FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted these elsewhere to other forums, and keep getting reffered here, but I couldn't post here because I still had not gotten the activation E-Mail, well I finnaly got it. Some of these have been answered already, but I figured I'de ask them all again just incase theres someone else wanting to know the same thing, that, and I already have it copied this way :wink: .

I'm considering buying a PS90, but I have a few questions:

Is $1,700 a fair price?, whats the going market price?

I know the P90 can come ith in integrated laser, is that available on the PS90?, if so how much extra would it cost?

I see the standard PS90, and PS90 Tri-Rail, and I see those 2 models available, but I also see pictures of some P90's that appear to be standard configuration NOT Tri-Rail that have a rail to eighther side, is this a seperate model? Is the PS90 available in this configuration?, if not can it be redily modified? I want the origional configuration, I actualy LIKE the stock sights, nor do I want to have to buy an expensive optic for my already expensive weapon, but at the same time I would like to be able to mount a light, and maybe a laser, so this would be the ideal configuration.

This is what I'm talking about:

I assume thats a PS90, as opposed to a P90, but is it?

But this is the only configuration I can find:

I see little holes on the side ware the rail should be, are those simply screw holes to attch the rail yourself?, or are they something else? If they are screw holes where can I find the rails?

What part of the PS90 is considered the firearm, the upper reciever, or the lower reciever?, if it's the lower reciever is it the right half, or the left half?

What are the Ballistics of SS195LF out of a 16 inch barrel?, whats the muzzle velocity?, whats the muzzle energy?, how much calibrated ballistics geleton will it penetrate?, how much calibrated ballistics geleton will it penetrate after first passing through a Level 3A vest?

Does the SS195LF expand at all, or does it behave like an FMJ?, are any of the other bullet types more effective out of a 16 inch barrel than the SS195LF?

Does Wolf make 5.7x28 yet, or anyone else?, if so what kind?

Is there ANY SS190 available anywhere? I know it's "Armor Piercing", and hence illegal to import for mere peasents, but I have seen single rounds before in "cartridge collections", how is that getting in?, wheres it comeing from?, can I get it anywhere even as single rounds?

Are the stock sights adjustable?

Are there differant kinds of stock sights?, the gunshop near me has 2 PS90's in 1 black one, and 1 green one, the sights on the black one are fuzzy, and I don't think they illuminate, the sights on the green one are VERY sharp, and illuminate when you move to a dark area. I want the black one, but I like the sights on the Green one ALOT better, do the differant colors normaly come with differant sights?, or is the Black one simply older than the Green one, and the sights have since been updated?

If there is an issue with the stock sights, or anything else for that matter will FN Fix it?, if so for how much?, hows there warrenty, and customor service?

Are there any physical differances between the Green, and Black ones like there is with the Styer Aug?, can I simply swap the upper receiver from the Green one, with the Black one?, if I do that will it impact any future collectors value like it did with the Styer Aug? (A Black Styer Aug is worth more than a Green one, but only if it's an origional Black one, not simply a Green one that was died, or swapped with a black lower reciever.)

Is $22.50 for a box of 50 rounds a fair price?

If $50 per 50 round magazine a fair price?

Are there any politicly correct 5 round "hunting" magazines available?, is there a way to temporarily block a 50 rounder to 5 rounds? (This is to allow for hunting in magazine capacity restricted states, and locales.)

Will the normal P90 suppressor fit a PS90?, if not what kinds of suppressors will fit a PS90? Can 5.56 suppressors be used with 5.7x28? (Michigan may become a suppressor state if our Attorney General ever gets around to it.)

I heard something about the barrel really being SBR length, but a long tube for the flash suppressor is permanently attached to bring it out to legal length, kindof like the AR-15's with 11.4 inch barrel, and a 5.5 inch flash surpressor permanently attached, is this true, or is it a true 16 inch barrel?

Will a P90 barrel fit a PS90?, or are they machined differantly?

Whats the physical differance between a P90, and a PS90 beyond the obviouse of the PS90 being semi auto only, I don't see any external differences, so what is it just a differant trigger pack?

Can the PS90 be used in most indoor ranges?

Anything else I should know about the PS90, or 5.7x28 ammunition?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I paid $1500 for my PS90 with sight.

$50 is a good price on the mags.

I see the ammo for from $18.95 to $21.95 a box.

I just got one. You'll love it!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Your images didn't post because U need the entire URL - even the "HTTP" part.

$1700 - that is high for a PS90 with the standard white ringed sight. Prev, the black models were $100 more than green ones. I don't know if that is true anymore, though. I paid $1499 for my black PS90 in Dec 2006. I could have gotten a green one for $1397 at the time if I had wanted.

Now, even for a tri rail, that is a tiny bit high (the tri rail has no sight) - but fair. For the black ringed sight version, I suppose it is a fair price. U might save a few bucks if ya looked around online - but by the time U pay the FFL fees and shipping, it wouldn't be worth it.

So, you price is dependant on which version U were looking at.

As for the laser - NO, they do not sell the PS90 with the integral laser installed, unfortunately. You must order the parts from a dealer in Hong Kong, and then either install it yourself or have a gunsmith do it. It involves cutting holes in your stock - so I would be cautious.

As for the standard version of the PS90s U are seeing with rails attached in place of the stock sight - These are optic rails we are purchasing. U just remove the stock sight with a proper sized allen wrench, and then put the rail on yourself. Take just a few minutes. MPF Tech (a sponsor above) has them for sale if you click on his banner at the top of the page. Critical Dimensions, another sponsor here, is about to release one too. He doesn't have a website yet, but he sells from his subsection here on the forum. Besides those two sponsors, there are other sites that sell them as well. The prices kind of vary, depending on who U order them for. You can also attach side rails, and they are forsale as well.

The firearm? It is the received. And, on the PS90 - U have the plastic stock, and then the entire metal part is 1 part. There is no upper and lower/left or right.

Wolf does not make ammo for the gun, and the 195 does not expand like pistol hollow points. It tumbles. It penetrated further than the 197, but doesn't expand as much. The 197 expands well, but won't penetrate super far. For defense - I still like the 197 the best for the expansion. SOme people agree, and others want the 195. U could load the mags with both maybe, alternating. Up to U.

As for ballistic speed info. That is on Wikipedia and also in the 5.7 ammo section if U look. I do not remember the numbers off hand.

Next - your question about black and green stocks and their sights. There are two versions of the sights. A black ringed sight and a white ringed sight. They each come available on green and black stocks. So, that means 4 variations. The white ringed sight sucks. Most of us has changed to after market sights and used an optic rail to mount them - because the white ringed sight sucks. The black ringed sight is much better - but for the $200 more that they charge for it, I'd rather just buy the cheaper one, and mount my own optic.

$22.50 is too high - U can find the ammo for $16.99-$17.99 online. And, U can save more if you bought 2000 rounds at one time. Even with shipping, I can usually save money buy buying online. Order a few boxes at a time, and you are even better off further.

There are 10 round mags available - Then, the gun comes with a 30 round mag that U can convert to a 50 round mag. And, then U can also buy 50 round mags. No other mag capacities are available, and no other way to modify a mag.

No, only fake suppressors are available - They are essentially barrel shrouds. For a real one, U need to buy a short barrel from CMMG - and also pay the ATF fees. To short arrel the PS90 - it is about $500 total with the parts and govt fees if you do it yourself, and $600 total is U pay CMMG to do it (U would also have the shipping costs that way).

I shoot my PS90 at my indoor range if I want. But the range is only 15 yards - so it isn't much fun. Others claim that they are not allowed to - it is up to the range...

Wow... mucho questions. Maybe split them up into seperate posts next time :p :p :p

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Oh, as for the approval - I approve everyone w/ a few hours of their application - but the software is slow to send out the confirmation emails - usually taking several hours. You probably could have come signed in and it would have worked for you even before you got the email telling you that you had been approved. I have no control on the time it takes for that email to go out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Nice thorough answer Ship.

The AP ammo isn't illegal in many states. FN just choses not to sell it. Currently there is only one other manufacturer of 5.7x28mm, he doesn't have a website but you can find him selling his stuff on this forum.

The riddle of steel folks will do a short barrel conversion for $200, bringing the total cost of the project to $400 ($500 with engraving).
Visit www.promotedpawn.com and you can get an idea of what a laser installation involves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One way to make a five round mag would be to measure the additional length required to decrease a 30 rounder to a 5 rounder. Then take a spare 30 round "filler/block" and dremel cut it to the right length and then epoxy it to the top of the 30 round filler/block.

Don't know if it would work, but seems like it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts