FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local gun show guy had a NIB SOCOM 16, 13 factory mags, 1000 rounds of ammo and factory sling for $2700. It was very difficult for me to walk away......and sad....

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Local gun show guy had a NIB SOCOM 16, 13 factory mags, 1000 rounds of ammo and factory sling for $2700. It was very difficult for me to walk away......and sad....
Look on the bright side... A Scar17 costs 25-2700$... :biggrin:

SCAR 17s vs SOCOM16:

Just sayin...

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Reactions: Spilz and Hellfire

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Thread moved.

Reactions: superwrench1

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I sold mine to fund my 17s purchase. I'm glad I did but I'll miss it till I replace it :twisted:

Attachments

Reactions: Hellfire

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll consider buying a 17 when I see one at, or below $2K.

I'm totally content with my M14s until that happens.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sorry, got all excited and posted it in the wrong spot!
My 17s would not be sad to have the SOCOM next to it, would it?
Hell no it wouldn't be sad!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Might be p\ssing off some die hard fans, but I don't get the appeal of a M1A or in this case a shorten version of it, especially when you have a 17 in hand. Maybe I'm biased cause I lugged an M14 around for 4 years. That thing is heavy, ergo on it doesn't work for me and a real b|tch to take down. The only positive thing I will say is that they are built like a rock.

Reactions: H2O MAN

·
Registered
101 Posts
Might be p\ssing off some die hard fans, but I don't get the appeal of a M1A or in this case a shorten version of it, especially when you have a 17 in hand. Maybe I'm biased cause I lugged an M14 around for 4 years. That thing is heavy, ergo on it doesn't work for me and a real b|tch to take down. The only positive thing I will say is that they are built like a rock.
I am moving forward with the acquisition of a pre-owned 17 (if I can find one).
This will allow me to compare the two carbines and maybe keep both, or just one.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I am moving forward with the acquisition of a pre-owned 17 (if I can find one).
This will allow me to compare the two carbines and maybe keep both, or just one.
Here's my list of deciding factors between the two

Ergonomics- SCAR. Adjustable side folding stock, optic ready, etc, etc.

Weight- SCAR. About a half pound lighter. I had the Troy MCS platform and it was a few pounds heavier than stock but, it fit my shooting style preference better than the stock platform

Reliability- Tie. I could argue that the SOCOM 16 is not battle proven like the SCAR but, we all know that it's daddy is so I'll leave it at that.

Accuracy- SCAR. Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel gives sub MOA accuracy all day. I could not get my SOCOM 16's groups under 1.5 MOA. It was frustrating. Probably just me, but frustrating.

Cost- SOCOM 16. It costs a little over a grand less than the SCAR. I was about $2,500 into mine with the Troy platform, flip up sights and Vltor stock. That's not the ideal setup for everyone. The couple hundred dollar difference was worth the weight savings alone to me.

After weighing those factors and going with my gut, I chose the SCAR 17s. I have no regrets other than I wish I was wealthy enough to justify keeping both. I really liked my SOCOM 16 but could not get over how front heavy it felt to me. As my go to rifle, it just wasn't right. Those were MY deciding factors and are based on MY experience. I will purchase another M1a but it will most likely be a scout squad next time.

I hope you are able to keep both!:?

Reactions: H2O MAN
1 - 17 of 17 Posts