stuff there, and sending some brethren in too.

It's a winning formula for me.

I went to the range at lunchtime, and sent the first 90 rounds out of the FS2000. Boy, am I happy with it. It took four shots to zero it with the EOtech on it. 55gr handloads. I tinkered for a while, drilling some decent groups on paper at 100y, and then went prone to try rapid-firing on a steel silhouette target at 200 yards. It's a 2/3 size sil, (11.3" wide) which at that distance simulates a 350 yard shot.

Holding the dot of the eotech at the upper chest, I scored five very rapid (in under five seconds) hits in a row. When shouldered tight, and supported prone, it has a very controllable recoil cycle. Having it tight on the shoulder is key I believe, as the bulk of the motion occurs near there.

I used the FN magazine, and two C-Products all-steel high reliability mags, which I highly recommend.

Now loving the gun like a fat kid loves cake, I cleared it, returned it to the case, and headed back to work.

--Fargo007

·
Registered
63 Posts
Waiting for the price to go down??? people have been saying that since the gun came out and now they are selling for $500 more.

BTW this is my hammer group after 15,000 rounds

·
Registered
111 Posts
mcguiver-007 said:
Waiting for the price to go down??? people have been saying that since the gun came out and now they are selling for $500 more.

reading your reports always gives me confidence in my FS2000, even though I may never approach 15k rounds in its lifetime.

·
Registered
857 Posts
mcguiver-007 said:

Amazing, looks like it came out of a toy gun

·
Registered
63 Posts
The point is, look at the face of the hammer. It isn't even dented. That piece of high tech plastic has impacted the fireing pin over 15000 times and it looks like it was just made. Also I cant even remember the last time I cleaned the hammer pack, the thing just keeps on working without so much as a wipedown or a drop of oil added. The steel hammer in my AR-15 looked like crap after half this many rounds. Whatever kind of plastic they use it is a hell of a lot more durable than steel. The only failures I have had were due to me completly breaking the gun down to its indavidual components to duracoat it and then incorrectly putting it back together. After fixing MY mistake it has functioned flawlessly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The point is, look at the face of the hammer. It isn't even dented. That piece of high tech plastic has impacted the fireing pin over 15000 times and it looks like it was just made. Also I cant even remember the last time I cleaned the hammer pack, the thing just keeps on working without so much as a wipedown or a drop of oil added. The steel hammer in my AR-15 looked like crap after half this many rounds. Whatever kind of plastic they use it is a hell of a lot more durable than steel. The only failures I have had were due to me completly breaking the gun down to its indavidual components to duracoat it and then incorrectly putting it back together. After fixing MY mistake it has functioned flawlessly.
you're a trailblazer, man!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.