FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
VERY pricey.
Not really. 50 rounds of FTX for my 45 is the better part of $60ish. I've seen the 5.7 Gold Dot advertised, nobody actually has it for sale yet, for $35 for 50 rounds. That's also significantly less than some of the other high performance offerings from the various 5.7 ammo sources.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Compared to other premium factory self defense ammo, it is about par for the course. The price will come down too as more of it gets on the market.

Compared to the exotic handmade ammo, it is downright cheap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And it will poke through various armor.. This 40gr GD looks to be about 1790 fps and won't probably go through any armor..
It doesn't hurt to have AP ammo, but for typical self-defense I see little use in it unless you are in a war zone. Therefore I prefer ammo that penetrates soft tissue to 12-16 inches and expands instead of tumbling or fragmenting. YMMV

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It doesn't hurt to have AP ammo, but for typical self-defense I see little use in it unless you are in a war zone. Therefore I prefer ammo that penetrates soft tissue to 12-16 inches and expands instead of tumbling or fragmenting. YMMV
but also remember that about 2000 fps is where that temporary stretch cavity can become permanent. A 40gr bullet at 1790 fps may lack that ability, and may only cause damage by direct impact of it's path. We shall see. I'm all for the round as it will bring more attention to it, and hope that other places start loading for it too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And it will poke through various armor.. This 40gr GD looks to be about 1790 fps and won't probably go through any armor..

True enough, I wonder what it will do out of a PS90. If it will expand and penetrate enough to anchor a feral hog, or other pests that's good enough for my needs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please save yourself some money and look at Midwest Gun Works.......SS198 is $28 or less per box. FYI
The SS198LR really isn't the best option for armor penetration since it's basically the "leavings" of the original SS190 with the steel penetrator. Despite their impressive speed, the 27gr. bullets are limited by having an aluminum core with swaged on copper jacket left open front and back. In penetration tests you can see the core extruded out the back with the bullet embedded in the target material. This is a case where the core is lighter than the jacket and the base is wide open for the core to be pressed out the back. Sure if you get it going fast enough it's going to punch through Kevlar, but steel plate will be difficult. This is why you see the custom bullet loaders using solid copper slugs in the 32-34gr. weight - and they have certainly tried to go lighter but the bullets didn't perform as well. Also, even the all-copper bullets are still relatively "soft" when they hit steel, though the nose tends to collapse inward aiding penetration.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Given that the 5.7 28mm has the reputatiion as "Cop killer". I'll bet you're correct. I'd like to see what it'll do though.
Penetrating Kevlar isn't all about having a pointy tip. A JHP with the right kind of jacket can also get through and even a JHP with plenty of exposed lead such as the Armscor 40gr. JHP can penetrate TL3A when fired at .22 TCM velocities of 2,050-2,100fps. I would expect Armscor's 39gr. stub-nose JHP to be very good at defeating kevlar because the jacket edges go all the way to the hollow nose, so when it hits - spinning like a tiny "hole saw" it tends to slice the fibers. With the newer polyethylene layered vests I think a "cutter nose" might work better than a point - unless of course that point is shaped like a 3 or 4 sided "bodkin" which will tend to cut rather than just push through.
The real secret of the .224" penetration from these handguns isn't brute force, it's kinetic energy per unit of cross-section. For example, a Barnes TSX 45gr. at 1,810fps making 327fpe has a Pfac of 12.9 (FPE/mm2), compared to a 9mm 124gr. at 1,150fps/364fpe having a Pfac of 5.7 due to a cross-section of 63.86mm2 for the 9mm and 25.42 for the .224" bullet. Even the vaunted 7.62 Tokarev pushing an 85gr. bullet at 1,600fps/483fpe only generates a Pfac of 9.9 which is certainly good enough to make a dent on thick steel plate and pass through thicker plate than the 9mm, but tends to fall behind the 5.7x28/.22TCM/5.56x24 and of course this is all variable and the harder the bullet and more pointy the nose, the better chance any of them have going through stuff.

I think the hardest test is a thick laminate of Lexan. A single sheet is relatively easy to defeat, but layer it up to an inch and even many of the mighty magnums fail, while the 5.7x28 can make it through. Again it comes down to cross-section for the initial punch, but then surface area will become a major factor to impeding even a 500 magnum, which needs a 380gr. slug going 1,450fps/1,774fpe only has a Pfac of 14 thanks to a cross-section of 127mm2. A standard .44 magnum load Pfac is around 11 which is a lot, but consider how much "gun" is needed and even then, unless the right bullet is used, they may still be stopped by a TL3A vest.

I believe .22Plinkster on YouTube put an SS198LF through a 1" thick section of Lexan and few other rounds made it through.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
^ The 22 TCM bullet is stopped by higher end multi material IIIA. That's the bad part. Lead core, jacketed bullets have a better tendency to penetrate steel (5.7 AE TMJ bullet, and Armscor 40gr and M193), but can be stopped by UHMWPE layers found in a lot of IIIA. SS190, and exotic copper rounds can defeat those panels and even rigid versions of those panels, but as noted, those don't do very well against steel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It has been about a month since the Shot show.

No Speer ammo on the market yet. I have not seen any independent gel tests.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts