FN Herstal Firearms banner

So I'm reading about .mil contracts and the Scar rifles

9K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Cadpack 
#1 ·
I read that the .mil had contracts for 16's & 17's and cancelled the 16 contract in part because the 17 can be converted to a 16. How is that done? The magwell would seem to be a problem?

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
To convert the MK17 to 5.56mm it consists of a kit, this is what the kit contains.

Kit, Conversion, 5.56 mm, MK 17 MOD 0
1 Unique 5.56 mm Conversion Bolt Carrier
2 Drive Rod Index
3 Unique 5.56 mm Conversion Return Spring
Assembly
4 MK 16 MOD 0 Bolt Assembly
5 Unique 5.56 mm Conversion Firing Pin
6 Unique 5.56 mm Conversion Trigger Module
7 Magazine, 30 round, 5.56 mm, MK 16 MOD 0

#23 ·
I wonder how much of a caliber conversion could be accomplished with a series of adapters rather than entire unique sub-assemblies instead?

Make a set of adapters to use plain vanilla SCAR 16 lowers, bolt carriers, etc..

I love the multi caliber idea and would buy in even if they were pricey and would hope against hope that everything from pistol caliber sub-gun to ak47 and ak74 magazine compatible setups were forthcoming.

I would probably get rid of every semi-auto in my collection and just own SCAR 17s with various multi-caliber setups.

#24 ·
Honestly the more I get into firearms the less I dig caliber conversions / etc.

I get it for people in countries like German where you can only have so many firearms, so it's great to have one pistol that can fire 5 calibers, etc.

But here in the US, I much prefer a complete firearm that I don't need to screw with, resight in, etc. etc.

#28 ·
I completely agree with that. I'd much rather have another rifle. I kind of have a caliber conversion-two uppers for my AR (5.56 and 264 LBC). But, I'm going to build another lower for the 264 upper.

#30 ·
It would be nice to have multiple calibers and barrel lengths available on a SCAR 17S SBR.
1 tax stamp, 6 barrel lengths in 2 calibers.

It would also be a little lighter if you intended to travel with your SCAR setup. 1 Pelican case with everything you need to cover several shooting disciplines.

Oh well, I will be neck deep in SCAR 17s and 16S stuff long before a caliber conversion makes it's way into the civilian market so it's a moot point anyway.

#35 ·
FN makes the M2, M240 and the M249. All with Quick change barrels (quicker in the case of the M2). It's not like they don't have experience with it.

The reason they have screws on the SCAR is because they needed to guarantee less than 1 MOA shift between barrel changes.

If they could have gotten away with something like the AUG or ACR's barrel change, they would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.