FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be plenty of it out there for about .38 - .40 per round. Do you guys think it will drop any lower over the next 6 mo. barring any Sandy Hook type incidences or is this the new baseline?

I should add I am referring to American made brass cased stuff or equal quality import.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
There seems to be plenty of it out there for about .38 - .40 per round. Do you guys think it will drop any lower over the next 6 mo. barring any Sandy Hook type incidences or is this the new baseline?

I should add I am referring to American made brass cased stuff or equal quality import.
Barring another major incident I see prices dropping but not till near the end of the year, once it starts sitting on shelves at distributors they will look to move it. My feeling is the lack of powder is one of the things keeping the prices high along with people willing to pay stupid prices, I haven't bought a box of ammo since last sept. and I would not have bought that but I got it a dealer price.

I just roll my own till the prices reset.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I do think .35-.40 is the new norm. Like gas and food, once it goes up it seems to never come down.

I bought alot 2 or 3 years ago from Target Sports USA for $299 shipped, that was 1000 rounds of 62gr LC green tip.

Have you guys considered looking at 5.45x39? Its pretty comparable to 556 and alot cheaper to shoot.

Theres some nice AK74's to be had now.. You can get 5.45 7N6 delivered for @.17 a round. Its corrosive, but I clean my rifles after every use so corrosive doesnt matter to me.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I reload but 7.5$/20 seems to be the lowest rate I could find on brass cased ammo. Remember better to have more than you need than to not have enough and have to pay 2x what its worth. I picked up 6k of 5.7 ammo back in 2010 for 16$ a box now it is 38-30$ a box. Ammo prices never go down over a amortized time line.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Its a shame that our sport is in jeopardy every time a nut-job pulls off some crazy $hit. That sucks !

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good. Not familiar with the mfg. Have you shot much of it yet? How does it perform?

·
Administrator
11,236 Posts
As long as people will pay that price, it will sell for what it is. Only when it stops selling and starts backlogging on the store shelves and at the distributors will the price drop.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I do think .35-.40 is the new norm. Like gas and food, once it goes up it seems to never come down.

I bought alot 2 or 3 years ago from Target Sports USA for $299 shipped, that was 1000 rounds of 62gr LC green tip.

Have you guys considered looking at 5.45x39? Its pretty comparable to 556 and alot cheaper to shoot.

Theres some nice AK74's to be had now.. You can get 5.45 7N6 delivered for @.17 a round. Its corrosive, but I clean my rifles after every use so corrosive doesnt matter to me.
I have a spikes middy ar and a SW carbine ar I shoot 5.45x39 out of. I miss the days of $119 for 1080 rounds, but the $169 to $189 now is still a lot cheaper than 5.56x45.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts