FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(also posted in sigforum gripe area fyi)

So I've had this Norinco Mak-90 for a lotta years, bought for 200 or so from a local gunstore.

Finally decided to restock it from the wobbly thumbhole deal to a tapco folder. Also decided pistol grip and an AK-74 muzzle brake.

A "buddy" who works at my range/gunclub/store offered to do the fitting of the stock/grip and he would send the gun to their gunsmith to install the brake.

Well I took it out shooting for the first time yesterday & it keyholed targets from 30 ft out argh... A little googling and it appears it's all too common for "bubba" smiths to mess up the thread mfgring causing the brake to be offset?? such that el bullet strikes the end of the break on exit.

Suggested fixes range from toss the 74 break * go with a slant style or gt a rat tail file & enlarge the exit on the break.

I am dexterity challenged so I need to use ANOTHER smith.. What to do, I like the gun... Preference is that reaming procedure as I like the dman brake. Anyone ever hear of this as a decent soln? All I have is the google reference of that being viable...

Sigh... This & a PS90 are my only rifles/carbines I like this little MAK. Advice? No I won't return it to the orig smith, I'm through with him.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is the bullet hitting on the top of bottom of the break? Id say your best bet is to go with a slant break or... drill out the 74 break larger.

Ive had to deal with some Bubba threads to on AR-15's after the AWB expired everyone had there postbans threaded and I saw alot of bad jobs done. Even the total wrong threads to fit anything... :lol:

Er, this is another thing people dont think about. Make sure your US parts count is up with putting a folding stock and threading the muzzle. I know its a BS law and they have never enforced it but its not good to take that chance.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yep, section 922r of the defunct assault weapons ban is still in effect for Chinese imports. If I recall correctly you cannot have 10 or more imported parts in your weapon after modifying it. Otherwise it is considered "building" a restricted imported semi automatic weapon and is against the law. Of course, I see these things with all the "evil" after market features for sale all over the place, and no one seems to be prosecuted under 922r. I decided to keep my sks all stock just to be covered. Incidentally there are a lot of US made parts available for these imports to get them under 10 foreign parts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, Ive never read about anyone getting in trouble for a 922. Ive even asked an ATF agent about it and they said Just dont do anything stupid with it.

Still, its good not to take any chances on some Agent thats haveing a bad day and wants to give you crap.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Your best bet on getting hit with a 922 conviction would be committing a firearm related crime or other crime where they take your guns. Just gives the prosecutor more things to convict you with. Best to leave the imports stock and help the economy by putting the accessories on your nicer US made weapons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I like this thing too much to set it aside. I'll do the US parts count & order as appropo. What ARE the best choices? Prior to Stock, postol grip & AK74 M.Brake it was bone stock. If you wanted to keep it, what would you add to get it legal and still improve things?

·
Registered
302 Posts
These are things you CAN change, you dont have to do them all

G2 fire control group.. They are sweet Best feeling trigger ever made PLUS its 3 parts.
Forward handguard
Pistol grip, if you got one from Tapco, you got this.
Stock, You have this covered with the Tapco stock
Muzzle break, You may have this.
Gas piston if you can get if off...
Mag, This one is the best. Your Body follower and floor plate all count as 3 parts.

Im not sure what the parts count on the 90's are but im sure its around or someone here knows.

It sure is a pain in the ass, its taken me alot of time and money to convert Uzi's FAL's and some AK's to comply to this stupid pointless law.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts