FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean why not? It's just the most common rifle in the world, and I don't have one. And therein, lies some of the problem. So many variants, so many to choose from...

What do the AK experts have to say on the topic? Which ones to avoid, which ones to look for? What's a fair price in today's climate? I kinda like this one from Kentucky Gun Company, but they are out of stock. Century International GP WASR-10 Hi-Capacity Rifle 7.62X39 Price seems pretty good.

Local shop has these in stock. Any and all advise appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
The WASR will work. It will shoot 100% of the time. Its not the nicest AK on the block or even mid grade but it will work. If you want an AK that will go boom every time and sling lead down range then you're good. If you want a really good AK look at Aresenal. That being said what are you planning on doing with your AK? Are you going to beat the tar out of it? That's what AKs are good for.

Reactions: akitainu and Hebs

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Everyone needs at least one.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I know I don't want an AK pistol, nor a long barrel sniper. I'm fine with a new old stock rifle, but don't want a parts gun that's been around since 1947 and shot out. I see a lot that are advertised as Romanian, or Yugoslav, but I'm not really sure which country is better or worse than the other. Pretty sure I don't want one from China. I don't really need one that's all Gucci'd up, but would probably end up changing the furniture from wood to synthetic, and adding a folding stock, like the one in the link.

I guess what I'm looking for is advise like, "Avoid Chinese guns. Romanian rifles are better built than Russian rifles. Don't get one manufactured before 1955. Look for Chrome lined barrel and chamber. Look for this compensator, avoid this other one." As there are so many variants, some have to be better than others, and I need to figure out what to look for before I pull the trigger...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah... What Kam said. If you just want the rifle that shoots all the time and don't care about extreme accuracy... the WASR is perfect. Too bad they've gone up in price so much now. I think I got mine for $350 back in `09. I just stained the stock and hand guard the other day. Looks great. :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
The WASR will work. It will shoot 100% of the time. Its not the nicest AK on the block or even mid grade but it will work. If you want an AK that will go boom every time and sling lead down range then you're good. If you want a rewlly good AK look at Aresenal. That being said what are you planning on doing with your AK? Are you going to beat the tar out of it? That's what AKs are good for.
+1 on this. QC at Century have improved a lot lately and they are able to reduce the number of issues associated with the early WASRs. Yeah Arsenal is nice but there isn't a huge margin of performance or reliability difference. Law of diminishing return definitely applies when you are talking about AKs.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't buy a WSAR. You will probably be sorry like me down the road. I have bought two. One is twisted beyond all get out. the other had canted front sights that i had to fix...mostly. Any Century product improted should be just fine, but the ones made here in the states, I am convinced they have blind monkey's with labotomy's putting them together. If you can look the gun over first... Maybe. but know what you are looking for.

Things may have changed since i bought mine, but I will still not pay for anything Century built again.

Pay more for a quality product like Arsenal, or VEPER. or something NOT built in the U.S.A. by Century. The WASR is built from a parts kit of surplus parts, and not converted like Arsenal and VEPR rifles.

Watch this vid by Jim Fuller. He is one of, if not the best AK builder in the U.S.

That's probably much more than 2 cents worth... but there you go.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you decide to go with a WSAR you can always send it to Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller) and he can rebuild it right for about 600-700 bucks.

Chineese ones believe it or not are some of the best. My cousin has a Norinco Type 56. It is absolutly beutiful. But quite pricey now!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually Chinese AKs are very nicely built.
Interesting, saw that in the video Donnie posted, really surprised me. Thanks for that. This is the kind of advise I need... :?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Like you i have been bitten by the AK bug. Probably because of my Vepr12 purchase. At any rate here is a buyers guide that i found to be very informative and the stuff contained therein matches up with conversations ive had and videos i've watched about AK Products.

The AK Buyer's Guide - A Beginner's Guide to the AK Platform (ask all new AK questions in here) - AR15.COM

also when talking about low to mid range AKs it is probably better to buy in person rather than order online because a lot of people seem to get ones with canted sites or barrels.

Reactions: FLTRI

·
Registered
6,615 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This video helped me understand the AK a bit more i think.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Don't buy a WSAR. You will probably be sorry like me down the road. I have bought two. One is twisted beyond all get out. the other had canted front sights that i had to fix...mostly. Any Century product improted should be just fine, but the ones made here in the states, I am convinced they have blind monkey's with labotomy's putting them together. If you can look the gun over first... Maybe. but know what you are looking for.

Things may have changed since i bought mine, but I will still not pay for anything Century built again.

Pay more for a quality product like Arsenal, or VEPER. or something NOT built in the U.S.A. by Century. The WASR is built from a parts kit of surplus parts, and not converted like Arsenal and VEPR rifles.

Watch this vid by Jim Fuller. He is one of, if not the best AK builder in the U.S.

That's probably much more than 2 cents worth... but there you go.
yep arsenal is where it is at. The new sam7 series is about the nicest ak ever built via production. They also have side folders and the new under folder.

Here is Mac to agree with me!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called my local shop, Lock & Load. They have the ones I posted the picture to in my first post, I'll attach it here again. It's a Century Arms, Romanian AK and is new, not a refurb. What do you think, is this a quality AK, or should I look elsewhere?

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
I mean why not? It's just the most common rifle in the world, and I don't have one. And therein, lies some of the problem. So many variants, so many to choose from...

What do the AK experts have to say on the topic? Which ones to avoid, which ones to look for? What's a fair price in today's climate? I kinda like this one from Kentucky Gun Company, but they are out of stock. Century International GP WASR-10 Hi-Capacity Rifle 7.62X39 Price seems pretty good.

Local shop has these in stock. Any and all advise appreciated...
Personally, I wouldn't buy from the people that made that flyer because of their misuse of the apostrophe. AK-47's (sic). *face palm*
But maybe that's just me. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
the Chinese AK's are actually very nice, have a beautiful finish on the metal and a silky smooth trigger, i have a MAK90 square back i de-neutered, i also have an Arsenal AK-74 in 5.45 my only suggestion is to stay clear of century built AK's (i took a century AK on a motorcycle trade a few years ago and had one heck of a time getting rid of it)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts