FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,
My owner's manual skips over this part, I assume it either serves for alignment or as a gusset or reinforcement but I just gotta know.. What does this do? (I hope this forum is okay with stupid questions - guess I'll find out!)

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
It (and the one on the other side) protects/supports 4 of the the screws that hold the barrel in place.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yup, while protecting the screw heads, it protects your hands from them as well.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I imagined it would be simple. It has such a purposeful shape on the outside, I didn't want to miss out on anything.

Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Okay,
My owner's manual skips over this part, I assume it either serves for alignment or as a gusset or reinforcement but I just gotta know.. What does this do? (I hope this forum is okay with stupid questions - guess I'll find out!)

View attachment 37210

One of the great purposes of a forum is for those with knowledge, experience, and answers to share those with others - as evidenced by this thread. Most of the time you'll find polite and enthusiastic answers to whatever "stupid" question comes up - so don't hesitate to ask them. You're not the first person to wonder what purpose those doohickies serve, and you're right in your observation the normal SCAR manual is not the place to get an answer. You will occasionally see - or get - responses from someone whose patience with a topic has worn thin, or who simply forgets what it was like to not be an "expert" - and you just have to take it with the appropriate grain of salt and move on and hope those folks aren't getting paid to teach somewhere. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The polymer screw support blocks function: House the fasteners so they do not fall out when removing the barrel, as well as housing the leaf springs which interface with the splines on the fasteners so the fasteners do not back out after being tightened to 62 in/lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts