FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the manual about what FN recommends for maintaining my beautiful FNS and it was a little weird and borderline contradictory if I may. They first said use a light gun oil....whatever that means. And then they recommended in the before firing section, that you lubricate "all moving parts" but on the next page or so in the after firing section, they pointed out what to lubricate. Odd, but I was hoping you guys could clear that up for me. Or if you guys are as confused as I am, let me know I'm not alone.
Anyways, I just did a review on the FNS after the first time shooting it and I was hoping you guys and gals would check it out and see if it leaves anything out or if I missed something:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eJSOosxCsE

·
Registered
39 Posts
....."light oil" would be whatever oil you use for your lights, like whale or seal blubber, coconut oil...whatever is appropriate for your climate and locale :?:

...seriously, any of the common brand name firearm lubes will do. Some of the "thicker" lubes such as FrogLube, Seal-1 and others with suspended teflon particulates (BreakFree) actually thin out once applied and under use. Don't let it confuse you over the "moving parts" statement followed by the specified lube points, it just ensures the parts that "move against" each other are lubed to facilitate their functioning properly and don't bind up. Over applying lube to ALL moving points won't hurt anything but will increase clean-up process. The greatest danger in over oiling would be an increased accumulation of residue from firing "gumming" up and decreasing reliability, but that would take ALOT of rounds (case quantities most likely) to happen.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always understood most gun oil was light, but that you were supposed to lightly oil gun parts. Too much oil can be a bad thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use breakfree now on the FNS. It runs smooth and the gun has a wipe clean finish thanks to the breakfree. It leaves a nice slick surface if you soak overnight, and then wipe off in the morning. Definitely not what I was issued in the marines!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been very happy with Shooters Choice FP-10 on mine. If done quite a bit of testing and it did the best job of lubricating even after it was wiped off. Used on many different styles and materials.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have been very happy with Shooters Choice FP-10 on mine. If done quite a bit of testing and it did the best job of lubricating even after it was wiped off. Used on many different styles and materials.
No argument on FP-10. (good oil ) Using it mostly on my average price... stock guns. Now, when it comes to my higher priced & customised sidearms..I choose Weapons Shield oil & grease (better oil)
Steel shield Industries....Bethel Park , Pa.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was researching the FNS-9, this is the YT video that was the most help to me. Short, concise, informative, variety of action and close up shots, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts