FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else ever had this happen?

It took staring at it for a while before I realized that the end of the pin (that you push up on to unlock the front sight) had completely sheared off. In the interest of total (and embarrassing) disclosure... the rifle, at one point, decided to tip from the sandbags on the table and fell to the ground while I was out there - however, the only thing I could tell that had happened was the E.A.C.H. got scuffed up a bit. Certainly no Peruvian 14 foot concrete drop test or anything of that nature.

I'll get it fixed one way or another, and the rifle continues to function and fire accurately. I just thought it to be the strangest thing have break off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looking at the front sight, it looks like it got a pretty good mark on the top. Right next to where the pin was sheared you can see some shiny metal. Looks like the front sight was pushed down with enough force to shear that pin. Props. Time for some major optics!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the front sight, it looks like it got a pretty good mark on the top. Right next to where the pin was sheared you can see some shiny metal. Looks like the front sight was pushed down with enough force to shear that pin. Props. Time for some major optics!
If you're referring to that scuff on the circular hood - that's been there forever, and is most definitely not a crack. Any other marks on the surface were from me messing about with a screwdriver trying to get the pin to unlock.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Strange indeed.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Holy **** Brady!! That is crazy. When the rifle fell, what are the odds that it landed on the button? Obviously, it landed wrong... But to just shear off is weird, really weird.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Maybe Sarge could help you out ? Bet FN..... if you can deal with a huge wait time would warranty it !
Never had that happen, but I have had my challenges.... like the mags that crack in the 90 bends of the corners of the bottom plate .....
Or the blemishes that some how happen while my guns are stored in my vault " while locked up ".... culprits below, ( kids ) oh brother.... they destroy everything ! Prom 14 004.jpg

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the front sight became inoperable without fiddling with a tool after the locking knob sheered off??
Correct. To answer McC's question - the front sight was up, but as far as I could tell it wasn't impacted that hard or in a way that I could see a lot of stress being applied to that specific part (which if anyone is curious is CAT#147 - Front Sight Assembly Latch). I could certainly stand to be wrong though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knowing that the front sight was up, I stand behind my theory: an impact to that created the force that sheared the pin off.
That's all I can figure. I did manage to get the sight off and a very kind lady at FN said they would replace it for me free of charge :?

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I would provide a quick update, and say thank you to FNH!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good to see it's been taken care of and fixed up for you.

And a thanks to you too sir for a post way back when detailing the removal of the front sight - and for all the other resources that FNF provides! Couldn't have done this myself without the help I got here from the tribe.

Reactions: Talhoffer

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Looks good as new! :?

Reactions: Brady
1 - 17 of 17 Posts